Harmonic Balancer replacement by Jim_Martin29
Started on: 12-23-2010 05:35 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: Tom Slick on 12-18-2011 01:42 PM
Jim_Martin29

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 05:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
This is my first attempt at a repair thread with photos, so if I mess if up, please, cut me some slack.

My first clue that the harmonic balancer or dampener was bad came while I was trying to set the timing. It seemed that the timing mark would move around on me. It kept jumping positions. I also heard a rattling noise from the front of the engine. While trying to change the A/C belt my hand brush the balancer on the crankshaft and it moved. In fact it spun around on the pulley. That’s when I put it all together and realized the balancer needed to be changed.

I ordered a rebuilt balancer from Damper Doctors in Redding, California (http://www.damperdoctor.com/).

This is not a reproduction damper or one made for another engine and remarked. This is a rebuilt Fiero damper, and it looks like new. They do very good work.

The first thing I did was to mask off the damper for painting. The damper arrived painted black. I wanted to paint the timing mark white.

So I masked off everything except the deep slot for the timing mark, then I sanded the area lightly, tacked it off (to clean off the sanding dust) and painted it with primer . . .

then with white. I put on about three coats and topped it off with a little clear, to try and protect it a bit.

The contrast between the black and white of the finished paint job make the timing mark so much easier to see. I did this job a few months ago and the timing was so easy to set after this. The mark almost glows when setting the timing.

I let the paint set while I then started removing to old harmonic dampener. I went to the local parts store (in this case Autozone) and checked out a harmonic balancer puller and an installer (they are two separate tool kits) from their free tool loan program.
Most parts houses loan expensive specialty tools like these.

To get to the front of the engine I took off the right rear wheel and in inside fender skirt and the dampener is right there.

First, I took off the four bolts on the face of the pulley,

then pulled out the center bolt. As I expected, as soon as I took out the center bolt a bit of motor oil came out of the center because the crankshaft seal was leaking.

Along with the dampener I also ordered a new seal.

So, I then attached the harmonic dampener puller to the front of the dampener. I put two bolts into two of the pulley bolt holes, on opposite sides so it pulls the pulley out straight. If it does not pull straight out the dampener will bind up and not come off. I snugged up the two bolts so they were even then started tightening the center bolt.

Within a few turns the dampener popped right off . . .

and the pieces fell to the floor.

Then I used an inexpensive seal puller to get the old oil seal out.

The seal puller helped a lot. It seems like it would have been a real pain to get the seal out without the puller.

This is the new seal and the 1 3/8-inch socket I used to drive the seal in.

I lined up the seal and tapped it in with a dead-fall mallet. It went in pretty easily.

The next step was to prepare the installation tool.

The kit is a universal installation kit so there are a lot of pieces that were not needed.

This is all that was needed. I assembled the tool on the dampener first to make sure I had it right.

The bolt goes through the hollow, threaded shaft and the treaded fitting goes on the end. The fitting treads into the center of the crankshaft to pull the dampener on.
Then the bearing supplied in the kit goes on the end of the shaft followed by the nut.

The whole assembly slides into the harmonic balancer and then the end screws into the crankshaft.

At this point you just have to hold onto the balancer and tighten the nut. The balancer slides right onto the crankshaft and it’s done.

Then it’s just a matter of putting the pulley, belts, fender skirts and wheel.

The whole job took an afternoon. It was not bad at all.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Excellent write-up and photos are super clear Jim. Thanks for taking the time to put this together. A "+" for you.
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Great job Jim! Great info. That has to be the worse 2.8 Damper I have seen.

Pat
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I was going to do a write-up on rebuilding the alternator when my bearings went out but the alternator was beyond repair and just had to be replaced.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Excellent and detailed right up!

Originally posted by Jim_Martin29:

then pulled out the center bolt. As I expected, as soon as I took out the center bolt a bit of motor oil came out of the center because the crankshaft seal was leaking.

Always a good idea to replace the oil seal when replacing, or just removing and reinstalling the balancer, but the oil you see when you removed the center bolt is not from the oil seal leaking, rather from oil getting between the crankshaft and the balancer itself. The seal only keeps it from getting past the outer piece of the balancer, and nothing to do with the oil behind the centerbolt. You can put a small bead of sealer on the washer where it seals to the front of the balancer to prevent it from leaking out, if it tries to get by there again.

Kevin

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 11:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

... the oil you see when you removed the center bolt is not from the oil seal leaking, rather from oil getting between the crankshaft and the balancer itself. The seal only keeps it from getting past the outer piece of the balancer, and nothing to do with the oil behind the centerbolt.

Yup. Oil creeps up the keyway slot. I smear a bit of silicone on the key's surfaces to seal it.

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:

Yup. Oil creeps up the keyway slot. I smear a bit of silicone on the key's surfaces to seal it.

Thanks, that's good to know.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

uhlanstan

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 427
User Banned

Report this Post12-26-2010 01:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for uhlanstanSend a Private Message to uhlanstanDirect Link to This Post
This is an excellent outstanding how to post..and will benefit many uwashed Fiero owner yet to come,I have done 200 tech post,,none rise to this level !! ,may your loved ones finally realize your leadership & superiority & obey you..
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 01:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by uhlanstan:

This is an excellent outstanding how to post..and will benefit many uwashed Fiero owner yet to come,I have done 200 tech post,,none rise to this level !! ,may your loved ones finally realize your leadership & superiority & obey you..

Wow, thanks. That's cool.

My head is getting so big I keep falling over.

------------------
Jim Martin
White '86 GT
California

DMendez7

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2011 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DMendez7Send a Private Message to DMendez7Direct Link to This Post
I'm about to order a harmonic balancer from damperdoctor.com but i was wondering where you got the seal from? did Damperdoctor.com send it with the new harmonic balancer or did you purchase it separately elsewhere?
Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by DMendez7:

I'm about to order a harmonic balancer from damperdoctor.com but i was wondering where you got the seal from? did Damperdoctor.com send it with the new harmonic balancer or did you purchase it separately elsewhere?

I ordered the seal from Autozone and I also borrowed the harmonic balancer puller and the installer from Autozone through the free tool loaner program. The Damperdoctor only send the harmonic balancer (damper) and a shipping label to send the core back, not a seal or anything else to install.

Make sure you send the core back so the next person will be able to get a real Fiero harmonic balancer.

You will also need some way to drive the seal in. I used a large ratchet wrench socket bought just for that job.

Good luck
PFF
System Bot
sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 03:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Great write up, you should have put a dab of sealent in the key way on the new one. As said above.
You can also use the center bolt to install it, if you don't have an installer, just FYI.

I had that happen on a customers car once, he would shut if off and you could still hear something spinning.
We were all like what the hell is that? After awhile my friend showed up and said "I bet it's this, happened to me once" LOL

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

lateFormula

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2011 07:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lateFormulaSend a Private Message to lateFormulaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DMendez7:

This summer I replaced the balancer on my 2.8 V6. The seal is I got from my local auto parts store was from "National Wheel End Components" part number 9845. This company is a member of (ie it is owned by) the Federal Mogul family.

This post was a good resource for me when I was doing my homework on this. But one thing I'll point out. Jim has a picture above showing the harmonic balancer puller installed on the balancer. In that picture the chickenfoot base is upside down. The other side of the base is flat, which is the side that the two securing bolts should be tightened against. It's a common mistake because of how those pullers are typically packaged in their blowmolded case - many people pull the chickenfoot out and use it in the same orientation that it came out of the case. You need to flip it over so the flat side faces away from the balancer.

[This message has been edited by lateFormula (edited 10-03-2011).]

Jim_Martin29

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2011 01:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jim_Martin29Send a Private Message to Jim_Martin29Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by lateFormula:

This summer I replaced the balancer on my 2.8 V6. The seal is I got from my local auto parts store was from "National Wheel End Components" part number 9845. This company is a member of (ie it is owned by) the Federal Mogul family.

It is probably the same seal. I remember that the one I installed was made by a Federal Mogul company.
Tom Slick

Feedback score:    (24)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2011 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tom SlickSend a Private Message to Tom SlickDirect Link to This Post
great info, i'm trying this right now.

how do you keep the engine from rotating when tightening on the puller?

Edit: thanks MstangsBware for telling how.

[This message has been edited by Tom Slick (edited 12-18-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock