Started on: 03-02-2010 01:38 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: Justinbart on 05-05-2011 08:22 PM
Justinbart

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Well I just got done installing a new fuel pump in my fiero after having two casualties so far possibly from use of E85. Its late and only put 2 miles on it before calling it a night. I took some pictures along the way. The fuel pump came from a 2007 Ford F150 with the FFV option. I got it on ebay under 6,000 miles for $90 shipped. The dealer wants $514. I searched a couple of salvages yards around here but they wanted $125-$200 for the used pumps.

Notice how the connections to the pump are sealed from the fuel.

Side by side with the Fiero sending unit with a TRE/Walbro pump.

This sock is only 5 months old with about 1,000 miles of use. I don't know how it got so dirty.

You can see how clean the inside of the fuel tank is with no rusting or corrosion.

Then sitting in the bottom where the fuel pump pick up is, non metallic trash. It dose not attach to a magnet and it feels like leaves. Could this be fuel filter material? If not, where did it come from, gas station possibly?

I cut the end off the fuel filter canister. I expected it to be mush but it seemed to all be there. I went to autozone and picked up a FFV fuel filter from a 2003 Tahoe. p/n 4001. I forgot to take a picture of that. The inlet is the same as the fiero but the outlet is a quick-connect. I cut the fiero line and used fuel injection hose to connect it back up.

Comparison from the walbro/TRE style and the Ford FFV pump.

Part numbers on the pump and a phrase that insures it will last.

The Ford pump in the Fiero sending unit. It was a TIGHT squeeze to get it back in the tank.

I taped a fuel pressure gauge to the back window to see if there was any pressure drop but couldn't see it at night. The pump is almost DEAD SILENT. I was seeing very rich WOT wideband readings from the quick drive I did. 11.3 creeping to 10.9 at the top of 3rd. This is with almost maxed out 60lb injectors. So far so good!

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec3
11.74@123

[This message has been edited by Justinbart (edited 03-02-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1986 Fiero GT

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1986 Fiero GTSend a Private Message to 1986 Fiero GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

I was seeing very rich WOT wideband readings from the quick drive I did. 11.3 creeping to 10.9 at the top of 3rd.

Isn't that lean? I thought stoich was around 9.765:1 for E85?
Pj84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 02:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Pj84Send a Private Message to Pj84Direct Link to This Post
It's varnish left from the old gas. If you use e85 change your filter at 500 miles
when you start using e85. I run e85 in all my vehicles mix 50 50 helps it start on cold day.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-02-2010 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 1986 Fiero GT:

Isn't that lean? I thought stoich was around 9.765:1 for E85?

Well the wideband reads in gas lambda, "Lambda (λ) is the ratio of actual air fuel ratio to stoichiometric air fuel ratio; it provides an intuitive way to express leanness conditions (i.e., less fuel, less rich) mixtures of fuel and air."

E85 max power lean is around 12.7(.8673) and E85 max power Rich is around 10.8 (.7143) 1 = stoich 14.7:1 for gas and 9.761:1 for E85
There is a chart on wiki but I don't know how to get it in here.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec3
11.74@123

Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post03-04-2010 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Did your Fiero sending unit have that much rust on it before you started using E85?

-ryan
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 10:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
Bump for answer to my question from the OP...

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 03-06-2010).]

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-06-2010 11:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
um idk, its always looked like that??? It just rubs off with my fingers... I'm not really concerned about it. Before I got the car it did sit for about 6 years, the gas was pretty nasty in it.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-08-2010 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

um idk, its always looked like that??? It just rubs off with my fingers... I'm not really concerned about it. Before I got the car it did sit for about 6 years, the gas was pretty nasty in it.

Hey, thanks for the response. The reason why I asked was because of this... A few years ago when E85 first came to my area, I figured I would like to try it. Before I did, I did some research and learned that ethanol wasn't supposed to be compatible with many of the materials used in our stock Fiero fuel systems. However, I found just as many websites that said there would be no problems. So I guess you could say the online research was inconclusive.

So I decided I would give it a shot. But before I did, I pulled my tank and took the sending unit out and inspected everything. My tank and sending unit were like brand new inside. No rust, no buildup, varnish, corrosion; nothing. So I put everything together and started using E85. After about a summer's worth of E85 use, I pulled the tank again to have a look inside. I did not find anything inside the tank at all (certainly not the debris laying in the bottom of the tank like the OP found in his) and the inside metal surface of the tank that I could see looked just as clean as it did before. But my sending unit looked like it was starting to turn black. It had that look like something that you would see inside of an exhaust pipe -- like there was carbon on it. It wasn't a heavy build-up, like a carboned up exhaust pipe, but rather just a light haze of deep black looking covering on the entire exposed metal surface of the sending unit. I did a little digging and determined this was probably some form of corrosion caused by the ethanol eating at the uncoated mild steel metal the sending unit was made of. Also, the fuel pump I was using was a Walbro 304 unit which looked like corrosion was starting to eat away of its outer casing. Concerned with this, I contacted Walbro and they informed me that their pumps were NOT designed to be used with ethanol (E85) fuels and it probably wouldn't last long if I continued using it with E85 fuel. I also called the aftermarket company who manufactured the 42lb injectors I was using at the time and they gave me a similar answer as Walbro.

In my searching for answers, I ran across these test results found by the Aussie's using only E20 fuel: http://www.environment.gov....0-hours-vehicles.pdf

Since that summer, I have not used E85 fuel due to what it did to my own sending unit and also taking into account the advice I got from Walbro and the injector manufacturer. I don't know if what happened to my sending unit was the result of some additive that was in the E85 fuel or the ethanol itself, but I didn't want to risk trashing my entire fuel system just so I could save a few dollars and run E85 fuel.

Today if you search the net, you will find an overwhelming number of websites that claim E85 can be used in any vehicle with EFI manufactured from the early 80's and on. But most of these websites seem to be bias in favor of E85 so I must question their claims. I find it hard to believe that if standard EFI fuel system components (such as those found in our cars – mild steel, rubber, aluminum, etc) are indeed not harmed by E85 fuel, that GM and other automakers would go to the trouble and expense of making sure everything used in the fuel system of modern E85-compatible cars is made of stainless steel and special plastics.

My advice to you guys running E85 in your Fieros is to keep an eye on ALL of your fuel system components for corrosion and break-down. While not every material in our stock Fiero fuel system seems to be vulnerable to ethanol, I have found and seen some are and all of that debris has to end up somewhere -- either clogging up your fuel filter; or your injector screens, or your fuel pump. In any case, you might want to keep an eye on how the system is functioning at all times; especially if you have a boosted engine. It would not be a good day for your engine if it went lean under boost because something in the fuel system failed or got clogged up from some debris broken loose or generated by the use of E85.

-ryan
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
This fuel pump took a dump on me over the weekend. Thinking about trying a Deatschwerks DW300. It claims to be 100% E85 compatible, 3 year warranty. Some real world testing has shown 600whp+ on E85 @33psi boost.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

timgray

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 59
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for timgrayClick Here to visit timgray's HomePageSend a Private Message to timgrayDirect Link to This Post
Have you done enough to get any gas mileage numbers? My Chrysler town and country is a flex fuel van so I can run gas or E85 and I get a 24% drop in gas mileage when I run E85 compared to E10 gasoline. Problem is E85 here is only 20% cheaper than regular so I am actually spending more when I run on E85.

I am very interested in seeing what you end up with.
Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Fuel mileage is the not a main concern with this setup. I run it to make more power, eliminate knock and it also spools the turbo faster. I could only run about 14psi on 93 octane with some blips of knock. (A cam would probably help me go further on 93) For me, E85 is just a substitution for race gas.

Around here E85 hovers around 20-25% cheaper than unleaded regular. With a FFV using E85 you will break even at BEST. I would only run a tank of E85 once every few months to clean things out.

I get 12-15 mpg making boost regularly while I drive and I've seen 20mpg with easy highway driving. I cruise at 17:1 AFR(gas scale)

------------------
11.53@126.7

PFF
System Bot
Fosgatecavy98

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fosgatecavy98Send a Private Message to Fosgatecavy98Direct Link to This Post
Hmmm my TRE fuel pump is about 5 years old with about 2 seasons of E85 ran through it without a hiccup in the fuel system at all.
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2011 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
The key point that we have been missing with these ford pumps is the fact that they are "designed to be PWM" powered, and not straight voltage.

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-05-2011 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
Update

Pulled the sender and took some pictures. I didn't notice any corrosion or anything that appeared to be different. The bottom of the tank was very clean.

Took some pictures comparing the three pumps I had. Left to right: TRE255, Deatschwerks DW300, Ford FFV 150 pump

Some pictures of just the DW300. I really liked the looks of the pick up filter.

So, I was putting it back in the gas tank, looked inside and it was empty...
I fail pretty hard on this one. It looks like I just ran out of gas. I put my head under the car while someone was cycling the key and I couldn't hear a thing. I thought it had died. I rolled with the new one anyways. I put a fuel pressure gauge on and its holding 70psi at wide open with nearly maxed out 60# injectors. Its a little louder than the F150 pump but still way quieter than a Walbro.

------------------
11.53@126.7

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock