Started on: 08-28-2010 04:45 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Australian on 08-06-2011 07:45 AM
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 04:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I've seen more than my fair share of problems with the rear calipers on the 84-87 Fieros locking up. It seems that the problem happens over and over again on the rears but less common on the fronts. Has anyone found a lasting rebuild solution? The rear calipers for Fieros are getting more expensive these days. I don't mind paying good money for something if it lasts but I've had poor luck with the rebuilds. They've probably got chimps rebuilding these. I am inclined to rebuild myself this time. Anyone had any luck doing this?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 08-28-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I rebuilt mine on my '86 about two years ago using parts that I had bought from GM (AC Delco) years ago. It was a cinch and I've had no troubles yet... a lot cheaper than remans too, though I'm not sure about the quality of rebuild kits today.

[This message has been edited by Bloozberry (edited 08-28-2010).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

I rebuilt mine on my '86 about two years ago using parts that I had bought from GM (AC Delco) years ago. It was a cinch and I've had no troubles yet... a lot cheaper than remans too, though I'm not sure about the quality of rebuild kits today.

Did you hone the piston bore and/or use a new piston? Was the old piston rusted?

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 07:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
The pistons had a very light corrosion on them, and the bores had "bathtub rings" in them probably from having sat in the same position for years. If there's pitting in the walls, then you can probably forget about trying to rebuild them. I took a chance and used some #0000 steel wool on the cylinder walls and used a buffing wheel with jeweler's rouge on the pistons. Worked like a charm to clean them up. But the true test came when the system was pressurized and I held the brake pedal firmly for three or four minutes and there was no seepage or creeping of the pedal. Maybe not everyone will be as lucky, but it's worth the effort if you can save the cost of a reman caliper.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2010 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Problem is the pistons...

Either rebuilder don't rebuild the piston
or they do rebuild and F'ed it up.

Two rebuild rears that I ran into here... Both pistons had multiple problems. (Picture from my 2 bad rebuild and 1 good one.)

A good rebuild/reman? A1-Cardone maybe?

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Freshj

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2010 07:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FreshjSend a Private Message to FreshjDirect Link to This Post

My cardone reman won't self adjust with the lever. I agree that the must have chimps rebuild them. I wish there was a better option. I'd like it to all work properly again.
Australian

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-06-2011 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AustralianClick Here to visit Australian's HomePageSend a Private Message to AustralianDirect Link to This Post
Seems my rears are locking up too i thought it might have been my cable but the more i think the more i really want some bigger all round brakes

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock