Review: Rodney's Getrag Slave Cylinder Rebuild Kit by Nosferatu187
Started on: 09-01-2010 04:07 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: jaredmurray88 on 01-10-2012 07:54 PM
Nosferatu187

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post
Rodney Dickman was kind enough to send me his slave rebuild kit with the double seal piston for testing. It is for the Getrag/Muncie 5spd. and is an improvement over the single seal design. Here I'm rebuilding a cast iron slave but see no reason why the tube style slave would be any different.

First off, lets see what all you get:

Like everything I've ordered from Rodney, it's a very complete kit.

Here's a close up of the old single seal and new double seal pistons:

The original single seal slave pistons have a bad habit of allowing air to enter the hydraulic system, making it necessary to bleed air out of the system from time to time.

Most people probably know how to replace the slave piston but I'll walk you through it anyway. You could probably install this kit without totally removing the slave cylinder from the car but I chose to remove it in order to take these photos. If you do decide to remove the slave from the car, remove the hydraulic line first and then the 13mm mounting nuts.

Next step is to pry the old boot off:

Next, you'll see the snap ring that has to be removed:

Holding the piston down, remove the snap ring and there it is:

You should inspect the bore for any pitting, this is how it should look:

If there is minor pitting, you can probably hone them out.

Reassembly is easy, just lube the piston and bore with a little brake fluid, slide the spring and piston back into the bore and replace the snap ring:

Bolt it all back on the car, bleed out the air and you're done. In fact, that's the first difference I noticed, with Rodney's dual seal piston bleeding out the air was much easier. I was getting some movement at the slave by the second bleed, good pedal by the third bleed and no air on the fourth bleed. In the 15 years I've owned this Fiero, bleeding the air out of the system has never been this quick and easy.

My over all impressions of this kit are it's complete and of top quality. The car shifts smooth now, no more hard shifting on upshifts or downshifts. I've been waiting for this dual seal rebuild kit to become available and I'm glad I did. Thanks goes out to Rodney for another excellent product!

Mike

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 04:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Rodney if you ever need someone to write an article you could always send free stuff to me. Fellow cheese head remember. Go Pack Go. Buckey Badger. Brewers and all.

I even went so far as to remove the number between 3 and 5 from all the clocks in the house.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-01-2010).]

Nosferatu187

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2010 04:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Nosferatu187Send a Private Message to Nosferatu187Direct Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by Nosferatu187 (edited 09-01-2010).]

Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2010 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I now have these available on my web page:

http://rodneydickman.com/ca...h=61&products_id=288

These were made to rebuild my aluminum Getrag slave cylinders but they also seem to fit the GM slave and the aftermarket cast iron slaves.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 08:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
is that bleeder a speed bleeder?
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-03-2011 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
I received one from Rodney too and rebuilded my getrag slave , no problem since then .
I had to bleed that slave every week before .
Also have an Isuzu & muncie slave that i reworkd with the Toyota double lips seal , worked perfect but i wanted to go back for the getrag for the original look on my car .
Thanks again Rodney .
I also bought the clutch line in the meantime but didn't need it then . Still have it .

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 03-03-2011).]

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2012 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post
did you order the bleeder seperate or did it come with the kit? just opened my box and there wasnt a bleeder. other than that it looks like a really well put together kit will tell tomorrow how it worked

------------------
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

jaredmurray88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2012 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaredmurray88Send a Private Message to jaredmurray88Direct Link to This Post

jaredmurray88

1153 posts
Member since Mar 2011
put in the new slave piston assy went exactly as advertized best 20 bucks i ever spent and simple too

------------------
"Speed costs money. How fast do you wanna go?"

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock