Started on: 10-01-2008 06:11 AM
Replies: 32
Last post by: Tha Driver on 09-02-2011 01:23 AM
Tha Driver

Feedback score:    (46)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 204
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 06:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Hi everyone,
I just made the cradle for the custom car (I *do* still work on the Fieros every now & then) & thought some of you might like to see it. Made of 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" x 1/8" steel tube, with 1/8" plate for the suspension/engine mounts & 4"x 4"x 3/16" for the rear body mounts (some 4x4 scrap that I have - the same poles I made my building out of). Corners of the rectangular tube are gusseted with 1"x 2" tube cut at 45 degree angles. (I call them a "boxed gusset".)
Partly made still on the jig:

Unpainted:

Painted:

Did anyone ever get the weight of the original '88 cradle? I'll post the weight of mine soon.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

People who are lucky should hold out a helping hand for those less fortunate. - Paul Newman
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
kawana

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 06:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
pics dont work
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 07:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
As shown in the pic, the 88 cradle weighs 62 lbs.

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 03:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kawana:

pics dont work

Work fine for me. What are you getting? If it's a square area saying "image", you may have to re-load the page. Or try right-clicking on the square & choose "image properties" to get the link.
NW-Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NW-FieroSend a Private Message to NW-FieroDirect Link to This Post
No, I can see a white box with the RED X .. The link http: does not have the www. first so I believe the hot link does not work in Explorer......

------------------
Mark
In the Great Northwest!

Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 03:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
Pics work for me. It doesn't look much lighter than a stock cradle though?
Doug85GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 121
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 04:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug85GTSend a Private Message to Doug85GTDirect Link to This Post
It will be hard to make a new cradle that is lighter than the stock one using steel. To give you an idea of how much steel weighs, you can go to this site and look up the weight per in of standard stock:

http://www.speedymetals.com...nphpYCFQ0xawod9FWGFA
Rickady88GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 06:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
You could try to modify an aluminum one.

This one is from a 2000 Impala SS, but several GM cars had them. I don't remember how much lighter it is, but it is NOT worth the time and effort just to save 10-15 pounds. But it is definitely cool looking.

I will not use this cradle for the swap, but it does seem doable if you have the skill.

------------------

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

pics dont work

Same, no pics. using IE.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 07:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jncomutt:

Pics work for me. It doesn't look much lighter than a stock cradle though?

It did come out a little heavier than I expected. This one was not built for ultimate weight loss, but to save a few pounds & give me a nice clean strong cradle to do my swap on. It's 40 lbs. The solo cradle will be about half of what the stock cradle weighs.
Let me see if I can make the pics work for the I.E. losers - er I mean users.

Let me know if the www helped.

EDIT: heck they don't work for me (in Opera) that way. Strange...
EDIT #2 Good-god-a-mighty if I open another tab & paste in the URL the image opens just fine - & THEN loads on THIS page.... WTF???
ANYWAY, here are the URLs so you can open them in another window/tab:
http://www.angelonearth.net...es/88CradleOnJig.jpg
http://www.angelonearth.net/images/88Cradle.jpg
http://www.angelonearth.net/images/88Cradle2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 10-01-2008).]

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Pics do not work for me either...

The images directory on your website:

Forbidden! You do not have access to this directory

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 10-01-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
For cryin' out loud:

Nice looking work, fill us in a bit.

David Breeze

------------------

Pantera Rebody Kits

Back On Holiday

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Back On HolidaySend a Private Message to Back On HolidayDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by opm2000:

For cryin' out loud:

Nice job, and thx for the img fix

[This message has been edited by Back On Holiday (edited 10-01-2008).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 08:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Paul,

Nice work! (I couldn't get to the pics, either.)
It occurs to me that if you can move the front rail a few inches forward, this will make an excellent option for the Northstar swappers.
(The welding, alone, is stopping at least a few people from trying to swap Northstars.)

If you're interested in producing these, don't just take my word for it. Ask around for the particulars.

What would be your price for a custom cradle?

David Breeze

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 10-01-2008).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 01:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

David Breeze

What would you like to know?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Raydar:

Paul,

Nice work! (I couldn't get to the pics, either.)
It occurs to me that if you can move the front rail a few inches forward, this will make an excellent option for the Northstar swappers.
(The welding, alone, is stopping at least a few people from trying to swap Northstars.)

If you're interested in producing these, don't just take my word for it. Ask around for the particulars.

What would be your price for a custom cradle?

Yeah there are several changes that could be made. The front crossmember was located there so that I could put the trans mount in the original spot, & weld to that rail. Not a problem to re-locate it.
Also, the rear body mounts could be made out of smaller, lighter material, & the way I attached the rails to it can be simplified.
I actually have no idea if the engine & trans will clear everything, but I'm pretty sure they will.
I can make them for around $750.

fieroguru - The "image" folder has the forbidden error page: I have no idea why you would get that if you had the full URL to the image(s) pasted in.
Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 02:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post
Did you move the inner suspension mounts up to improve/correct the geometry?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steven Snyder:

Did you move the inner suspension mounts up to improve/correct the geometry?

For my car the cradle mounts are about an inch lower, which moves everything up an inch (into the body of the car). In addition to that, there will be more ground clearence as the rails do not hang below the suspension mounts as they do on the stock cradle. Since I'll be making motor & trans mounts for a 4T60e & (at this time) a 3800, I can move them to any point I want/need. I made the jig to make a cradle with stock mounts, & with optional provisions for a 2" drop on the body mounts (raising the cradle up). But I can space those (body) mounts any way that's needed when welding up the cradle, keeping the suspension & engine/trans mounts in the same place in relation to each other. That *may* cause problems with clearences in the engine compartment when using stock rubber engine/trans mounts, but of course the engine/trans mounts on the cradle can also be moved, or left out & added later if need be.
I'll know more when I mount everything up & bolt it into the car, of course. May be a while, as I have a lot of work to do at this time.
Edit: Another thing I did was weld up the ends of the tubing so that there are no open ends to collect dirt/moisture. Only had to do that at the front body mounts, as everything else was already closed.

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 10-02-2008).]

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 06:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by Raydar:

Paul,

I might add; my front crossmember is already 3+ inches further forward than the stock cradle. Look at the front trans mount in relation the crossmember on both cradles. Is that enough for a Northstar?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 06:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Tha Driver

4559 posts
Member since Sep 2006

Originally posted by fieroguru:

As shown in the pic, the 88 cradle weighs 62 lbs.

Forgot to thank you for that - THANKS!
I'll weigh the bolts & control arms in your pic when I get time, & we'll know exactly how much this cradle will save me (probably around 17 to 18 lbs.).
As I said, the solo cradle I plan to make will save much more. I'll most likely be making it out of 1 1/2" round tube (& it won't need to be near as strong).
kawana

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 06:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kawanaClick Here to visit kawana's HomePageSend a Private Message to kawanaDirect Link to This Post
i think there would be a market for people to try and duplicate the 88 cradles (whatever it is about them that makes them better than the others), and try to sell them. 88' cradles are getting harder and harder to find...
PFF
System Bot
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Tha Driver:
I might add; my front crossmember is already 3+ inches further forward than the stock cradle. Look at the front trans mount in relation the crossmember on both cradles. Is that enough for a Northstar?

I'm not sure that 3 inches is enough. I've never done a Northstar, because the welding and fabrication is beyond my abilities. (It appears that the engine management has been "handled".)
Perhaps Will or one of the other Northstar fans will chime in.

i think there would be a market for people to try and duplicate the 88 cradles (whatever it is about them that makes them better than the others), and try to sell them. 88' cradles are getting harder and harder to find...

The main thing that makes the '88 cradle more desireable is the redesigned '88 suspension. (It's a semi-popular swap into the earlier cars.)
There are also the folks who consider the '88 cradle to be not as sturdy as the earlier years.

Steven Snyder

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steven SnyderClick Here to visit Steven Snyder's HomePageSend a Private Message to Steven SnyderDirect Link to This Post

For my car the cradle mounts are about an inch lower, which moves everything up an inch (into the body of the car). In addition to that, there will be more ground clearence as the rails do not hang below the suspension mounts as they do on the stock cradle.

Excellent!
Zac88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Zac88GTClick Here to visit Zac88GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to Zac88GTDirect Link to This Post

Nope, I'm pretty sure i needed to move mine forward by 6" or so but it's been a while.
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2008 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zac88GT:

Nope, I'm pretty sure i needed to move mine forward by 6" or so but it's been a while.

Did you use the stock trans mounts? I would love to have some type of diagrams & measurements for the mounts (& clearences) for different conversions. For that matter, different engines & trans to be able to mock them up.
BMTFIERO

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BMTFIEROSend a Private Message to BMTFIERODirect Link to This Post
Did this fall by the waste side?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2009 03:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
Depends. I haven't installed it yet, so if that's "fallen by the way side" then I guess it has. I'm waiting now for delivery of a 3800 SC to put on it. I also need to find the inner sleeves for the '88 rear suspension forward links: I'm using used urethane bushings for the motor mounts. I do have the mounts mostly done.
I haven't worked a lot on it as it's only one of my three main projects, & I'm trying to spend most of my time & money on the VW (it has '88 Fiero running gear/suspension & a SBC mid-engine ).
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

If you haven't seen the future, you're not going fast enough! - Christian Von Coenigsegg
Knight

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KnightSend a Private Message to KnightDirect Link to This Post
Bump for update.

I want to do the 88 cradle swap. I was thinking that I may have to get a local fab shop to make a custom one with adjustable suspension mounts so I can fine tune the geometry.

Anybody have any more info on repositioning the suspension mounting points and why. Is it only needed for use with the earlier front suspensions?

I would much rather have another Fiero owner build it, so the knowledge can be shared with all.

Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2010 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post
You change the location of the suspension mounts if you're lowering the car, to keep the suspension geometry the same.
I have the SC engine now; without an ECU or wiring harness. Gonna start a thread to determine my options.
Still plan to concentrate my efforts on the VW & pickup, but want to at least mount the engine/trans/cradle in the car as soon as I can afford axles.
VW: http://angelonearth.net/VW.html
Pickup: http://angelonearth.net/pickup.html < will update soon with new pics using GodzillaDolly.
Frank & Godzilla: http://angelonearth.net/Frank.html
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Not sure where we're going but, no sense in being late!
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post

For my car the cradle mounts are about an inch lower, which moves everything up an inch (into the body of the car). In addition to that, there will be more ground clearence as the rails do not hang below the suspension mounts as they do on the stock cradle.

That has got me thinking I could mod a stock cradle by shortening the height of the stock cradle mounts
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-01-2010 04:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Erik:

That has got me thinking I could mod a stock cradle by shortening the height of the stock cradle mounts

You can do that, but remember you'll also be moving the engine & transaxle up into the car. May not be a bad thing, but I'm sure you'll run into length issues with lines & such, & maybe clearance of the decklid. With my custom cradle, the mounts are in the same position in relation to the body (but I'm making custom mounts for the 4T60e & 3800). I'll let everyone know how it all works out when I install it.
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

If you can't take the heat, get out of the nuclear reactor.

[This message has been edited by Tha Driver (edited 07-01-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
LZeppelin513

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeppelin513Send a Private Message to LZeppelin513Direct Link to This Post
Driver- Did you end up installing this cradle? Are you still making these?
Tha Driver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2011 01:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Tha DriverClick Here to visit Tha Driver's HomePageSend a Private Message to Tha DriverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by LZeppelin513:

Driver- Did you end up installing this cradle? Are you still making these?

Still have not installed it. I got the 3800 SC, but other projects & time/money have not permitted me to work on the custom car. The SC engine appears to be very tired so I'm planning to tear both down to the short block & use the best engine of the two for the SC. I HAVE recently acquired a 4.9 & most everything to install it (including an Ed Parks harness) but I think I'll put that in the T-Top or maybe even sell it to fund other projects, since the T-Top engine is in good condition anyway. But if I used the 4.9 & SC engine in the T-Top & custom car, I'd have a stock 2.8 to go back in the solo project (but I'd rather have a 3.4). Who knows...
I can make a cradle at any time; I still have the jig of course. Still plan to make a round tube one for the solo project if I ever get back on it.
Right now the VW & pickup are my main concerns. VW for fun, the pickup 'cause I need it:
http://angelonearth.net/VW.html
http://angelonearth.net/pickup.html
~ Paul
aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay