Started on: 09-07-2008 09:17 AM
Replies: 177
Last post by: topcat on 02-06-2012 11:48 AM
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2008 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Archie,
I got my wings installed in about 2hrs friday night. I thought it would take longer but my car was most of the way appart already.
they were an exact fit on the car and only required very small adjustments. very easy bolt on mod. my hat is off to you and your great crew.
I look forward to even more ventures with you.
here are some pic's to inspire others.

I own page 4!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL!

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 11-24-2008).]

IP: Logged
exoticse

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2008 10:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice Whodeanie !!

2 hours ?!! ! Now, that is easy !

Archie said he is going to post a few pictures of my car too, i can't wait.

Great job. Your car is going to be sick.
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-24-2008 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post
2 Hours...wow... half the day and still not done.

Archie, in the video you showed the washers between the hinge and the frame, does this apply to the 88 as well? I looked for the step you were talking about but didn't see it...or just not looking in the right place. I'm going to start fresh in the morning and see what I missed.

Cas
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 08:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cas88GT:

Archie, in the video you showed the washers between the hinge and the frame, does this apply to the 88 as well? I looked for the step you were talking about but didn't see it...or just not looking in the right place. I'm going to start fresh in the morning and see what I missed.

Cas

My car is an 88 as well and yes you do need to use the washers behind the hinge mounting plate but only on the top one.
the body of the car has overlaping metal there and the washer brings it out flat.
keep in mind that most of my car is appart so I did not have to take a lot off of it to install them.
no the inside bottom bolt I love that I had no windshield I could just reach in and install it.
take your time, do it right. it is not a race. I would rather have it take you a little longer now and have it right then to have it appart for weeks trying to fix it.
good luck and keep us posted.
also keep in mind I work on cars and bikes all the time and have since I could hold a wrench in my fathers shop.
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Cas

whodeanie described the metal overlap just as I should have described it in the instruction video.

Here is a picture of the overlap on an 88 car, putting the washers behind out hinge just helps to keep the hinge square to the car.

As far as the amount of time it should take to do the swap. whodeanie is a Houdini even with his car partially disassembled 2 hours would be some kind of record. I'll bet he can escape from a straight jacketI in 60 seconds. I would guess that the average Fiero owner would take 8 to 10 hours to R&R for the hinge install.

Archie
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

whodeanie described the metal overlap just as I should have described it in the instruction video.

Here is a picture of the overlap on an 88 car, putting the washers behind out hinge just helps to keep the hinge square to the car.

As far as the amount of time it should take to do the swap. whodeanie is a Houdini even with his car partially disassembled 2 hours would be some kind of record. I'll bet he can escape from a straight jacketI in 60 seconds. I would guess that the average Fiero owner would take 8 to 10 hours to R&R for the hinge install.

Archie

LOL! yes I can! having had several Fieros before and air tools helps.
I agree 8 to 10 hrs. would be an average.
turn the music up loud and go to town and have fun with it.
Archie if your shop was not in the frozen north I would be knocking on your door for a job if it payed as much as my glass shop. LOL!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 10:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Archie said he is going to post a few pictures of my car too, i can't wait.

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 11:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
exoticse,
the car looks great.
nice job Archie!
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post
One door done one to go..lol

This should go much smoother.

Cas
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

One door done one to go..lol

This should go much smoother.

Cas

Cool post pic's when you get it done I would love to see it.

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-25-2008 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

exoticse,
the car looks great.
nice job Archie!

Thanks, .....yes it does thanks to Archie's crew !

You are looking at one happy man !
PFF
System Bot
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Wow - is this ever cool! I've been tied up with my Dad over the past two months and have had no time to view stuff on PFF. Now that I have a few minutes and a clear head I'm just loving the VDS installs. I guess we all owe it to the one and only Curley!

Tres chic - oui!

I don't know if there are any other Canadian with chops and VDI's but hope to be the only one around for a bit. Helps at the car shows (teheee)!

For those that are afraid about the work involved, it reeally is easy. Having been there in person and having removed faulty hinges myself (alone in the dark) makes for a great learning experience. I'm not super with wrenches - but given time and spome practise can get most jobs done. Having several other Fiero owners do this in their own garages just proves that a good design makes it so ANYONE can do it!

Congrats to all the new VDI owners and Archie and the boys for making htis happen.

Dave
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-26-2008 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Dave, thank you also you had a big hand in this one also.
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2008 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post
Well the doors are done and if I can figure out how to post picks I will. They have already started to settle into and easy open and close.

For those who haven't put theirs on yet, a little bit of info to save you time.... make sure your wiring running to the mirrors is out of the way BEFORE you put the door back together, or you may catch it in the window rolling it up.

Cas
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2008 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post
I thought I'd post a review on the doors after we have used them for all our shopping and running around.

When I first decided to make this Fiero everything I always wanted, Lambo doors were high on the list. Those that balked at the price Archie was SO generous in giving us, rest assured they are worth every penny.

They have become very easy to lift and shut, my wife has already gotten used to the motion. Everywhere we have been around The Big Easy it has people gathering around it, of course I had them open at every chance.

Thank you Archie and crew for the great product and a straight forward install.

Cas
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2008 11:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I thought I'd post a review on the doors after we have used them for all our shopping and running around.

When I first decided to make this Fiero everything I always wanted, Lambo doors were high on the list. Those that balked at the price Archie was SO generous in giving us, rest assured they are worth every penny.

They have become very easy to lift and shut, my wife has already gotten used to the motion. Everywhere we have been around The Big Easy it has people gathering around it, of course I had them open at every chance.

Thank you Archie and crew for the great product and a straight forward install.

Cas

Pics, pics !!
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 02:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
How long did it take yeah to install the VDC kit?
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2008 02:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

How long did it take yeah to install the VDC kit?

Total was probably around 12 hrs. I'm one of those guys who measures five time cut once...lol

I didn't realize the amount of cutting needed to the fenders, once I did the first side the rest was easy.

Cas
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2008 09:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Way to go the car looks great!
I love mine also but they are still hard to use on mine only because I need to put the glass and the inner door back on.
once I get all that done they will work great.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 08:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
bump for the next order! hehe
PFF
System Bot
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:

bump for the next order! hehe

I'd like to see a report on another set being installed to see if there's anything we can do to make it easier to do before deciding on doing another group of the hinges.

Also, I'm not really sure there's enough real interest to get enough people on board.

Archie
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:

I'd like to see a report on another set being installed to see if there's anything we can do to make it easier to do before deciding on doing another group of the hinges.

Also, I'm not really sure there's enough real interest to get enough people on board.

Archie

I personaly did not think they could have been easyer to install and as far as fit, Prefict!!
I am very pleased with mine the time and cost were both within reason.

I just bumped the thread to help out. to get people on board for a second bulk order if you chose to do so.

kennn

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 12:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kennnSend a Private Message to kennnDirect Link to This Post
What part(s) of the fenders require cutting?

Ken

------------------
'88 Formula V6
'88 GT TPI V8

whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kennn:

What part(s) of the fenders require cutting?

Ken

the back inside the door jamb. I don't have a pic of it but it is nothing that you will see from outside the car.

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2008 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
At the back edge of the front fender inside the door jamb.

Kinda like this....

Archie
toddshotrods

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for toddshotrodsClick Here to visit toddshotrods's HomePageSend a Private Message to toddshotrodsDirect Link to This Post
Wow, I am impressed! Great work Archie and Fiero people! The right guy finally put a hand to this and made it a reality. You just can't compete with a guy who has been living and breathing Fieros since their debut, and who has a shop full of tools, Fieros, skillful Fiero guys, Fiero stuff, and Fiero experience!

Also, as I always suspected there is not a real market for it. By the popularity of the threads you would think there would have been at least a couple dozen people throwing plastic and money orders at Archie. Glad to see there is finally a real option.

Happy Holidays!
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2008 12:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
i suspect once the economy improves and these cars, with the hinges, start hitting the show circuit you will see an increase in intrest.

[This message has been edited by exoticse (edited 12-19-2008).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2009 03:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Ok now that Archie has perfected the bolt on fiero VDI hinges, who is going to be the first and take it to the next level ???

Reverse lambo doors aka suicide lambo doors !!

Now that would be a show stopper !!
Sharkman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2009 09:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SharkmanSend a Private Message to SharkmanDirect Link to This Post
Have you seen what the new 2010 Volvo S60 will look like? Sweet doors

Video how it works http://uk.youtube.com/user/VolvoCarsNews

[This message has been edited by Sharkman (edited 01-03-2009).]

exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-23-2009 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Loving my lambo doors !!!!!!!!!!!!
PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Working like a charm !

Thanks Archie for making a great product,..thanks Curly for pushing Archie to do it, thanks Dr CPU for being the guinea pig, and thanks to all those who participated in the group buy making the whole thing a reality !

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:
Working like a charm !

Thanks Archie for making a great product,..thanks Curly for pushing Archie to do it, thanks Dr CPU for being the guinea pig, and thanks to all those who participated in the group buy making the whole thing a reality !

You're welcome.

The car looks a lot better there in the Sun than it did here in the Snow.

Archie
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post
Exoticse, is your top chopped? Any other plans for your baby? And are there no other hinges installed? I'm going to start my paint job soon and I think I'm going to pull the engine and put new seals in and maybe a little work to the intake and exhaust. I think I'm going to do the ecm upgrade as well. Still haven't found a 3800 series II locally and I have feelers out everywhere.

Cas
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-25-2009 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Exoticse, is your top chopped? Any other plans for your baby? And are there no other hinges installed? I'm going to start my paint job soon and I think I'm going to pull the engine and put new seals in and maybe a little work to the intake and exhaust. I think I'm going to do the ecm upgrade as well. Still haven't found a 3800 series II locally and I have feelers out everywhere.

Cas

Yes,..details below.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/057157.html
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Spring bump!
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 10:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post
Doors are still great! They have become very easy to open and close. Archie are there any plans to do another run? I am going to start building a car for my son and would like to put these hinges on it as well.

Now if I could just find a 355 nose for a decent price....

Cas

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-30-2009 03:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
If there is enough interest, we can do another run of 5 or more sets.

Not too excited about doing less than 5 sets at a time.

Archie

Doors are still great! They have become very easy to open and close. Archie are there any plans to do another run? I am going to start building a car for my son and would like to put these hinges on it as well.

Now if I could just find a 355 nose for a decent price....

Cas

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 03-30-2009).]

madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
This thread has been sprung!

fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2009 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
GREAT JOB! I have two sets of the lambo hinges (not your bolt on obviously). But after watching your video, it helped me realize that you have the better way to do it. I will probably install one set on my Fino and the other is destine for my F355 Spider Kit. Thanks for what you do for the Fiero community!

------------------
Why fight to be accepted by people you don't actually want to be like?

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock