LX5 "Shortstar" by Lone Ranger
Started on: 06-21-2010 02:16 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Raydar on 12-01-2011 06:21 AM
Lone Ranger

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 02:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lone RangerClick Here to visit Lone Ranger's HomePageSend a Private Message to Lone RangerDirect Link to This Post
I'm curious why no one seems interested in the LX5 "Shortstar" engine. Seems like a much more robust engine than the 60 degree dual overhead cam conversion. For one thing, it's got chain drive to the cams. All the mechanics I have talked to have said that the cam drive belts are the biggest problem with the LQ1 - that they are a bear to change and have to be changed regularly. So, are there problems associated with the Shortstar which I don't know about? Or is it just not considered as a swap for some other reason? Are there problems mating it to available transmissions? I'm not trying to start any arguments (too late, I know!) but it seems like a really nice engine and I'm a bit surprised at the lack of interest.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIERODirect Link to This Post
Most people do not opt for this swap because the power output is similar to the older 3.4 DOHC but it is a much harder swap.
Most people that opt for a swap this complicated go for the full Northstar. RickAddy8gt (user name is something like that) did the swap and really liked it, but has upgraded to an LS4 now.
IROCTAFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 03:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IROCTAFIEROSend a Private Message to IROCTAFIERODirect Link to This Post

IROCTAFIERO

791 posts
Member since May 2005
Also, it can't be used (easily) with the 4 speed manual trannies or the Isuzu (can be done, just lots of work-around)
17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
As mentioned above, no one makes a swap harness for it, and there really isn't a good solution for a computer to control it. You have to make your own mounts and everything else for the swap, which is why most people just go with a full N*. Its more power for the same amount of work.

------------------
* 97 Olds Cutlass DD
* 86 Mustang SVO Rear Ended, R.I.P (Sold)

* 86 Fiero GT, Soon to be Northstar

RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
Look for Rickady88GT's previous build. He did an awesome job, only outdone by his new build.

Bob
Custom2M4

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 114
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Custom2M4Send a Private Message to Custom2M4Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 17Car:

As mentioned above, no one makes a swap harness for it, and there really isn't a good solution for a computer to control it. You have to make your own mounts and everything else for the swap, which is why most people just go with a full N*. Its more power for the same amount of work.

It's more work for the shortstar I'd say due to their not being any real ECM's for it. The northstar has a few options out there, but the shortstar has only been run on its factory ECM.
CalibrationEditor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 10:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CalibrationEditorSend a Private Message to CalibrationEditorDirect Link to This Post
The 3.5L run on a 3.8L PCM and JET, TunerCat, and even HPT supports the 3.5L Calibration.

I can email anyone a calibration that wants one
GT86FASTBACK

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GT86FASTBACKSend a Private Message to GT86FASTBACKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CalibrationEditor:

The 3.5L run on a 3.8L PCM and JET, TunerCat, and even HPT supports the 3.5L Calibration.

Wow... That is some sexy piece of machinery...
17Car

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by CalibrationEditor:

Me likey
Lone Ranger

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 02:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lone RangerClick Here to visit Lone Ranger's HomePageSend a Private Message to Lone RangerDirect Link to This Post
Oh, yeah! Me, too! Could we have some more detalis? Please?

------------------
"It's a do-it-yourself universe."

Pete Matos

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Pete MatosSend a Private Message to Pete MatosDirect Link to This Post
Agreed.....That is one beautiful looking engine....hows the performance? Peace

PFF
System Bot
Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post
I saw one of these shortstars at Pink-N-Pull last month. It was cherry. Had I wanted it, I could've had the engine complete, with trans, computer, and wiring, all for under $500. that would make it a relatively cheap swap. I saw a few TwinDualCam 3.4s, but every one of them had had some critical parts pulled already, and I'm not sure I could've put together a runner from what was in the yard.
These should be more popular in the future.
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-11-2010 11:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post
WOW... I need more information on this swap. I love the supercharger. How did you get that to work on the 3.5L?
AJxtcman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AJxtcmanSend a Private Message to AJxtcmanDirect Link to This Post
The 3.5L and the 3.8L are very similar in setup. The engine is different than the 3.8L, but every thing else should interchange. Trans, PCM, sensors, ect.
msweldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for msweldonSend a Private Message to msweldonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AJxtcman:

The 3.5L and the 3.8L are very similar in setup. The engine is different than the 3.8L, but every thing else should interchange. Trans, PCM, sensors, ect.

Mounts?
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2011 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
DHP powertuner also supports the 3.5 as well.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2011 06:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Is the oil filter mount in the same place as it is on the Northstar? (i.e., on the front side of the block, in the way.)

What about head gaskets? Are they any more reliable than the V8s?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock