Paint Codes? by FieroGTFan
Started on: 01-18-2010 04:48 PM
Replies: 19
Last post by: Tony Kania on 06-21-2011 03:20 PM
FieroGTFan

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 04:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTFanSend a Private Message to FieroGTFanDirect Link to This Post
I have an 87' Fiero GT that is red with the two-tone silver on the lower parts of the body. I want to get the car painted in the stock colors, so I was wondering what the paint codes are for these two colors. I appreciate the help from you guys.

Thanks,
Jeff
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
Medium red metallic paint code 77
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
There are a couple of silvers used on the bottom. Open the front hood and theres a white decal about 3X5 inch label on the drivers side fenderwell. The last line should be 'basecoat/clearcoat WAxxxx ' those last 4 numbers are your paint code. If they put the trim color on the label, it will be the second set of numbers begining with WA. Some cars INSTEAD of the WA number will have 2 numbers followed by a 'U' for upper color and/ or ' L' for the lower color....ie/ 77U...12L. If yours dont have a second set of numbers (many dont) the paint store will have a chip book for you to pick the original from. If I remember Fieros have 2 or 3 different ones.

------------------

Owner / Operator Custom Paint and Body...
specializing in Corvette & Higher End Autos for 40+ years
Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche Body Repair Approved

toys: '66 custom Dodge 'Super Bee'
'92 rare Firebird T/A conv of 1325..FOR SALE

[This message has been edited by rogergarrison (edited 01-19-2010).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 07:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroGTFan:

I have an 87' Fiero GT that is red with the two-tone silver on the lower parts of the body. I want to get the car painted in the stock colors, so I was wondering what the paint codes are for these two colors. I appreciate the help from you guys.

Thanks,
Jeff

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-18-2010 09:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
There is errors on that list .
Prior to 88 the bright red is WA 8553
And 88 is WA 8774
wolfwolf

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 09:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wolfwolfSend a Private Message to wolfwolfDirect Link to This Post
Robert 2 is right. My three 86 red fieros have WA8553 on the Stickers as the paint code. Your chart shows this red for 84 and 85 only.
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 03:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Robert 2:
Prior to 88 the bright red is WA 8553

I've the same color code, WA-8553U, for my original-owner, `86 GT.

Nonetheless, the factory color for the red that FieroGTFan asked about in regard to his `87 GT is not a solid red like mine, but the metallic red which OldLar mentioned in his post above. The`87 GTs didn't come in solid red.
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Depends on the Date of Manufacture. An early year production car made say in August could very well be painted a previous year color. The factories will use their remaining supply of paint or anything else until its gone, even if it runs into the next model year. My 88 Corvette had an 89 only color interior. My 72 Mercedes had a 73 model year braking system from the factory. In both cases they stumped shops trying to figure out why stuff they ordered was wrong. So Ive also seen where they run out of the current year product and start using the next model year product on the current ones running down the assembly line.
FieroGTFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 07:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTFanSend a Private Message to FieroGTFanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up looking at the paint code and it says WA-9077 followed by U77U and 88D. Is this "88D" relevant to the paint code at all or is it just thrown in the end? I appreciate the help so far.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-19-2010 11:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
css9450

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 07:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 82-T/A [At Work]:

Interesting how prevalent the Medium Red was in 1987.... And no "regular" red that year!

PFF
System Bot
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 12:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
GMs used the U (upper main color) and L (lower/ trim 2 tone color) in the paint codes for 60+ years. Ive never seen a GM with a D code on the color.

------------------

Owner / Operator Custom Paint and Body...
specializing in Corvette & Higher End Autos for 40+ years
Ferrari, Mercedes and Porsche Body Repair Approved

toys: '66 custom Dodge 'Super Bee'
'92 rare Firebird T/A conv of 1325..FOR SALE

project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Thanks for all your help guys. I ended up looking at the paint code and it says WA-9077 followed by U77U and 88D. Is this "88D" relevant to the paint code at all or is it just thrown in the end? I appreciate the help so far.

The "WA-9077" paint code you've mentioned tells me your `87 GT originally was painted the metallic red we'd discussed earlier.

The "U77U" code you've mentioned puzzles me a little bit because I don't think I've seen GM use a "U" both following and preceding the primary color code for ordering the car, which in your case is the "77" code OldLar first mentioned earlier. As rogergarrison pointed out, the "U" simply means the "upper" (or primary) body color was "77." Again, however, I've not seen it typed by GM to both follow and precede a color code.

And finally, in the literature I have, I don't see any reference to the "88D" you've mentioned for your `87, either as a color code or as an option. Maybe somebody else can help you identify what that number is.

By the way, because on those stickers a "6" sometimes can look like an "8" at first glance, are you sure the code wasn't "66D" instead of "88D"? That could make for an interesting story because "66D" was the color code for Medium Beechwood cloth, an interior color said to be offered only in '88, not in `87.
johnyrottin

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 04:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for johnyrottinSend a Private Message to johnyrottinDirect Link to This Post
Which would be the Indy white? Silver?
FieroGTFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTFanSend a Private Message to FieroGTFanDirect Link to This Post
Hey, sorry to be racking your brains guys, before I looked the other night I just lightly brushed off the sticker. Today I used a light cleaner and found that somehow I had mistaken 88D for 82D. The actual last three digits are 82D. This still does not make sense to me but maybe you guys can do something with it, and I thought it was very odd how the one code is "U77U". I didn't realize the letters would come after and before the number. Thanks agian for the help.

-Jeff
project34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-20-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for project34Send a Private Message to project34Direct Link to This Post

Hey, sorry to be racking your brains guys, before I looked the other night I just lightly brushed off the sticker. Today I used a light cleaner and found that somehow I had mistaken 88D for 82D. The actual last three digits are 82D.

No problem.

You've an `87 Fiero GT originally painted metallic red (paint code WA-9077), and originally equipped with code "82D" Gray cloth seats that were offered in `87, and in some other years as well.

Good luck to you with the color restoration project you'd mentioned at the outset of your thread.
FieroGTFan

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-22-2010 03:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTFanSend a Private Message to FieroGTFanDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for all the help guys. Glad I got that all sorted out.
1984SE2M4

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1984SE2M4Send a Private Message to 1984SE2M4Direct Link to This Post
I am having trouble too with my paint codes, I have an 87 GT and my sticker says as follows WA8555 U41U 82D. My car is two tone and being that I bought the car from the original owner I know it has never been painted but I cannot find reference to the lower ground effects code. What is the metallic grey color called or what is the code for it? I am about to buy paint as well...
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
the 8555 AND the 41U are both for Black paint. If it dont have another WA number or one ending in an 'L', you need to go to the paint store and match their chip. Like mentioned above, I think there are 3 different ones.
Tony Kania

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 305
User Banned

Report this Post06-21-2011 03:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tony KaniaSend a Private Message to Tony KaniaDirect Link to This Post
Just a bump. Much help this morning. Thanks.

Tony

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock