stock subwoofer wiring? by dmcgreene
Started on: 09-25-2010 10:10 AM
Replies: 16
Last post by: dmcgreene on 02-28-2011 05:50 PM
dmcgreene

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
hi the subwoofer in my fiero has never worked and the woofer is brand new.. but how sould it be wired to my sony headdunit? the guy that had the car before me just left it plugged in like stock... but what do i need to do to get it to work?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
idk but you have it back on the road?! ?
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
no not yet, it actually went to the shop on the rollback last night.. i told the mechanic that i thught it was the throwout bearing, but just install a clutch kit while he was in there and to check out the hydraulics since the piston shot out of the slave cylinder, it should be on the road by wednesday depending on how fast he works

[This message has been edited by dmcgreene (edited 09-25-2010).]

IFLYR22

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post
The stock amp uses all speaker leads as it's high level input.
This might help:

-Dave

adding this for more detail:

[This message has been edited by IFLYR22 (edited 09-25-2010).]

dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 12:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
sooo basically i should trace the wires from the subwoofer and figure how to wire it into the new headunit?
IFLYR22

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 10:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IFLYR22Send a Private Message to IFLYR22Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by dmcgreene:

sooo basically i should trace the wires from the subwoofer and figure how to wire it into the new headunit?

Not entirely.
The power is at Amp connector pins 3 & 13 (positive) and pin 14 (ground). Check with an VOM and see if it is. The Amp is in the center console near your left calf when sitting in the passenger seat.
If the New radio was installed without a harness adapter, the wires may have been cut and left out, which would require removal and inspection behind the New radio.

-Dave
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 02:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
the guy that did my radio before i got my car used an adaptor thing that he spliced into the stock harness leaving the stock plug on it, can anyone tell me what color wires that the subwoofer wires should be going to? cuz it seems that the woofer isnt spliced into the new plug for the head unit..??
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

the guy that did my radio before i got my car used an adaptor thing that he spliced into the stock harness leaving the stock plug on it, can anyone tell me what color wires that the subwoofer wires should be going to? cuz it seems that the woofer isnt spliced into the new plug for the head unit..??

If that is what he did, you have to make sure the power feed for the sub amp is fed by an ignition source - on the original radi the sub amp was power by the power antenna output, but new decks do not provide enough current to turn the amp on.

Looking at the above posted diagram you have 2 pink wires that power the amp, you MUST connect them to IGN power.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 09-26-2010).]

dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
so basically if i get power for the amp my subwoofer will work? where should i run the pink wires to?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

so basically if i get power for the amp my subwoofer will work? where should i run the pink wires to?

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
Looking at the above posted diagram you have 2 pink wires that power the amp, you MUST connect them to IGN power.

There is an IGN source it the above diagram...key on = power
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
sorry for all the stupid questions, i cant really look at my car and tell since its in the shop but will one pink wire be to the ign and one be grounded or both to the ign?
PFF
System Bot
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post

dmcgreene

843 posts
Member since Jun 2010
wait nvm. now i see that these are both positive, can i use the ign power source for the headunit for these wires?
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

wait nvm. now i see that these are both positive, can i use the ign power source for the headunit for these wires?

yes
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
okay then ill try this as soon as my engine is put back in my car and is driveable
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2010 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
thanks guys wired the two pink to the ign/accessory wire and the subwoofer worked 1st try
tkberg

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tkbergSend a Private Message to tkbergDirect Link to This Post
I'm currently hooking up a Sony head unit to a stock sub. If I'm not mistaken, you are saying that the ANT REM (.1A max) and the AMP REM (.3A max) of the head unit is not powerful enough to drive the stock sub amp.? That I need to hook up to the IGN/ACC wire to the two pink sub wires (pin 3 - mute, and pin 13 - battery)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
dmcgreene

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2011 05:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dmcgreeneSend a Private Message to dmcgreeneDirect Link to This Post
im not entirely sure, i knoiw that the previous owner hooked up my headunit, it worked the amp just wasnt getting powered, ended up un hooking it cuz it kept draining the battery

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock