3800 camaro flywheel 3800 n/a swap by LuckyStrike
Started on: 12-01-2009 12:21 AM
Replies: 14
Last post by: GuitarFiero on 02-02-2011 02:48 PM
LuckyStrike

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LuckyStrikeSend a Private Message to LuckyStrikeDirect Link to This Post
I found a camaro 3800 MT flywheel and it will be here tomorrow, i wanna drop it off at the machine shop when i get it....what do i need too tell them i need done too it! I just dont want too have too buy another! also can someone confirm that the heavy duty 2.8 clutch that the fiero store sells is going to work? thanks a ton for all the info so far! -strike-
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 01:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
I've heard good things about the SPEC 3+ and the McLeod... I wouldn't use a generic clutch on a 3800 swap, but that's just me, but I haven't finished my own yet.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I would stay away from the Mcleod as I have had them rub on the tranny case to the point where the engine would not even fully turn over. The SPEC III and III + are both good clutches that I have used on more then 20 swaps with no problems.
Clutchnet is also pretty good and fit with no rubbing. Dan
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 09:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
You need the flywheel faced downt to .84" from the mounting surface which is a boss on the engine side around .050" high. So dont let them measure the thickness on the outer edge missing the mounting boss.

Also it would be a good Idea to take the flexplate from your 3800 to them and ask them to check that the balance matches after macining. I had a Camaro flywheel that had balace holes drilled in it on the clutch side around the edge. After it was faced the balance was way off.

The Fiero V6 clutch will not hold up. I have used The 9-11/16" McCleod's on two swaps with no probs, one Isuzu and one Getrag. I have heard good and bad on Spec Clutches, People seem to be happy with ClutchNet.
LuckyStrike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LuckyStrikeSend a Private Message to LuckyStrikeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

You need the flywheel faced downt to .84" from the mounting surface which is a boss on the engine side around .050" high. So dont let them measure the thickness on the outer edge missing the mounting boss.

So just too be clear, the whole flywheel gets turned down to .84" or just where it mounts to the engine? giving it a dished type look? I just really wanna be clear on this, thanks again for the help! -strike-
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 11:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
The entire clutch side surface gets cut down. Total thickness to the crank mounting boss is .84"
LuckyStrike

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 12:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LuckyStrikeSend a Private Message to LuckyStrikeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mike Gonzalez:

The entire clutch side surface gets cut down. Total thickness to the crank mounting boss is .84"

+ for u! thanks again -strike-
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
If you're staying with a NA 3800, I would think you should be OK with an upgraded 2.8 unit. The extra power from the 3800 shouldn't be enough to overpower an upgraded 2.8 clutch.
The_potatoking

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for The_potatokingSend a Private Message to The_potatokingDirect Link to This Post
A little off topic but what's with the -strike- at the end of it posts? Anything to do with the 502nd?
Tiny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 04:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TinyClick Here to visit Tiny's HomePageSend a Private Message to TinyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by The_potatoking:

A little off topic but what's with the -strike- at the end of it posts? Anything to do with the 502nd?

Looks to be his name.

------------------
S.A.R.S. Drive it like you stole it

dhobbs84sc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2009 05:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dhobbs84scSend a Private Message to dhobbs84scDirect Link to This Post
http://www.autozone.com/aut...filterByKeyWord=&isS earchByPartNumber=&navValue=11200906&categoryNValue=&fromWhere=null&itemId=906-0&displayName=Flywheel+-+Manual+Transmission&store=690&searchText=&brandName=Standard
would this flywheel work? Not meaning to hijack or anything it just seemed to be on topic. I mean could I buy this flywheel then get it machined down?
PFF
System Bot
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2009 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dhobbs84sc:

would this flywheel work? Not meaning to hijack or anything it just seemed to be on topic. I mean could I buy this flywheel then get it machined down?

That link didnt tell what the flywheel was for, the picture looks right !

GuitarFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 08:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GuitarFieroClick Here to visit GuitarFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to GuitarFieroDirect Link to This Post
I don't know if you already have had it done, but my dad has refaced many flywheels for the 3800 builds. If you wanted, you could send us the flywheel and we could do it for you.

------------------
"GuitarFiero" on YouTube
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

Fastest 1/8th mile: 7.392 sec/94 MPH/1.582 sec 60'

L67

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 219
User Banned

Report this Post02-02-2011 08:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for L67Send a Private Message to L67Direct Link to This Post
This post is two years old dude....
GuitarFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2011 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GuitarFieroClick Here to visit GuitarFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to GuitarFieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow... I looked at the month and day, not the year!

------------------
"GuitarFiero" on YouTube
1987 Pontiac Fiero GT

Fastest 1/8th mile: 7.392 sec/94 MPH/1.582 sec 60'

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock