Nitrous kit to fit Caddy 4.9 PFI?? by jimbunt1
Started on: 11-17-2010 07:30 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Fieroseverywhere on 04-20-2011 10:05 PM
jimbunt1

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbunt1Send a Private Message to jimbunt1Direct Link to This Post
Have some questions for anyone who has been down this road.
Looking to add a 75-100 shot nitrous kit to my 4.9 with 4T60E.
Running a stickpony modified E-prom with timing and fuel changes. Currently runs a bit rich.
K&N air filter and 3" exhaust cobbled up from a Firebird formula LT1.
Car runs consistant 14.5's in the quarter mile. (sportsman class)
Wishing to get into the 13's.
1) Is there a bolt-on kit out there? Searched the archives and found that
Nitrous Oxide Systems (NOS) 05153NOS wet shot, works on the 4.9.
(Looking for confirmation before spending my hard earned paycheck)
2) Does this kits manifold spacer bolt up under the 4.9 throttle plate?
3) Should I go back to the stock timing/fuel curve before running nitrous?
4) Running the stock fiero fuel pump.Will it deliver enough fuel in this application?
5) My tranny is a bit slow shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes bumps the rev-limiter.
Will a shift kit cure this problem and does the tranny need to be dis-assembled to install the kit?
Any help would be welcomed
Jim

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 05:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jimbunt1:

Running a stickpony modified E-prom with timing and fuel changes. Currently runs a bit rich.
4) Running the stock fiero fuel pump.Will it deliver enough fuel in this application?
5) My tranny is a bit slow shifting from 1st to 2nd and sometimes bumps the rev-limiter.
Will a shift kit cure this problem and does the tranny need to be dis-assembled to install the kit?
Jim

Hey Jim, if your car is running rich then you have a wiring or mechanical issue( vss improperly wired, power steering input not wired, O2 sensors running intermittent, bad fuel pressure regulator, high fuel pressure, bad spark plugs, bad EGR valve, vacuum leak, etc) my chip reprogrammings aren't designed to run rich, as lean cruise is unaffected from stock. only Power enrichment mode has slightly added fuel, but it isn't much, the ratio being around 12.5:1-13:1, PE mode this only happens when you really step on the throttle and put your foot into it. With a 4t60e, you should get 27-30 mpg on the highway with the 4t60e, depending on your gearing. feel free to email me and i will help you locate the source of your issue.

Aaron
stickpony@gmail.com
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 06:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

stickpony

1187 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Jim

1) the only person i know of that used nitrous was master tuner akimoto, and he is no longer a member on this group. perhaps someone else can chime in here? i remember on the pennock's group 1/4 mile track times thread, that someone used a 100 shot of nitrous to get into the low 13's on a stock 4.9L.
2)not sure..
3), i would think the extra timing would improve your HP numbers with the added nitrous and fuel changes that you make. it certainly isn't going to hurt it, the changes aren't radical enough for it to matter.
4) it might or might not, you almost certainly need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, then you will just have to experiment with it.
5)your tranny should NEVER be bumping the rev limiter, as it is designed to shift around 4800-4900 rpm with the 4t60e ( rev limiter is 5300 ), unless for some reason you have a very short non-cadillac final drive in your transmission that could affect this. i would think that you are having some kind of possible slipage from 1st to 2nd if it is the stock final drive in your tranny. if it turns out to be an internal issue with your transmission, then adding a shift kit during the rebuild or your tranny will DEFINATELY improve the shifting of the transmission. the shock load moves from your clutch packs to the harder parts of the transmission, hence the much firmer shifts. the shifts happen quicker and have a much sportier feel to them.

another possibility that may be affecting your 1-2 shift is if the tps is slightly out of range, but not enough to throw a code. The tps directly relates to when your shifts happen, and it is based on a percentage of throttle position (closed being 0%, and Wide open being 100%). If the tps isn't proper;y calibrated, it could be off slightly and causing a late shift. i would do a full TPS and ISC motor calibration on your car again if you haven't already done it. use the procedure outlined in the haynes or chilton manual that has you backprobe the tps voltage, as the factory service manual uses the stock driver control center to calibrate the tps and isc motors...

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 06:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
100 wet shot, especially off the line with some sticky's, might get you into the high 12's

Just remember its a drug and it can get addicting and get you in trouble if you are not careful.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

100 wet shot, especially off the line with some sticky's, might get you into the high 12's

Just remember its a drug and it can get addicting and get you in trouble if you are not careful.

this is way too true. i know so many people who blow their engines using NOS.. however, the bright side is that the 4.9L engiens are a dime a dozen in the junkyards... you can usually pick one up used in decent shape for like $400-$500
jimbunt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbunt1Send a Private Message to jimbunt1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the input guys.
So far my 4.9 swap has been very reliable and a blast to drive.
The forum has been an amazing resource that has enabled me to complete the V8 swap
and keep my GT on the road and running great.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Thanks for the input guys.
So far my 4.9 swap has been very reliable and a blast to drive.
The forum has been an amazing resource that has enabled me to complete the V8 swap
and keep my GT on the road and running great.

what is your current highway gas mileage Jim?

you definately shouldn't be running rich...
Arns85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arns85GTSend a Private Message to Arns85GTDirect Link to This Post
I'd stay away from those "stickies". With the torque of the 4.9 on nitrous, you might snap the spider gears or other small tranny parts. The car has so much natural traction back there that even if the tires spin, it is still propelling you forward. I remember HER86GT which did get into the 11's with their turbo'd 4.9 and she did not use stickies.

Arn
jimbunt1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-21-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimbunt1Send a Private Message to jimbunt1Direct Link to This Post
27 mpg (Imperial gallon) or 22.5 mpg (US gallon) on the highway.
Car works great and sparkplugs are not fouling.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-22-2010 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

27 mpg (Imperial gallon) or 22.5 mpg (US gallon) on the highway.
Car works great and sparkplugs are not fouling.

hmmm.. i get 27-30 mpg US gallon at 70 mph down here in FL, depending on the weather. something is up... do you have the power steering input connected to 12v? if not, the fuel trim will be disabled and your lean cruise mode will not work( this is where you REALLY save MPGs) also, what brand O2 sensors are you using? do you have a catalytic converter? there are many things that could contribute.. you are loosing fuel mileage with your setup right now for sure...

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just looking for an update to this thread? The reason I am asking is that I just struck a deal and picked up a set of M/T drag tires and a complete NOS Wet kit that I plan on using in my 4.9 Getrag 5spd car this summer.

I am a bit concerned with the 4.9 head gaskets but figure if they blow when I hit the bottle, they were probably already on their way out. My biggest concern is the motor / trans mounts. I am running a solid upper mount, Prothan mounts on the front and side of the engine coupled with (ick) modified rubber mounts on the trans. I have already had problems with the mounts mainly due to the clutch I am running, which almost requires me to launch hard in order to take off without chatter. The clutch is a 6 puck sprung hub race clutch rated for just over 550lbs of torque.

Oh I don't plan to run over a 100hp shot, probably bottle launching at 1800-2200rpms.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post04-20-2011 10:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Hey Capt.

If you think its going to be an issue grab yourself a better gasket now. Rockauto has the Victor Reins (pn# 5781G) for a good price right now. Its a really good gasket. I'm running the same one in my car. Actually the entire top end gasket kits are not bad on price (~$130).

There was also a solid graphite one available at one point. Can't remember the brand (maybe ROC?) and its not listed on Rockauto.com anymore. You may still be able to find one though.

He he. I've got the same clutch. It takes some time to get used to, doesn't it? During aggressive driving its freaking awesome. On light throttle though it takes extra finesse.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 04-20-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock