Started on: 02-27-2008 02:46 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 05-08-2011 01:54 AM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post02-27-2008 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Wanted to add another chapter to my 3800 swap thread, feel free to add on what you did for coolant hookups on your 3800 swap

i wanted to post earlier but I was a bit confused as what your confused about.

The water pump, has 2 inlets, one big and 1 small. The motor has 2 outlets, one big with a thermostat on the LIM, and a smaller one on the LIM.

The heater core circulates water the entire time the motor is running, without influence from the thermostat. I have a picture of the outlet here, which will be used in some form on all swaps no matter what the year. Loyde makes a outlet for the heater core over on the thermostat housing, but insures that it is separate from the thermostat function. Here is a loyde thermostat housing, which honestly is the best solution out there if your handy with a welder.

This images is larger than 153600 bytes. Click to view.

I used the stock "elbow" and held it in with a bent piece of scrap that holds it in place.

As far as the return for the heater core goes, I tie in to the large input on the passenger side, 87/88's do this for you, and on the previous years I welded together a little fitting that emulates the way its done on the 87/88 style.

I leave the community to post up some more pictures of their main coolant hoses, as I dont really have any real information on that. So far, I have just peiced together coolant hose pieces from different spare parts, but I know that most 4cyl driver side hoses fit most swap situations.

------------------
Losing sight of our roots in the cathode rays.

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-12-2008 07:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
James bond 007 got this hose for the passenger side and he said its a near perfect fit.

So I just got back from Autozone and found the 3800 Sc series II,passenger side hose.One end is slightley bigger than the other,so one end will fit the water pump and the other end will fit the coolant pipe,with out struggleing.Here is the part number for future refrence.
Autozone #022067 L-251 $12.99 (Receipt has this number).

Autozone #61172 L-251 $12.99 (sticker on hose,has this number).

Both numbers are for the same hose.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-13-2008 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
And now for the pic...
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Could you guys post up some other "main" coolant line part numbers you used?
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 07:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
Anyone have a Car-Quest number for that hose? There isn't any Auto Zones up here. Or NAPA would work too.

[This message has been edited by Fiero Owner (edited 06-24-2008).]

Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2008 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
A quick search on Google I found that that hose is for an early 80's 305 Camaro?
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Owner:

Anyone have a Car-Quest number for that hose? There isn't any Auto Zones up here. Or NAPA would work too.

call your local auto parts store and ask them to cross refrence either of the Autozone part numbers above and they should come up with their part number or call autozone and have them lookup the part number and ask what vehicle these hoses are for.But make sure you ask questions,like is this for a v6 or v8 (3.8 or 5.0L?).That will help locate the correct part at your local parts store

Autozone L-251 $12.99 Passenger side coolant hose

Autozone XL-1023 $14.99 Drivers Side Coolant Hose

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 06-26-2008).]

Matthew_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Matthew_FieroSend a Private Message to Matthew_FieroDirect Link to This Post
how can I cap off that plastic elbow? I would like to use fitting below the elbow instead.

Matthew
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post06-26-2008 05:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Matthew_Fiero:

how can I cap off that plastic elbow? I would like to use fitting below the elbow instead.

Matthew

Pull it out and use a freeze plug in its place.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2008 01:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I got a XL1052 today for the driver side, looks like it will work nicely and was like $7 cheaper than the 23 that was not in stock
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
I thought we had these figures in the thread, what are the diameters of the freeze plugs that you guys used to block off the heater core lines?
PFF
System Bot
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-30-2008 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
1inch for the lower, and smaller for the upper in the lim.

Got a XL1023 coolant hose today, was too big for the driver side... going back to the 1052 as and just twisting it a bit.
Fiero Owner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2008 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post
I got a XL-1023 today, looks like it should work pretty good, I ordered the L-251, it will be in tomorrow and I'll see how well that fits, hopefully just as good.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2008 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
A few more pics...
Autozone XL-1023 $14.99 Drivers Side Coolant Hose

Heater Core Hose (Left Of the Alternater).
GM Part Number:GM-10400424
Car Quest Part Number:
RBR 19110 (Gates Brand).

The Dog Bone Im working on.Sort of a pain to bend a 1\4 inch thick piece of aluminimum (I used a tree and a 24 inch adjustable wrench as a cheeter bar,to help me bend this sucker.It's not finished and needs an aluminimum tube on each end (I allready have the rubber bushings).The stock,coil pack bracket,looks like a good mounting point (it's hard to see in the pic).

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 07-15-2008).]

smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-05-2009 02:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
L-251 Did not work on the passenger side for an 88 formula. Fit the pump well, but was seemd to be bent the wrong way and didn't reach the coolant pipe.
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 02:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
Any body else have any info to contribute to this? I'm going to need hoses this week. Engines in and getting wired as we speak.

Thanks,
Chad

------------------

Intercooled SC3800 II/III mated to a Getrag. 19's with 13" Brakes on all 4 corners. 5 years in Avionics & 15 years in Car Electronics Experience.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I dont really.. I just end up piling together hunks from other swaps. Dont be afraid to cut a hose, and use a hunk of steel to rejoin them to get the correct orientation and whatnot.
James Bond 007

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
There was a little problem that I had run into,the drivers side hose,which was recomended by Loyde from Fast Fieros is too big on both ends,so I cut off a 4 or 5 inch section of the old Fiero hose and attached each piece,one to the coolant tube and the other to the thirmistat water neck then I wiggled the new hose right over the old (you will probuble will need a little grease or WD-40,to get the new hose over the old).I heard that the stock Fiero drivers hose will fit,but when I had baught that (not pictured),it was way too short.The passenger side fits well (no modifications),I did have to trim a bit off,on the low end,where it attaches to the coolant pipe at the very bottom of the car.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 05-26-2010).]

MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 10:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

Dont be afraid to cut a hose, and use a hunk of steel to rejoin them to get the correct orientation and whatnot.

LOL...That's exactly what I did on my series I SC swap back in '97. I was just hoping someone else had perfected it.

Thanks.
MstangsBware

Feedback score:    (108)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 459
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MstangsBwareSend a Private Message to MstangsBwareDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by James Bond 007:

There was a little problem that I had run into,the drivers side hose,which was recomended by Loyde from Fast Fieros is too big on both ends,so I cut off a 4 or 5 inch section of the old Fiero hose and attached each piece,one to the coolant tube and the other to the thirmistat water neck then I wiggled the new hose right over the old (you will probuble will need a little grease or WD-40,to get the new hose over the old).I heard that the stock Fiero drivers hose will fit,but when I had baught that (not pictured),it was way too short.The passenger side fits well (no modifications),I did have to trim a bit off,on the low end,where it attaches to the coolant pipe at the very bottom of the car.

This is the case on the hoses I found to fit well also. On both sides the ends are bigger than the tubes they slide on but once clamped down they do not leak. I have used them on several swaps with good luck and no issues. I would rather they fit nice and snug but being the curves are just right I will live with them not.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post05-08-2011 01:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
anything new on that drivers side hose?
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock