Axle Stabilizer Bearing & Seal by mrpontiac2004
Started on: 08-20-2010 11:55 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: RULOOKIN on 10-01-2011 07:03 PM
mrpontiac2004

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-20-2010 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrpontiac2004Send a Private Message to mrpontiac2004Direct Link to This Post
Just got the rear of my GT put together with a bunch of fun, hot rod stuff. I installed the axle bearing/seal set from the Fiero store and am very unhappy. These things leak like crazy! The decades old seals I removed didn't leak, but these have dumped almost a quart of oil on the floor in a few days.

Has anyone else run into this? What was your solution? I really don't want to keep yanking the axles out of this thing, should I just go back to stock seals?

Thanks gang!
Sean
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 01:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Did you use some kind of sealer when you installed the bearing/seals?

I used the same sealer as I used for the trans case halves:

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2010 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Many people have had the same results when installing these stabilizer bearings on a high mileage tranny (I threw my first set in the trash after 1000 miles due to leaking and they were installed with sealant). The seals are the issue, they just do not have much ability to flex and seal on a shaft that can move around as much as a high mileage differential allows (even with these bearings limiting the amount of movement).

I have kicked around the idea of machining the housing on these bearings to accept a better more compliant seal... but it is way down the list.

If you want to give them a try, your better off paying less for them (incase they do not work):

Originally posted by fieroguru:

Forgot to add the stabalizer bearing info:

Techpack #75125LRB (replacement seal is TC-1.375).
Price: $23.45 each + shipping from http://www.transmissionpart..._p/609-075125lrb.htm

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 08-21-2010).]

mrpontiac2004

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2010 06:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrpontiac2004Send a Private Message to mrpontiac2004Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the quick response! I didn't use form a gasket during the install. The directions failed to recommend that. Today I pulled them apart and used some form a gasket. I'll know tomorrow if all is well.

Thanks again,
Sean
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I recommend AGAINST using these. The sealing surface on which the bearing runs on the CV joint tulip is not hard enough to be a bearing race. Mine galled badly and I had to replace the CV joint tulip.
aaronkoch

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2010 01:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for aaronkochSend a Private Message to aaronkochDirect Link to This Post
Sweet, me being cheap actually worked in my favor for once.. $5 a piece FTW!
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Did you use some kind of sealer when you installed the bearing/seals?

I used a similar product by Permatex when I when I installed these YEARS AGO and had no problems.

But while I was under the car last week, I noticed my seals (old now) were leaking. I found replacement seals for them locally.
They are National/Timken PN 323138 or NAPA 13537 oil seal (1.375"x1.828"x0.250").

Yay! So far - so good. Leaks are fixed!

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-10-2010).]

RULOOKIN

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2011 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RULOOKINClick Here to visit RULOOKIN's HomePageSend a Private Message to RULOOKINDirect Link to This Post
anyone know how to get the bearing seals out of trani case i want to go back to stock seals

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock