fiero getrag 282 to a cavalier 2000 f23 by claude dalpe
Started on: 02-27-2010 03:31 PM
Replies: 34
Last post by: Navras on 02-14-2011 06:34 PM
claude dalpe

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 03:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeDirect Link to This Post
I would like to know if I can use the fiero axles on that swap
I know for the shifter problem and the hydrolique system
Does anybody does this swap ?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
A few have done it.

Clutch and clutch hydrolics stay fairly the same, you just adapt the HTOB to the stock fiero master.

Linkages are tough, and I dont think there is a "tried and true" way of doing them. I would imagine it is not too hard to set them up with a few brackets.
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Darkhorizon

Anybody know something about the axles
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
I think I'm going to be swapping the Isuzu for a F23.
FieroFiend

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
I cant guarantee it for sure but Im fairly certain most of the Ecotec guys using the f23 5 speed swapped it in using stock fiero Getrag axles so it should work.
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 07:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
What do you plan to use for transmission mounts, have any pics??

Depending on where you mount it, any stock fiero manual axles WILL work.
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks fierofiend

Jncomytt it's just to replace my 282 getrag on my v6 stock location

does the axles fit like in stock location ? that's what I want to know

Thanks
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2010 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
you need to make mounts, but yes, the axles are direct fit.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 12:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
whats the difference between the getrag 282 with the cavalier trans?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 03:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Everything.
joshh44

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
useful infomation lol :P
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 04:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by joshh44:

useful infomation lol :P

And accurate... everything is different. Clutch remains the same, thats about it.
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 10:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

you need to make mounts, but yes, the axles are direct fit.

Thanks Jncomutt

Joshh44

Same Bolts Patern , housing look like a 282 ( that's why I asking for the axles)
you have to make mounts and play with clutch hydrolics, linkages look tough to do,
maybe you have to play with the speed sensor?
For me I have no others choices cant find a 282,isuzu or a beretta in good shape here
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
There is still the odd FWD getrag in some Ontario wreckers if you don't mind the drive. They vary in cost from $200 to $400 depending on the year. One near me has a 94 Beretta Getrag still in the car if you want I can check into it further to save you the trouble of converting to the Cavalier tranny. Dan
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-28-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeDirect Link to This Post
Fieroflyer Thanks to offer your services

I bought 2 getrags before , the first one I saw the diff bearings are loose
return to the wrecker for refund

The second one look very good outside, after the set up I find the syncro are bad
all that job for nothing

I dont want to play with that **** anymore

One of my friend has a cavalier 2000 He is doing a motor swap (ecotec) and the
2.2 and the F23 are on the shelf (for me ???????? )
claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have any pics complete swap or the F23 on car pics .

Thanks everyone for your help
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
No, sorry.
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
the linkage can probably be solved the same way roger thelins ecotec linkage works you could give him a call if you can find his site im sure if you search for his name it will come up.

The biggest advantage to the f23 is its much better shift quality and hydraulic throw out. Strength wise its not rated more then the 282 but In my own experience it is a stronger transmission. Ive seen it handle multiple 300 + whp cavaliers/sunfires without issue but Id be lying if I said I hadnt seen any explode either. Good news is there are common as hell because of the 2003-2005 sunfire an cavalier all using them along with some others although the ecotec bellhousing is different the guts are pretty much the same and I doubt youd break your bell housing.

EDIT: after having finished my swap and seeing this post resurface I should say that thelins kit would not work on the 2200 f23 without modification which defeats the purpose of buying it, the mods needed are VERY simple.

[This message has been edited by FieroFiend (edited 02-14-2011).]

claude dalpe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-01-2010 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for claude dalpeSend a Private Message to claude dalpeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Fierofriend

I find Roger at www.centrafloridafieros.com

Nice brakets for the shifter
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Bringing this back from the dead,

When you mentioned the f23 clutch wise stays the same are you saying that the depth of the f23 and the 282 are the same? as in a 3800 flywheel/fiero clutch set up for a 282 would fit inside the f23 without issue? I can get f23's all day long for 125 bucks at a wrecker near here and considering how much nicer they are Id like to swap up to it for my 3rd gear grinding 3800 282
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
No, it won't fit directly, or if it does, it will be VERY close... You will have to very slightly clearance inside the bell. It is a very small issue and just a minor grind to one of the ribs. Sorry, no pics...

Edit for more detail.... Another option might be to take the flywheel down a hair more. Also, it depends on which clutch diameter you're using. The stock fiero pressure plate will rub very slightly, or might just barely clear. The larger S10 style, or WCF style, pressure plates I'm betting will hit for sure. The smaller diameter pressure plates DO clear.

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 04-26-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
currently I have the duralast generic autozone fiero getrag replacement pressure plate I have no idea how this compairs to the stock fiero pressure plate since I dont have one to look at as my car was orginally an automatic. A small clearance inside the bell housing of the f23 doesnt sound like that big a deal is it fairly obvious where the spot is or should I hunt around for a picture?

thanks for the help Jnco
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 01:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I have a picture of the inside of the bell somewhere, but no pics of the actual griding. I can circle the area and show you where it hits the pressure plate though. Let me dig around...
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Jncomutt

8899 posts
Member since Apr 2001
Looking at this picture, I've highlighted what will rub with the standard size fiero pressure plate.

and I found this picture on ebay to show where it will rub...

This smaller pressure plate will NOT rub and requires no grinding..
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 05:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
much appreciated jncomutt, whats the application of that smaller pressure plate?
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
That is Spec's SuperClamp pressure plate. Due to the increased spring force, they make it smaller to reduce the flexing of the cover. I don't know what else uses the smaller cover as a factory application, the cavalier I'm guessing, since it has to clear its own bellhousing.

The 9 1/8" unit is the smaller one that cleared. The factory 9 1/4 required very slight grinding and the S10 / WCF 9 11/16 would for sure rub I'm guessing, but have never tried it.

I don't know if its just my 3800 flywheel, or this is how every one would be,etc. These are just my experiences, hope it helps somewhat.
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 08:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Maybe I should check into the 2200 pressure plate, I know the Ecotec f23 pressure plates are much smaller looking since I have a few laying around including the spec stage 2+ but the Ecotec pressure plate cant be bolted to the 3800 flywheel without machining new holes. Perhaps the 2200 is the same as the 3800 bolt pattern wise ill see what I can come up with and post back since this seems to be the most useful thread so far on f23's that I can find via search, hopefully it can help anyone else interested in these transmissions.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 09:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
because I've never told anyone before..
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
Are you actually running the f23 now jnco or are have you only experimented with it? It seems pretty stout honestly I ran 210 whp 240 wtq through one for over 60k miles and its still going back in NA form in my sunfire my brother roasted one in his cav at 340whp/300wtq the diff gave out, the fiero getrags sound like they fail more often but being RWD (mad traction) its probably the main reason for that more then anything.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
PM Sent..
Jeremy@SPEC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2010 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jeremy@SPECClick Here to visit Jeremy@SPEC's HomePageSend a Private Message to Jeremy@SPECDirect Link to This Post
I thought some answers, relative to your questions regarding the differences in these plates, may be helpful. To begin, some covers are not able to accept the Super-Clamp option. In this instance there is no change relative to weight or flex, but rather this is done because the SCS88 cover can better house the Super-Clamp option. If you wanted to place an order for this plate and disc you could by using the above prefix. If you have any questions you can contact me at any time. Thanks

------------------
J. Auvil
Jeremy@specclutch.com
800-828-4379 x.109

PFF
System Bot
Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasDirect Link to This Post
Bump, bump, bump !

Anybody doing the F23 right now ? Black ice has blessed me with a low mileage F23 from my now damaged 2001 Cavalier. Being the not-a-mechanic that I am, I'm hesitant to dive into a swap when there's very little documentation for it. I know Jncomutt and L67 have swapped and run them, but I'd rather not fill up these guys' inbox with otherwise general automotive common sense questioning.

Plus, I've yet to sell my low mileage GTP in order to fund another engine, as well as the engine cradle to start the swap on.
FieroFiend

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroFiendSend a Private Message to FieroFiendDirect Link to This Post
As far as I'm aware L67 has not done an f23 swap I havnt been on much lately but I'm pretty sure me and jnco have the only 2 finished on the forum still.
pdemondo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pdemondoSend a Private Message to pdemondoDirect Link to This Post
Just trying to verify what you have said in this thread: The f23 is used with the 2200 OHV engine, which has the Fiero bellhousing, therefore,
the f23 can be used for Fiero engine swaps in place of the Getrag or Isuzu?
So to get it to fit, you could use the Roger Thelin transmission-portion of the kit and then use a Fiero clutch, flywheel, etc??

Oh, what are the necessary mods to Roger's f23 kit?

[This message has been edited by pdemondo (edited 02-14-2011).]

Navras

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-14-2011 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NavrasSend a Private Message to NavrasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroFiend:

As far as I'm aware L67 has not done an f23 swap I havnt been on much lately but I'm pretty sure me and jnco have the only 2 finished on the forum still.

Hm. Maybe he hasn't. I know he's at least versed in the swap, as he's enlightened me on a few details.
In any case, I'm sorry I didn't mention you !

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock