Started on: 04-14-2010 11:34 AM
Replies: 117
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 11-26-2011 11:35 AM
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
the 3500 LX9 took a dump on me, so im taking it out and setting it aside and the cradle for my brother to have when he gets himself another fiero.

im am going to snag up a L67 where ever i can find one that is a good deal for its specs. i dont know exactly what all i will need for this, but i think i might have an idea of some of the sources. i will be listing the parts and links to what i am needing, if there is anything that needs to be corrected or you know of a better source for cheaper, then by all mean post it up.

L67 will be had from car-part.com or some other junk yard out here. maybe pull a part if i can find a good one. just called pull a part and its 250 for a complete engine and 20 for the harness/computer. score, no?

the flywheel will be from a 2000 camaro 3800, turned down on the surface to a total thickness of .840"

the clutch... i can reuse my centerforce dual friction clutch right?

mounts... what all engine mounts do i need? and where or who from? can i use the RD solid adjustable dogbone i got and has barely been used... for one 20 mile trip?

the computer... does it need to be from anything specific or will the car it came from work. of course get it flashed to work with a getrag.

the harness... the one from the car it came from will work? just cut off or depin all the un-needed things?

coolant line routing, thats a sinch.

fueling... i have a 88 corvette fuelpump and freshly cleaned L67 injectors off the 3500.

i think that is it. im going to search for an engine this weekend. for only 250, shoot yea. and another cradle.

*EDIT* this page will also be my build page so im not starting many threads over the same subject.
------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i found this just now about centerforce in this thread Starting 3800 swap - Lets talk clutches

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

The fiero centerforce is a joke, it is not designed properly, it is an obvious cop out.

The spec is fairly proven (although failures are fairly proven as well)

Clutch net has some decent reviews, and is fairly cheap.

------------------
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 12:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

americasfuture2k

7131 posts
Member since Jan 2006
looks like www.fastfieros.com would be a good site to have bookmarked. and they are in dallas. not that far from me! what are some other sites to keep bookmarked? bubbajuju told me www.clubgp.com is going to be a new friend of mine.

------------------

RockRunner

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockRunnerSend a Private Message to RockRunnerDirect Link to This Post
www.gmtuners.com awesome site and FULL of info.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
Ah yes, I forgot darth has stuff on his site about the L67.

*EDIT* iphone likes to auto correct and makes interesting changes O_o

------------------

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 04-14-2010).]

darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Everything you need is in my signature.

Pretty much everything on loyde's fastfieros site is just a marketing ploy to make you buy crap, or convince you that him doing stuff wrong is actually right.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

darkhorizon

12279 posts
Member since Jan 2006
Everything you need is in my signature.

Pretty much everything on loyde's fastfieros site is just a marketing ploy to make you buy crap, or convince you that him doing stuff wrong is actually right.

------------------
11.6@120 3800 turbo 88 coupe

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Judging by recent reviews (read: complaints), I'd stay far away from Loyde/fastfieros... He has a nice site, but -from what I've read- that's about it.

Somebody around here can recommend somebody better, I'm sure.

---------
All of the above is not based on personal experience, but on multiple posts and complaints. Take it for what it is.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
you got a gold star for that thread.

------------------

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 04-14-2010).]

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
3800SC swap into the Fiero is pretty straight forward, look through the photos in the link below my sig and most of your questions wil be answered or if you want to message me I will answer any questions I can. Dan

------------------

http://www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631

87_special

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87_specialSend a Private Message to 87_specialDirect Link to This Post
Yeah that sucks about your 3500. Your bro posted on 60degreev6 about it. That "tuner" guy most of been some douche. Don't blame his stupidity on the 3500.

Doesnt FieroX sell swap mounts now?

-Joseph

------------------
1987 SE / Fastback - 3500T / 4T60e / OBD1 / broken
Projects: 5-speed swap / retune

PFF
System Bot
FastFieros

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

looks like www.fastfieros.com would be a good site to have bookmarked. and they are in dallas. not that far from me! what are some other sites to keep bookmarked? bubbajuju told me www.clubgp.com is going to be a new friend of mine.

You been on here since 2006 AmericasFuture2K ... you know the drill with me and you know the Blind leading the blind. DH and DFF fall under BLIND !

http://www.fastfieros.com
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post
The best advice I can give you is just use the Search function..The 3800 swap has been done some many times and documented a blind man with one arm can do it. There is not one question that I can think of that has not been asked 10 times over on here and that is in a 2 week period. Read everything you find using search then decide on how you wanna do the swap....
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2010 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
lol that last part lost me

thats why im doing a L67, its been completed so many times so any problem i run into will already have been covered. the LX9 i was on my own pretty much. and very select few on 60*v6 knew stuff about that engine.

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 04-15-2010).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 07:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FastFieros:

You been on here since 2006 AmericasFuture2K ... you know the drill with me and you know the Blind leading the blind. DH and DFF fall under BLIND !

He's posting again, must be hurting for cash! Plane tickets are expensive nowadays eh?
deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
I don't get it?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by deezil:

I don't get it?

There are others, but this one is pretty much the all inclusive "fast fieros" loyde failure synopsis.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/071221.html

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 04-15-2010).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
ahh.. now i get it. lol.

------------------

deezil

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deezilSend a Private Message to deezilDirect Link to This Post
Holy crap.....

That makes me even second guess sending money out to anyone here. I need mounts and a harness, I sure cannot want years for the parts...

"All it takes is one bad Apple" rings true..
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 12:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
Im gonna dish out some $$ for the mounts for sure. The harness I will do on my own. But what about the headers? Anything special to be done to those?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I have left stock manifolds on all of my swaps, and just hooked the exhaust to them.. It makes it very hard to maintain a full exhaust and a full trunk due to the output of the exhaust being right into the trunk area.

You can sorta put a stub exhaust in but they are typically quite loud due to the size (3inch round), short length, and large flow requirements.
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-15-2010 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
have any pics?
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 03:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

have any pics?

I saw some under the SEARCH function.....sure they are still there.....
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
lol, duh. shoulda known that :P

can a L67 top end be used on a L36 bottom end SAFELY? everything i just read through talks about hopping a motor up. im just wondering if and how long it can run safely being all stock.

Originally posted by icemanmike:

I have a '97 Grand Prix GT that has the L36 motor and considered swapping a L67 in it a few years ago. The folks in the Michigan GP club stated that(along with ZZP) the L36 has MORE compression than the L67 and a nice up grade was to put the top end of the L67 on the L36 and you are instantly in the premium fuel zone!! And more power too along with the better gear ratio in the L36 trans compared to the L 67 trans....PFYC had a great bolt on turbo kit for the L36 that I'm sure destroyed the stock trans upon fully laying into the gas after installation as it really upped the power level to like 300+ horse in an afternoon....Wicked cool....I say L36 and the turbo and have some fun with it...Considering the Fiero weighs considerably less than the GP, the trans should last a bit longer.....My 2¢......Mike

------------------

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 04-16-2010).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-16-2010 06:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
High compression bottom ends on M90 builds is pretty much the best thing out there.

the M90 is sorta a junk little blower, and the compression helps move the efficiency map closer to the center (more efficient side) and when you have little to no intercooling available, it helps quite a bit.
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
What's the reliability of the motor going that path?

------------------

skuzzbomer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 01:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

What's the reliability of the motor going that path?

It can't be any worse than running 25lbs of boost on a stock bottom end, can it? DH has done that a few times, right?
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 03:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
I googled L36 bottom L67 top end and it's been done a hella lot. But I haven't seen anything for reliability. This of course was a quick search on my phone at the bar when I was in the shitter.

------------------

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 09:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

I googled L36 bottom L67 top end and it's been done a hella lot. But I haven't seen anything for reliability. This of course was a quick search on my phone at the bar when I was in the shitter.

Its just as reliable. Literally everyone in my group of my 3800 buddies here in town are running the L36/L26 bottom end. My buddy shawn posts on here every now and then, but he is doing some pretty intense stuff with a 230k+ mile L36, with 30k+ running an xpz cam and a 2.8 pulley.

http://www.clubgp.com/newfo...&p=1&tmode=1&smode=1
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2010 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
hmm... very interesting. i think by going this route, i will have more fun. fun meaning a bit more power and from the higher compression, better mpg. im surprised i havent seen this mentioned more on here for 3800 swaps.

so for doing the exhaust now, what needs to be done so i dont need to cut my trunk up. also, im on a budget. :\

------------------

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 09:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i was just wondering this, can the L67 ECM run off of a wideband O2 sensor? or any provisions of doing such thing?

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 09:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Exhaust depends alot on you local laws. If you need to retain your cat it is an expensive process, you will need custom manifolds to dump on the front side of the motor to give you room for a cat. If you dont need a cat you just need some tight bends off the stock manifold to retain the trunk.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

hmm... very interesting. i think by going this route, i will have more fun. fun meaning a bit more power and from the higher compression, better mpg. im surprised i havent seen this mentioned more on here for 3800 swaps.

SOMEONE on this forum, who has never boosted a L36, parades around saying it will never work.... Even though it has been proven more than 3800 swaps into fieros have been...

i was just wondering this, can the L67 ECM run off of a wideband O2 sensor? or any provisions of doing such thing?

You can... it works... I dont run a narrowband or a simulated wideband/narrowband very often any more myself.

[This message has been edited by darkhorizon (edited 04-23-2010).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 10:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

Exhaust depends alot on you local laws. If you need to retain your cat it is an expensive process, you will need custom manifolds to dump on the front side of the motor to give you room for a cat. If you dont need a cat you just need some tight bends off the stock manifold to retain the trunk.

oklahoma has no inspection stickers anymore niether does florida unless it changed in the last 2 years. i was thinking of making it to where a small removeable section of pipe could be in place of the cat if need be. thanks for that picture, it helps a lot.

SOMEONE on this forum, who has never boosted a L36, parades around saying it will never work.... Even though it has been proven more than 3800 swaps into fieros have been...

yea i think they said it a lil further up. a google search shows people have been doing it since the dawn of time. someone should venture out in the good ol interwebs...

You can... it works... I dont run a narrowband or a simulated wideband/narrowband very often any more myself.

hmm... what would need to be done to make it work with a wideband? or would i need to search clubgp?

------------------

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 04-23-2010).]

starlightcoupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for starlightcoupeSend a Private Message to starlightcoupeDirect Link to This Post
That exhaust system is in my car--Mike does outstanding work. I highly recommend him for anything having to do with 3800SC conversion. My little "clown car" as my wife calls it, whomped up on a ricer a couple days ago who tried to cut me off when the road narrowed. Thanks, Mike! Update: a wimp in a Volvo SUV attempted the same thing to his embarrassment. Yes, we 72 year olds can be kids sometimes.

[This message has been edited by starlightcoupe (edited 04-23-2010).]

JumpStart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 11:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JumpStartSend a Private Message to JumpStartDirect Link to This Post
First of all, it might help a little if people knew what year the engine was but there are all pretty much the same.

As far as using a S/C top end on a N/A bottom end, yes it can be done but remember that the people that engineered these 2 engines used different parts for some reason. I personally believe that it would be reliable and can last a long while BUT it wouldnt last as long as it would using a complete S/C engine top and bottom plus it would be cheaper to just get the whole S/C engine and be done with it. They can last up to 300,000 mi if taken care of.

I believe that I had read that if the L67 is stock, you can use the ECM from a 98-00 Pontiac GTP and it will work with the stock programing. Im sure that you would want it tuned and some things deleted so it doesnt throw out errors but it would work fine until then.

You might need an oil filter adapter if the one on the engine sits at an angle or straight down to clear the cradle. GM part# 12569217 works well.

Coolant hoses that work ... autozone DS part# XL-183 and PS XL-295 . One of these ends is said to be a bit big but has been ran without issues using 2 hose clamps to be sure.

Also on the mounts, you might think about trying to get engine mounts that keep the engine lower which helps with the alternator issues clearing the decklid if it is kept in the stock location. The 99 and up alts are smaller.

The exhaust pictured above would be the easiest to do but MAKE SURE that when you get the engine that you also get the top 6" of the exhaust below the manifold to have the matching flange to weld onto your exhaust you are making for the car.

Just a few opinions . Hope this helps and best of luck.

Steve
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2010 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
thanks steve!

my decklid is already notched from the 3500 LX9 generator thats currently in the car.

------------------

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
welp, i got some work done and started

got my engine/cradle/trany assembly out.

got a 2" drop 1-1/4" hitch receiver to for the tow hitch made for bike racks

testing the strength of my 1ton harbor fright hoist

all cleaned up and set to the side

that hitch is the best thing ever for this car. rest the car on stands on it and you dont hafta worry about not having wheels!

now i cna see what all needs to be replaced or upgraded. all the engine/tranny mounts, firewall heatshield, clean up the hoses and wiring, remove the cooling pipes for the ICM and alternator. new cv boot since one ripped :\ drain the tranny and replace it with royal purple

------------------

------------------

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
just ordered an L32 from morad. has 72k on the clock.

whats the best way to get ahold of cliff so he can change the name of this thread to L32 instead of L67?
------------------

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 07-30-2010).]

Gandalf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-31-2010 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GandalfSend a Private Message to GandalfDirect Link to This Post
via PM!
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock