Started on: 09-07-2008 09:17 AM
Replies: 177
Last post by: topcat on 02-06-2012 11:48 AM
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
We have completed the installation of a new set of VDI hinges on DrCPU's car.

As stated in the What's up at Archie's thread we were going to post a video of everything that needed to be done to install a set of the Universal VDI hinges on a Fiero.

The Video turned out to be almost 30 minutes long, so I had to upload it in 3 parts.

Here it is......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmfwG0CbfT0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JJ8g-lamR8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLj8bIwz3OM

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 09-07-2008).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Xanth

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 174
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 11:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XanthSend a Private Message to XanthDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for taking the time to make a vid, watching it right now
JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 01:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Nice video Archie! Thanks so much for doing this.

It's only fitting that Curly ended up in the video and the Curly pose with the 2 of them was just awsome! LOL

Now all we need is a "How to do a Chop Top Video". ?

Can someone host the video somewhere so it can be downloaded?

------------------

Sail Panel Window Alternative //www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum4/HTML/043053.html
My best advice when it comes to your Fiero is to "NOT" do any dealings with www.kitcarman.com
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-1-061575.html <~ The drama with kitcarman
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/078336.html <~ finishing and fixing kitcarmans mess
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/079860.html <~ re-do after kitcarmans motor blew up.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 09-07-2008).]

jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 01:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by JimmyS:

Can someone host the video somewhere so it can be downloaded?

If you want to download the videos...go here and paste in the URLs...bingo it's yours.

http://keepvid.com/

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 06:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Thanks a lot jscott1. I always wondered how to save youtube vids.
Robert 2

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 11:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Robert 2Send a Private Message to Robert 2Direct Link to This Post
Nice video

[This message has been edited by Robert 2 (edited 09-08-2008).]

madcurl

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2008 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

We have completed the installation of a new set of VDI hinges on DrCPU's car.

"Santa put some hinges on my car." That Dave had me laughing all day long, hee-hee. I'm very proud of Archie of making a "how-to" bolt-on VDI video kit on a Fiero. I'm very happy that Dave was the first. Now many more will have the option of having Lambo doors for their Fiero.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 09-08-2008).]

whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 09:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Thank You for doing this Archie,Dr CPU, and crew GREAT JOB ALL!
once I save a few more pennies I will get my set my wheels and tires set me back on my timeline a little
but it will be done!
ltlfrari

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 11:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
Archie, have you considered taking a set of the modified hinges and using them as templates to make your own true 'bolt on' kit from the ground up. Seems to me that once you have modified this kit to the point where it bolt's up it not much of step to making your own ('not much of a step' being relative!).

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 05:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

Thank You for doing this Archie,Dr CPU, and crew GREAT JOB ALL!
once I save a few more pennies I will get my set my wheels and tires set me back on my timeline a little
but it will be done!

Once again I had one of the best weeks vacation ever - spending it at Archie's and getting to do and view work being performed on my car. I removed all the hard stuff (hahaa) and then buttoned it back up at the end. At the beginning, after I placed the VDI hinge where it was supposed to go I did feel more than just a little green when nothing lined up. Rob just looked at me - winked and said "No problems Dave, I know exactly what to do." I wasn't so sure right then.

I now know how to install them - even if I don't have the skills and equipment. Having spent two days making the videos and watching Rob do every step I know what "customising" was needed. Thanks from me to a great crew - Arch, Rob and Kris!

Dave, aka DrCPU, aka TAZMNDVL

PS. Just showed the car to my 83 yrd old Dad and he was totally blown away! Thought it was a $100k car.... Well about 30% there...... (snicker)
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 05:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for posting the video. Having seen how yours was done took a lot of questions out of my mind on how to do it..
I might even decide to do some on my 85.
One question, is the a model or part # for the VDI hinges? Are all the VDI's hinges basically the same except for the mount points.

I had someone offer me some that where for a 300M which look to be very close. I'm sure the bolt mounts would be different but since a person would need to make your own mounts you really only need the working hinge..

Is that somewhat correct or am I all wet....

thanks

DR

[This message has been edited by Dodgerunner (edited 09-08-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Thanks for posting the video. Having seen how yours was done took a lot of questions out of my mind on how to do it..
I might even decide to do some on my 85.
One question, is the a model or part # for the VDI hinges? Are all the VDI's hinges basically the same except for the mount points.

I had someone offer me some that where for a 300M which look to be very close. I'm sure the bolt mounts would be different but since a person would need to make your own mounts you really only need the working hinge..

Is that somewhat correct or am I all wet....

thanks

DR

Don't know if they are the same. Troy was the first to order the Universal kit (with 720lb struts) and I was the second. The hinges are from VDI but if you buy them from VDS you'll save a few hundred dollars. VDS is a Division of VDI.
Their link is here... http://verticaldoorsystem.com/index.html I delat with Zaldo - but anyone who answers the phone can help ya.

Dave
RumbleB

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RumbleBSend a Private Message to RumbleBDirect Link to This Post
Great video! One question - I have seen these door hinge kit on other cars and they sway in the wind or if you touch them ever so lite, they wiggle a lot. How well made are these hinges.

Thanks!
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2008 09:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RumbleB:

Great video! One question - I have seen these door hinge kit on other cars and they sway in the wind or if you touch them ever so lite, they wiggle a lot. How well made are these hinges.

Thanks!

In one of the videos, it demonstrates to two key parts that prevent the door from opening all-the-way outward and door bump stop that prevents the door from hitting the body of the car. Therefore you have "play" between these two components while the door is fully upward and the door will sway a bit, but this isn't malfunction rather the way the part is made for all VDC kit have the same issues. Only the truly lamborghini doors don't "sway" since their doors don't go outward and up, but rather up and down.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
I just watched the video. Nice job guy's
the only problem with the whole thing was the ending.
Curly just had to jump in there. HA HA! just kiding!
I also like the new pose for the chop tops
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

In one of the videos, it demonstrates to two key parts that prevent the door from opening all-the-way outward and door bump stop that prevents the door from hitting the body of the car. Therefore you have "play" between these two components while the door is fully upward and the door will sway a bit, but this isn't malfunction rather the way the part is made for all VDC kit have the same issues. Only the truly lamborghini doors don't "sway" since their doors don't go outward and up, but rather up and down.

Curley is right...if the hinge is adjusted properly there is a minimum of play while the door is extended, and it's adjustable. And even if it does move, it's not hurting anything. Also note, the hinge is limited from opening 90 degrees by the desire not to bump into the front fender. If you didn't have a front fender the Decah/VDI would open 90 degrees.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 05:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrCPU:

Don't know if they are the same. Troy was the first to order the Universal kit (with 720lb struts) and I was the second. The hinges are from VDI but if you buy them from VDS you'll save a few hundred dollars. VDS is a Division of VDI.
Their link is here... http://verticaldoorsystem.com/index.html I delat with Zaldo - but anyone who answers the phone can help ya.

Dave

Dave is 100% correct. Save yourself some money by calling VDS. Also please note. When calling VDS make sure you get the bump-stop that is adjustable and not one that is welded into position. Troy got his kit with the adjustable bump-stop whereas Dave's wasn't. Archie mentioned this issue on the video. I just wanted to make sure nobody forget this major flaw.

EDIT: IT'S BEST TO BUY RIGHT AFTER A MAJOR IMPORT SHOW like NOPI. YOU CAN GET THEM FOR $600 SHIPPED!

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 09-09-2008).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-09-2008 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

madcurl

21401 posts
Member since Jul 2003
The two key components: This is a Decah kit and it uses multi-bump-stop locations

[This message has been edited by madcurl (edited 09-09-2008).]

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
OK, let me throw this out there. When we posted the video up, we (Curley, DrCPU & Myself) were thinking that once the videos got a kazillion hits, We'd use that info to convince VDI to manufacture a Fiero specific kit.

However, we're not getting a kazillion hits any time soon.

So I'm thinking about buying 3 sets of the hinges. Then fitting & modifying them to be a bolt on to one of my donor cars around here. then selling them for whatever the total costs involved in buying & modifying all 3 sets of hinges. In other words the total cost of buying 3 sets of hinges, plus the total labor cost to modify those hinges to be a bolt on then divided by 3.

Think of it as a group buy if you will.

Your thoughts are welcome.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Cool.
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 10:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

Archie

Sounds good to me...I'll ask the obvious, How much??

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

Sounds good to me...I'll ask the obvious, How much??

what he said !

BTW thanks for doing and posting the video !!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 01:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

exoticse

8650 posts
Member since Jun 2003
WOW !!!!

just watched all the videos and,.... Whew !!

If i get these Archie will be doing them !! Way too much cutting and welding for me to handle.
daniel87fierogt

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 02:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for daniel87fierogtSend a Private Message to daniel87fierogtDirect Link to This Post
Archie,
If you do that then i will for sure take a set. Thanks Daniel
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Count me in!
if you want to save me the hastle of doing it myself and it cost a few bucks more. SOLD!
let me know how much and when
fourpoint9

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-13-2008 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fourpoint9Click Here to visit fourpoint9's HomePageSend a Private Message to fourpoint9Direct Link to This Post

OK, let me throw this out there. When we posted the video up, we (Curley, DrCPU & Myself) were thinking that once the videos got a kazillion hits, We'd use that info to convince VDI to manufacture a Fiero specific kit.

However, we're not getting a kazillion hits any time soon.

So I'm thinking about buying 3 sets of the hinges. Then fitting & modifying them to be a bolt on to one of my donor cars around here. then selling them for whatever the total costs involved in buying & modifying all 3 sets of hinges. In other words the total cost of buying 3 sets of hinges, plus the total labor cost to modify those hinges to be a bolt on then divided by 3.

Think of it as a group buy if you will.

Archie

a Fiero specific kit
http://verticaldoorsystem.c..._info.php?ItemID=506
caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
You mentioned 3 sets and a group buy thing. The cost on more than 3 should drop the overall costs, I would assume. I think thats the real question right now. Definitly interested. Want some earnest money, list of names???

Have a general question though. What's it like getting in and out of the car? Easy, clearance an issue? How hard is the door to open from inside, how hard to close from the inside. Do you have to be particular and open and close delicately?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Let me see if I can address some of the comments so far.

Initially, I'd like to comment that I personally don't desire to have Vertical Doors on my own car. There is plenty of room to get in & out of the car, however, I have Rheumatoid Arthritis in my shoulders & opening & closing the doors, at the angle you have to hold your arms, is hard for me.

First off, I see that VDS lists a Fiero specific kit. However, I would think that if they did have a bolt on kit then Curley, DrCPU, Troy or someone else on this forum would have got a set by now. I'll be calling them next week & I'll be sure to ask if they indeed do have a bolt on kit for our Fieros. If they do, then there would be no point in us modifying several sets of hinges.

I have a Fiero here that I'm pretty sure has never been crashed & if we use that car for the build then we think that we can have as close to a bolt on kit as we can get.

AS far as cost, I'll be calling VDI this week to get the cost for several sets of hinges. considering how long it took to do DrCPU's car a few weeks ago, I'm thinking it would take about a week or less of labor to convert 3 sets of hinges & trial fit them onto our donor car. As you can tell from the Videos we posted there are several parts that we had to make to weld & attach to the universal hinges. The benifit of converting several sets of hinges at the same time would be making these parts all at the same time.

Someone mentioned the fact that doing more than 3 sets should lower the total cost. That would be very true & is under consideration.

What would be the total cost?, I don't know yet, it depends on how many sets we modify & what the initial cost of the kits is.

Will the people that are interested need to make a deposit or "earnest money"? Yes they will. As I stated, I'm not too interested in a set for my own car. So I'm not looking forward to owning several sets of these myself.

I'm told that the Universal kit costs around $750.00, I'll be calling them to see if I can get them even cheaper than that. I'm thinking that if we do 3 to 5 sets it will add $600.00 to $700.00 per set to the cost, maybe less.

Open for comments while I get some more info.

Archie

caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-14-2008 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Archie. Appreciate all your efforts and I forgot to add earlier, THANKS for that video and sharing with the community. Can't stress enough.

Second, when you get answers to what you stated in the earlier post, and are ready, let us know. I am in line and will deposit what is needed.

Once the templates are built, will the "fitting" process be simply adjusting the existing tweaks on the hinges or additional fab work - in your opinion?

Thanks again!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 01:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Archie, I am in on this let me know how much money you need and I will get it to you.
and some Idea of a time line.
Thanks
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know how long the gas springs last on these applicaitons and what replacements cost?
PFF
System Bot
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 02:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dodgerunner:

Does anyone know how long the gas springs last on these applicaitons and what replacements cost?

Mine is perhaps the oldest on a Fiero. I've had my original ones since 2002-03 or so and I have not experienced any issues except I didn't get the heavy duty struts. However, the light dudy struts are operational, but you need some biceps to get them up, hehe. I got a replacement for $150 a pair, but I haven't felt the need to install them, so I'm waiting for them to blow-out first.

My second set was installed in 2005 and they too are working w/o any issues, but they are the heavy duty struts. My third set was installed in 2007, but I haven't had any time on them, but no issues so far.

I hope this bit of info helps.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 05:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
OK, I talked to Zaldo at VDS today.

The 1st thing I did was ask him if they have a kit specifically designed for the Fiero & he said NO.

Then I told him about our plan for a group buy.

He says that if I buy 5 sets or more, we can get them for $700.00 per set plus shipping.

Our best guess here is that it'll cost $500.00 to $600.00 per set to modify them.

So we can figure $1300.00 per set maximum. If everything goes well most likely less.

I have a chassis here that I bought back in 1994, it didn't have A/C so I've used it as a buck for a few interior kits but the point is that I know that chassis has never been wrecked.

I figure we would build the hinges on that chassis & have the best chance of the hinges working on your cars.

As we build the hinges on one car we would trial fit the 1st few hinges on another car here to put together some instructions you could use to put the hinges on your car at home.

The plan would be to have hinges that are virtually a bolt on for cars that haven't been wrecked. I would say that very little tweeking (adjusting) would be needed to put the finished hinges on your car at home.

We would need a minimum of 5 people to make this happen. A deposit of $700.00 would be required before I order the universal hinge kits. Once we get the kits (he says they have them in stock) I figure that we'd have them done within 10 working days. Once we have them done & they are ready to ship, we would calculate what the labor costs per set were & the buyers would need to pay that amount plus shipping.

Please don't order them if you can't afford them.

Archie
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 06:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Cost to install ?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-15-2008 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Cost to install ?

Considering that the front fenders, door skins, interior door panels & the kick panels would have to be removed & replaced along with installing the hinges, testing for clearances & adjusting if any, I think a set of them would take 8 to 10 hours to install.

So someone would be looking at $400 to $500 to install.

Archie

BTW, you have a PM
jscott1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2008 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post

OK, I talked to Zaldo at VDS today.

The 1st thing I did was ask him if they have a kit specifically designed for the Fiero & he said NO.

Archie

I was willing to bet the left part of my anatomy that they did not have a Fiero specific kit. The oldest trick on the internet is to advertise something you don't have just to trip up the search engines and get you to call. It's too easy to build a splashy web page without actually having a product.

I would also bet the left part of my anatomy that Archie's kit would fit any normal Fiero with little to no issues.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2008 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Songman and I found one company that used a unauthorized picture #011 as-their VDC kit to trick others into thinking they actually have (a) kit. I'm sure other companies will dubiously try that trick again using one of the various pics from our VDC threads. Another thing to look for are pictures. If they don't have pictures of a Fiero with the doors up, then most likely it's a fake for we all know who's Fiero has them and who does not.
caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2008 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
Archie,

PM sent.
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-16-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
So far 2 people have said that they have the money & are ready to go.

Still need 3 more SOLID people who are ready to go.

Archie
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 02:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Still need 3 more SOLID people who are ready to go.

Archie

Tony. Are you on board?
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock