VDI Hinge Install Video by Archie
Started on: 09-07-2008 09:17 AM
Replies: 177
Last post by: topcat on 02-06-2012 11:48 AM
Bubbajuju

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Archie:
...So someone would be looking at $400 to $500 to install.
Archie

That's fair.

Archie have you seen this kit before? If you have, do you have any opinions about it? It was the price and the degree of lift that caught my eye.
http://www.aerokits.net/DiabloHinge/diablo.htm

Oh BTW thanks for the video, I wish there were video's of all the work you guys do.

[This message has been edited by Bubbajuju (edited 09-17-2008).]

IP: Logged
madcurl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 314
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bubbajuju:
Archie have you seen this kit before? If you have, do you have any opinions about it? It was the price and the degree of lift that caught my eye.

Oh BTW thanks for the video, I wish there were video's of all the work you guys do.

A totally different beast;

Fierogtrouge Fiero using the G-Factory VDC kit.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

Originally posted by fierogtrouge:

Hi guys
When the car is in a slope, doors does not stay up but when the car is straight(right) they stay up perfectly.
And Yes the door are sécure at 100% because its still the OEM door lock
It can't be lifted before being fully opened cause there a lock! so it wont broke my paint
A other thing that I found important to tell you: When the door are open(when I'm at Show for exemple) When
thers a lot of wind,The wind make the door move and its not so so
Hope it will hepl you guys

http://s179.photobucket.com...w¤t=MOV00F.flv
Archie

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 546
Rate this member

Report this Post09-17-2008 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Bubbajuju:

I haven't studied the various door kits that are available. I personally don't want to have a set of vertical doors on my car because I have problems with my shoulders.

However, I do consult with Curley, Troy & DrCPU. When we did DrCPU's car Curley said to use the VDI kit. Curley has 3 cars with vertical doors on them, so AFAIC, he has to be the resident expert on these kits. Also we had installed a set of these on Troy's car & had proven that they could be "bolt on".

We did the video because several people had been asking us to install these doors. With the video, they now can see all the work that goes into installing these types of doors.

This offer of a group buy is for the guys who have wanted these types of doors but couldn't afford to pay a shop to research & modify a set of hinges to fit & work properly on a Fiero.

Archie
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 08:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by madcurl:

http://s179.photobucket.com...w¤t=MOV00F.flv

I have a kit very simmiler to this that I was going to use but after mocking it up I noticed the J hindge would be sticking in to the wheel well because the Fiero has a very small fneder.
and it uses 2 small struts to make it work and there would be no room for all that stuf in there.

Bubbajuju

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 11:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BubbajujuSend a Private Message to BubbajujuDirect Link to This Post
Right on guys,
Thanks for the heads up.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:
I have a kit very simmiler to this that I was going to use but after mocking it up I noticed the J hindge would be sticking in to the wheel well because the Fiero has a very small fender and it uses 2 small struts to make it work and there would be no room for all that stuf in there.

Yes. Due to the limited amount of space, only 1-strut is used thus the door can not fully remain verticle w/o being on level ground. The shop in FL (XS Custom) mentioned to me about the various issues regarding the kit. Therefore they recommended Decah or now known as VDI.
caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-18-2008 08:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
Here's your chance for a set of lambo doors at a reasonable price. Need three more victims/volunteers. Anyone?
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
OK, We have 3 people in right now.

Need 2 more.

Archie
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Archie, PM sent!
caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2008 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
ttt
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2008 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
One last bump
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
If only I wasn't sick of shipping my cars all over the freaking place...
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-23-2008 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

If only I wasn't sick of shipping my cars all over the freaking place...

What we're doing is hinges that you can install at home.

Archie
caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2008 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
1200 views and not 5 takers? Just need 2. $1200 is all it takes.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Archie,
I will pay the extra 50 bucks if you want to do it with 3.
I am almost to the point where I will need them.
let me know and I will get you the money.
thanks, D
exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

I know yellowstone was at one time interested in bolt on hinges, so i sent him a PM, might be worth a followup.

I know his car is overseas, but it might be the chance for him to get them now and put them on later.
caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-26-2008 12:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
Would pay the difference too for three sets if it comes to that. Please don't scrap this Archie. Let us know.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 07:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
bump for time running out to get in on this!
Cas88GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2008 11:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Cas88GTSend a Private Message to Cas88GTDirect Link to This Post
Archie,

When using your modified "bolt on" setup I assume the tabs still need to be welded in place.? I just call VDS and the man told me 1800 for the set!!! What is your time frame requirements for ordering a set from you? And is the price set at $1200 or is that just a rough estimate?

Cas

One more thing, given the fact that you can get these at a highly discounted price, will you offer them on a resale basis? Of course it is understood you will need to make your markup for your trouble.
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 10:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post
Bump for Trinton.

------------------

"Friends don't let friends drive stock"

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2008 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Cas88GT:

Archie,

When using your modified "bolt on" setup I assume the tabs still need to be welded in place.? I just call VDS and the man told me 1800 for the set!!! What is your time frame requirements for ordering a set from you? And is the price set at $1200 or is that just a rough estimate?

Cas

One more thing, given the fact that you can get these at a highly discounted price, will you offer them on a resale basis? Of course it is understood you will need to make your markup for your trouble.

Yes I think the door would still need to be locked into place during the hinge install.

I think earlier I said the maximum price would be $1300.00.

We plan to make a run of 5 sets for now then evaluate if there is need for more.

I'm planning to make this happen right away.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-04-2008).]

PFF
System Bot
joebaldie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 02:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joebaldieClick Here to visit joebaldie's HomePageSend a Private Message to joebaldieDirect Link to This Post
im interested but need a little more time
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
OK, I'm going to stick my neck out once again.

Right now I only have 3 confirmed orders but I'm going to go ahead & order 5 sets of these hinges.

I have to order these by Thursday of this week or I've wasted all the time I've put into this because I'll loose out on the good pricing I arranged.

Maybe the other 2 sets will et sold when people realize that I'm serious about this.

The people that are signed on need to contact me by Wednesday.

Archie
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-06-2008 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

OK, I'm going to stick my neck out once again.

Right now I only have 3 confirmed orders but I'm going to go ahead & order 5 sets of these hinges.

I have to order these by Thursday of this week or I've wasted all the time I've put into this because I'll loose out on the good pricing I arranged.

Maybe the other 2 sets will et sold when people realize that I'm serious about this.

The people that are signed on need to contact me by Wednesday.

Archie

pm sent.
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 08:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
Archie, I will call you today and I am sending the money!
I CAN'T WAIT WHOHOOO!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-07-2008 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
Please note, anyone wanting to get in on this group buy, needs to move on this right away.

You'll need to get a $700.00 down payment to be right away & be able to pay the balance of about $600.00 (plus shipping) when the hinges are done & reagy to ship.

We are figuring that it will take about 2 weeks after we get the hinges to complete them.

Then I'd like to ship them right away.

I may have 1 or 2 sets left over after we're all done. Those hinges will sell for $200.00 more than the total price the "group buy(er's)" are going to pay.

Archie

[This message has been edited by Archie (edited 10-07-2008).]

caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-08-2008 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
Patiently waiting Archie. Can't wait to get these in the mail and then on the car. Yooooohooooo!
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2008 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
my money whent out yesterday!
I know you said about 2 weeks after you get them to finish them but how long till you get them?
Apx 3 weeks total to get them?
let me know when and how much and I will send the rest asap.
Thanks Again Archie!!!!!!!!!!!!
Great job!!!!!!!!!!!
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
5 sets of the hinges have been ordered. I'm told they will ship out of CA this week.

I should have them before the end of next week.

Archie
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 07:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

5 sets of the hinges have been ordered. I'm told they will ship out of CA this week.

I should have them before the end of next week.

Archie

Sweet !
madcurl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2008 07:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for madcurlSend a Private Message to madcurlDirect Link to This Post

PFF
System Bot
DrCPU

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-15-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DrCPUSend a Private Message to DrCPUDirect Link to This Post
Just kidding on the frown..... I'm happy you have 3-5 online for the hinges. You guys each owe me at least a cheese burger as it cost me more to get the hinges done. We did take extra time to do the Video - and my "Santa gave me new hinges" is now immortalised. That's gotta be worth a few bucks!

Hey just kidding about the gripe - I'm grateful Archie agreed to do mine. He didn't charge me for getting in the way or being his constant companion for the week. He also did not charge me for all of the guys time - hey they were a lernin too!

DrCPU
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2008 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrCPU:

Just kidding on the frown..... I'm happy you have 3-5 online for the hinges. You guys each owe me at least a cheese burger as it cost me more to get the hinges done. We did take extra time to do the Video - and my "Santa gave me new hinges" is now immortalised. That's gotta be worth a few bucks!

Hey just kidding about the gripe - I'm grateful Archie agreed to do mine. He didn't charge me for getting in the way or being his constant companion for the week. He also did not charge me for all of the guys time - hey they were a lernin too!

DrCPU

I will buy you a cheese burger if we ever get a chance to meet!
I am greatfull for the video and for the help from you and Archie on my car.

[This message has been edited by whodeanie (edited 10-20-2008).]

hluk87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-16-2008 06:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hluk87GTSend a Private Message to hluk87GTDirect Link to This Post
I've always been interested in vertical/lambo doors, but does any know for sure if they are street legal in the state of NJ? My Fiero is not a show car, but a daily driver. Would suck if they had to come off after putting out the $$.
caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-20-2008 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DrCPU:

DrCPU

A cheeseburger it is... maybe even a beer or 12... I think we all know how lucky we are...
topcat

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post10-21-2008 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for topcatSend a Private Message to topcatDirect Link to This Post
Archie, you have a PM... I am interested. I am not sure how I missed this thread
caseyret

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2008 07:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for caseyretSend a Private Message to caseyretDirect Link to This Post
Any updates Archie
whodeanie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by caseyret:

Any updates Archie

I second that!
Archie have you gotten the hindges yet?
I have sent another potential buyer your way. I hope it works out.
Keep us posted!

Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2008 02:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by whodeanie:
I second that!
Archie have you gotten the hindges yet?
I have sent another potential buyer your way. I hope it works out.
Keep us posted!

I was out of town since Friday afternoon.

However, I called them while I was on the road & they said they'd be here Tuesday or Wednesday of this week.

Archie
Archie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2008 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ArchieClick Here to visit Archie's HomePageSend a Private Message to ArchieDirect Link to This Post
I got the tracking numbers earlier today & found that the donor hinges will be in tomorrow.

Archie
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 5 pages long:  1   2   3   4   5 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock