THM 425 reverse rotation by engine man
Started on: 11-29-2009 02:04 PM
Replies: 134
Last post by: TommyRocker on 10-16-2011 10:55 AM
engine man

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 12:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
ya i will get the axles and all the brackets but dont think i will be using the tranny due to it needs many things to get it up to taking the torque . but we will see on monday what i will go I called CPT the first person i called art car is not him they bough his name basicly but when i did call him he said to call on monday thats when the guy could tell me what i needed to do .
IP: Logged
AmericanMuscle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post
Heres another article on the th200-4L
http://chevyhighperformance...rive-gear/index.html
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 09:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I might give it a try but that 325-4l still makes me nervuse
AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post
Any leads on an engine?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2009 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
not realy just a bunch of 400 pontiacs but i might go with that then get a stroker kit
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well i went to the junk yard got a thm 325 differential and like i thought it is female and i counted the splines once it cam out to 27 splines. it looks good like i can get a common GM 27 spline output shaft for the thm425 make an adaptor plate and life will be good.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
photos of the differential female input

AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

well i went to the junk yard got a thm 325 differential and like i thought it is female and i counted the splines once it cam out to 27 splines. it looks good like i can get a common GM 27 spline output shaft for the thm425 make an adaptor plate and life will be good.

What is the spline count and diameter of the 425? and where do you find the 27 spline for the 425?
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 03:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
aftermarket vendor have the output shaft . I am gona swing by a tranny shop and see if they have a old output chaft to see if it fits the differential just to make sure
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
the output shaft from this link http://www.transmissioncent...shafts_and_drums.htm
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
well i recounted the splines and made sure it is 27 splines so i prety sure it is the same as the 27 spline for the drive shaft in all RWD GM products with THM 350,200c &4r the only ones are the thm400 and powerglide . so things are looking good I or some one will make me an adaptor plate then i just need the new output shaft and i will have the thm425 revers rotaion
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2009 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I went to the junk yard today and confirmed that the shaft is the same i took a drive shaft from a GMC truck over to the tranny i pulled the differential from and the yoke slid right on the output shaft of that thm325-4l.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
now that i feel i have my dilemma for the tranny is over i will need to find the engine . I will be taking a break from this project due to i am about to get a formula that needs work and would like to get it on the road and show it has 910 origenal miles but has been siting for years outside

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-15-2009).]

AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 12:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post
Looks like your breaking new ground here with the output shaft and all, way to go, good luck on the formula.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2009 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I dont know where i saw a THM325 differential but it was on one of these forums so that gave me the idea and then just had to check out the shafts spline . thanks for the good words of support

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 12-15-2009).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well i got a 3/4 inch thick pice of aluminum and have drilled the the 425 pattern on it and i need to get it bored for the 325 differential then i can drill the holes for it should be done after the new year
AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post
You might want to hold off on building the diff rotation spacer until tou bolt you engine up being from what I was told, at least on a sbc that the axle through the pan location has to pass under a main cap, or you may end up with your diff in the wrong spot, where you axle will run into a rod. I drew a pic for better understanding.

[This message has been edited by AmericanMuscle (edited 12-23-2009).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-23-2009 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
not doing a SBC I wanted a pontiac but the dam things are so hard to find not much for 455 bt there are some 400 . I am considering a 500 Cadillac engine for it make a real monster
AmericanMuscle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 12:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AmericanMuscleSend a Private Message to AmericanMuscleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by engine man:

not doing a SBC I wanted a pontiac but the dam things are so hard to find not much for 455 bt there are some 400 . I am considering a 500 Cadillac engine for it make a real monster

I realize your not doing a sbc but the concept is the same, probably even more so being the pontiacs main journal is most likely bigger.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 03:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
i will take a few mesurements to see if there will be problems
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 07:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
I took a few mesuerments and it is 13 inches to the center of the axle with the original diff bolted on that puts it past the main cap it is 13 3/4 with my adaptor and 325 diff . now the drop is 4 + inches from the center of the crank to the center of the axle so i dont see the problem . the stroke on a 350 SBC is only 3.5 inches but you must devide that in half due to it is 1.75 down and 1.75 up so the crank arm radius is 1.75 now add another inch for rod jurnal out from center you are at 2.75 then the axle is say another 1/2 inch you are at 3.25 so you should have about 3/4 of an inch. but when i get the engine i am going to use i will drill the holes this way i can angle the axle down to miss every thing.
PFF
System Bot
Fog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 08:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FogSend a Private Message to FogDirect Link to This Post
Just measure everything.
My 425 RR shaft hits the #2 cyl rod on the GN engine so I had to make a 2" spacer between the bellhousing and crank-flywheel.
Now it sits right below the #2 main.
The spacers costed me in aluminium and labour about 100$ total.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2009 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well like i said i will just rotate the differential till that axle misses every thing i havent drilled the adaptor that i am building for the 325 differential that will be used on the 425 tranny
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-11-2010 01:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Hi i know that i havent posted anything on this project but it is not dead just working on the 88 formula to get it into shape then i will back on this project
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 03:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
just thought i would post this project not dead i should be starting back on it in a few weeks
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 05:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
the engine will be the 455 olds from my jet boat it will stay stock for now the boat is going to get a LQ9 . the Olds may get destroked when i get a chance to rebuild the engine so it will be a 425 but i will be adding a 671 blower on top
FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-10-2010 07:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDDirect Link to This Post
I have a cradle that was set up for the 500 ci caddy/425. send me a e-mail and i will send pictures. the builder used big bearing spindles and 325 axles ( with a adapter plate ) with the 425 diff. He swaped the spindles side to side to put the tie rod in the front. Never saw it with the engine, I got it after the engine was gone. I thought about using a BBC/425 in a home built car. The thought that I had was to move the MOTOR away from the trans just enuff to get the axle to run behind the oil pan. I was going to use 2 of the chevy-to-PBO adapter plates with long spacers welded in for the bolts to run through, ( realy long bolts) and a long peice that would go between the crank flange and the flex plate. Moves a lot of weight to the front, simple, but would not fit in a fiero with the stock wheel base.
www.frwihall@aol.com
The outer ends of the 325 axles will fit in the big bearing spindles. Give up on the handling and go for a wheely car!
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-14-2010 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
the engine in my car is going to be mounted backward so the damper and pullys will be facing the back of the car . how i am doing this is using the TH425 tranny with a Diff from the TH325 flipped. I have orderd an output shaft for the tranny with the right spline and I am making an adaptor plate for the diff . I would have liked to use a 454 chevy or even a pontiac 455 but i have the Olds 455 so i just need an oil pan for it . I think i the future i will destroke to 425 but put turbos or a blower on it
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well i was going to go with the Olds till today when i found a 70 eldorado with a 500 inch engine and 400 hp and 550 torque i think if i just change it over to fuel injection then i can bump the torque up a bit .

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-15-2010).]

FFIEROFRED

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FFIEROFREDSend a Private Message to FFIEROFREDDirect Link to This Post
You will never hook up what it's got now. The set up I have used the stock 84? 325r4 axles and the spindals/brakes from a "A" / "N" car with the big bolt pat. stock fiero ball joint/tierod end fit. Years ago I bought a holley 950 fuel injection kit ( universal ) it came with 2 undriled fuel rails and 8 cups to put in the intake runners for the injecters. But you have to have a intake with all the runners on the same plane.
When you get it running, and are going to work the motor hard, take some vid, it should be interesting.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 11:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The 500 caddy in the mid 70's was offered with a port fuel injection intake manifold.
I would scrap all the electrical bits and convert to later model electronics/injectors, but that would give you the intake, throttle body and fuel rails.
PFF
System Bot
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-15-2010 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
i know that they had that fuel injection but hard to find so i will go carb at first and as far as hooking it up i know it will spin the tires at will but it will be a show off deal maybe go drifting lol
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2010 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
well i started to pull the 500 but it was froze up could not get it to turn over so not sure what engine will endup hooked to the tranny
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2010 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I got the new output shaft and it fits just like i thought now you can do a th425 with a 325 diff flipped the last part will be making tha adaptor bt thats not that big a deal. i will post pic tomorow

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 06:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
Ok some pics of the th400 output shaft with the th350 27 splines you will see it fits in the th325's differetial perfect so this will fix the problem having a strong tranny and being able to flip the differential over

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-27-2010).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2010 06:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post

engine man

5298 posts
Member since Mar 2006
hmmm what the heck cant get pics up

[This message has been edited by engine man (edited 03-23-2010).]

engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2010 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
below is somthing copied not sure this would work some one who knows trannys pleas tell

simple reverse rotation to me involves, NOT making an upsidedown diff adaptor plate and then fabricating an oil pan (resulting in extra drag from the fluid in the gears), but rather using a turbo 400 drum and planetary set and wile your at it get the six clutch drum.The gears are cross cut the other way on the rear wheel drive tranny and will reverse your rotation.flip the intermediate sprag over so it clutches the drum the other dirrection.

opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2010 05:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post

When you reverse rotate the diff by altering the transmission internally the torque of the pinion pushes the ring gear backward exactly as if the car were shifted into reverse only the car will do 120 MPH in reverse (wich is actually forward because the drive train assembly is spun a 180.).Question is will the diff hold up to this eccelerating torque and mph in that the cross cut of the gears are now trusting what used to be the minor thrust side.

When you flip the diff you trust the side of the gears that were always the primary thrust side any how. Problem is are you now over lubricating the diff and creating a hydrolic wedge of friction between the gears.

on a 400 tranny the tailshaft faces the back of the car, on a 425 trans the tailshaft faces the front of the car. the 425 internals are the same as the 400 so parts can be swaped the only difference being the reverse rotation that the 400 parts would provide. more specificaly the planetary set and intermediate spag orientation. i havent done this or built a reverse rotation car but have talked to people that have. i would get a 400 core and a 425 tranny and open them both up, lay the parts out in two rows like an exploded view. then compare one to the other and substitute the reverse rotation parts. this would be plenty strong as it is in a 400 but again i dont know the design critieria or strength surrounding the issue of reversing major load to minor load on the ring and pinion gear surfaces

All the above from a guy, bigblock fiero on the forum.
As far as I know, this was proposed but never fully investigated

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

Fog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2010 04:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FogSend a Private Message to FogDirect Link to This Post
The internals ARE the same. I'm right this moment building up a 425, and bits from 400 work.
drums, frictions, steels, needle bearings, center support etc.
I have already done dual-feed mod and right now I'm trying out a transbrake idea that I thought out.
engine man

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-15-2010 10:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for engine manSend a Private Message to engine manDirect Link to This Post
I gota get the rest of my things from FL . I am looking to do a caddy engine might even bore & stroke it out to 572 that would be fun
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 4 pages long:  1   2   3   4 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock