Started on: 05-16-2010 11:54 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: RotrexFiero on 09-04-2011 08:01 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Time to resurrect the RED Distributor caps. Most commonly used are Wells DR2012-G and Conrad DR-2012-G but are hard to find (being discontinued?)
The GM 4.3L V6 used in Syclone/Typhoon used a similar distributor. MSD has a cap/rotor that works (pictured below). MSD PN# 8430

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Onefiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 02:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OnefieroSend a Private Message to OnefieroDirect Link to This Post
I got a blue distributor cap and rotor from The Fiero Store. I think it will still look good but having red to match my spark wires would have been nice. Be sure to post a picture once you get it installed.
steve308

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
Car-Quest sells the Wells line of ignition after they fell out of favor with Standard Motors. They may be able to find a few red caps.
randye

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 216
Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post
I like red cap!
Brucepts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-16-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceptsClick Here to visit Brucepts's HomePageSend a Private Message to BruceptsDirect Link to This Post
I just installed a Taylor red cap and rotor on my V6 last weekend I purchased from Summit, along with a set of red Taylor 8.2mm wires.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 07:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by randye:

I like red cap!

MMMmmm... ketchup and mustard... just the right balance too. You don't want too much mustard...
Bloozberry

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 08:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
Hey randye, nice clean engine compartment! Where'd you get the chrome cap for the cruise control diaphram? I like it.
a_bartle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for a_bartleSend a Private Message to a_bartleDirect Link to This Post
Wow, your engine bay looks awesome! What are you using for an air filter assembly, custom made?
Scottzilla79

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I just ordered that MSD ignition partly because it was RED :P
Summit says it fits, but MSD does not. We'll see.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2010 02:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Funny, but I was just about to show off some more, then you went ahead and did this...

Where did you get this? I remember a thread or two about them being made. So, instead of using search, I spent the last half of an hour learning how to draw an arrow.

I get a lot of compliments on my engine bay, (I think that my friends are just being nice. ) but yours, yours is a whole new standard. A lot of us are meticulous about what is ours, and there are some VERY nice Fieros running around. I have watched your car materialize from the start, and have always respected the amount of work that you have put in yourself. I comment often about your car, but it is deserving of comment.

And yes, I run red also. MSD.
W Scott

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post
Two weeks ago I installed the MSD performance cap & rotor, MSD blaster ignition coil and a STI red ignition wire set in my '85 V6. Everything fit fine and it all looks nice too. I my old stuff was just a year old but really I liked the look of the red and new ignition components never hurt.

I did get one plesant sirprise - the car ran fine before but the hotter ignition seems to have "woke" it up some and it feels like it makes a bit more power. A couple of my friends have made the same comment too now.

Here are links to the Fiero Store and what I put in.

http://www.fierostore.com/P...d=251&nq=0&p=1&sz=50

http://www.fierostore.com/P...d=251&nq=0&p=1&sz=50

http://www.fierostore.com/P...px?s=51036&d=257&p=1

[This message has been edited by W Scott (edited 05-17-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bloozberry:

Hey randye, nice clean engine compartment! Where'd you get the chrome cap for the cruise control diaphram? I like it.

It's a part from Ecklers Corvette.
80's Corvettes use the same cruise control diaphragm and this thing just snaps over it.
http://www.ecklers.com/prod...d=37050&dept_id=1225
The above link is for a set, but if you search around the Ecklers website, there's just the cover for sale there somewhere.
I think I paid about $30 for mine at a local Corvette specialty shop.
randye

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 03:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for randyeClick Here to visit randye's HomePageSend a Private Message to randyeDirect Link to This Post

randye

13831 posts
Member since Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tony Kania:

Funny, but I was just about to show off some more, then you went ahead and did this...

Where did you get this? I remember a thread or two about them being made. So, instead of using search, I spent the last half of an hour learning how to draw an arrow.

I get a lot of compliments on my engine bay, (I think that my friends are just being nice. ) but yours, yours is a whole new standard. A lot of us are meticulous about what is ours, and there are some VERY nice Fieros running around. I have watched your car materialize from the start, and have always respected the amount of work that you have put in yourself. I comment often about your car, but it is deserving of comment.

And yes, I run red also. MSD.

That MAP sensor cover is one made by Loyde Rascoe, (here on PFF).
It's machined out of a solid block of aluminum.
I had to do a TON of polishing on it to get it to look like that.
Pretty cool part too. It just "snaps" over the MAP sensor and stays in place very well.
Thanks for all the compliments. I very much appreciate it.

I also replaced a few of the vacuum lines with braided stainless, (mainly the EGR lines), and polished the aluminum cooling air tubes, (you can just see the tip of one of them below the RED ignition coil)
The heat shield / air deflector to the left of the coil is also a mirror polished aluminum part that I made.
The air filter cover / water shield is also an aluminum part that I fabricated. along with an aluminum support bracket for the air filter.
I didn't put the new K&N filter inside the quarter panel, but it draws cold air from the custom side scoop while moving and then draws warmer engine bay air when sitting still at idle.
That was for a reason...it helps prevent throttle plate icing since I removed the throttle body coolant lines, which are really "heater lines" in the way they're used on the OEM set-up.
It's been working very well.
The CAI tube is just the Fiero Store part.

[This message has been edited by randye (edited 05-17-2010).]

Misery

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-17-2010 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MiserySend a Private Message to MiseryDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

I just ordered that MSD ignition partly because it was RED :P
Summit says it fits, but MSD does not. We'll see.

I hope it does too !! i just ordered mine from Summit without asking Nice huh ?
Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post05-17-2010 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post
I have the same red cap and it looks great with red wires. I bought mine from the FieroStore.
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Taylor Cable has Red distributor caps too now.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-948133/

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-04-2011).]

Kevin87FieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Kevin87FieroGTSend a Private Message to Kevin87FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I'm sticking with the red look.

MSD, Street Fire, #5526 Ignition Coil...........Looks like and fits like the original except the coil block is red and much better made than the AC. Cost about $32 at O'Rielly's.

MSD kit #8430, Cap and Rotor............Well made and as heavy duty as they come for the 2.8L.

Fiero Store STI Red ignition wire set..........Fits are very good.

The combination all works well on the stock 2.8. I did try the MSD Blaster coil for awhile, the performance with the MSD Street Fire feels to be the same or as good as the Blaster.

[This message has been edited by Kevin87FieroGT (edited 09-04-2011).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2011 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
All you need is a can of paint. I painted mine red. Even a sloppy rattle can paint job will look good. You can hardly see the distributor.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock