Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  A/C Heater Core Repair Procedure (Page 1)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 
Previous Page | Next Page
A/C Heater Core Repair Procedure by JazzMan
Started on: 11-28-2003 05:57 PM
Replies: 112
Last post by: RWDPLZ on 01-06-2012 09:37 PM
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2003 05:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Deleted per Cliffw's request.

[This message has been edited by JazzMan (edited 11-22-2011).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2003 06:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-28-2003 06:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

JazzMan

18612 posts
Member since Mar 2003

Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
Great write up! If this doesn't earn a + I don't know what does.
avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I connected the lower hose to the heater core then slowly filled the heater core with coolant, before connecting the upper hose, to let air bubbles out. I didn't have to burp the system after doing this,
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 09:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Great write up. I'd give you a "+" but you I already have you one. I wish I had seen this a month or so ago when I was changing my heater core.

The hardest part is getting those heater core hoses off. What I did was to get some metal clothes hangers and bend the ends to form little hooks then pull the hoses off.

DustoneGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2003 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DustoneGTSend a Private Message to DustoneGTDirect Link to This Post
How is this procedure different between an A/C car and a non-A/C car?
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post11-29-2003 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Jersey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2003 07:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JerseySend a Private Message to JerseyDirect Link to This Post
Wouldn't a link to this and other useful threads like the headliner one be helpfull or is search enough?
USFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 109
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for USFieroSend a Private Message to USFieroDirect Link to This Post
Excellent! Now, can anyone tell me how to identify the difference in the heater cores themselves? (AC vs non-AC)

------------------
John DuRette
Black 85 SE, undergoing work as we speak!

ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2004 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
AC cores have longer tubes.
Don
PFF
System Bot
Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 03:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
I got excited when I saw the subject say "repair"...but you really mean replace..
Does anyone know of any ways to have the leek repaired? The local parts store
wants 85 bucks for the new part...
ka4nkf

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 148
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 04:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ka4nkfSend a Private Message to ka4nkfDirect Link to This Post
Any Radiator repair shop can repair the core, but proably would charge close to the price of a new one.
Don
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-06-2004 06:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jersey:

Wouldn't a link to this and other useful threads like the headliner one be helpfull or is search enough?

I thought the same thing.

Hey Cliff, could you create a section that posts of this type could go in?

Call it "How To" or something similar.

After the author is done with the thread and any tweaking it needed from him/her and other forum members it would go there for easy access.

Jazzman, a + for you for the great thread, one question though, it's been a while since I did a heater core replacement, but, isn't there a retaining strap at each end of the core?

I can't remeber for sure.

------------------

Where will the road take you today?

SC Coupe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SC CoupeSend a Private Message to SC CoupeDirect Link to This Post
Seanpaul
$49.98 at Advanceautoparts.com

Larry

Phil

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 06:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PhilSend a Private Message to PhilDirect Link to This Post
Fiero Store is also $49.95
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
GREAT WRITE UP JAZZMAN! I know it takes a long time to write all that stuff up and post the pics and know we all appreciate it. Got a + from me.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd

If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

sanderson

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2004 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sandersonDirect Link to This Post
Hmm, Two months I did the heater core in my 88GT with A/C and I did not have to remove the speaker. So I guess either that top screw is not there on an 88 or the previous ownner also did a heater core and left the screw out.
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-10-2004 01:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

jeffndebrus

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2004 01:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jeffndebrusSend a Private Message to jeffndebrusDirect Link to This Post
AUTOZONE'S WEBSITE SELLS THEM FOR $29.--i JUST BOUGHT ONE A FEW WEEKS AGO. tHEIR STORE SELLS THEM FOR $49--NO ONE KNOWS WHY THE PRICE DIFFERENCE BUT i SUGGEST YOU ORDER ONE OFF THE WEBSITE. sHIPPING WAS ANOTHER $6.

SMILE

Fiero~Spataro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero~SpataroSend a Private Message to Fiero~SpataroDirect Link to This Post
My heater cover looks different and does not seem to come out the same way. ive been fighting with it for hours and i cant get it off
heres a pic:

is it just me or does this look different then the pics above? any thoughts that can help me out?

------------------

*click to see my Fiero site*

[This message has been edited by Fiero~Spataro (edited 04-07-2004).]

PFF
System Bot
Rodrv6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
Yours is different because you don't have air conditioning. The cover you need to remove is in the trunk. It is somewhat large and is held on with a half dozen or so screws.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT

avengador1

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
By trunk, I think he means up front where the spare tire is.
NotAFieroAnyLonger

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 255
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 07:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NotAFieroAnyLongerSend a Private Message to NotAFieroAnyLongerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JazzMan:

. Being Texan, I've never seen a Fiero that didn't have A/C..

I have 2-75 AC on SmoothGT.. Now you have!!

As USUAL.. great thread from the Jazzman!

Steve

------------------
aka."SmoothGT"
Custom Built W I D E B O D Y ~ GT!! One of One!!
3.4DOHC/5speed swap coming soon..(gathering part's now!)

silver86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2004 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for silver86seSend a Private Message to silver86seDirect Link to This Post
.........+++++++++++++++++++++..............cool as usual............
maryjane

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 441
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2004 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for maryjaneSend a Private Message to maryjaneDirect Link to This Post
Did your heater core have a foam pad with 2 holes in it, to slide over the tubes prior to installation? Mine does, but you can never tell whether it ends up in the right place or not. I think it ends up getting pushed up the tubes, toward the core and is of little use in that position, IMO.

[This message has been edited by maryjane (edited 04-08-2004).]

Fiero~Spataro

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-14-2004 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero~SpataroSend a Private Message to Fiero~SpataroDirect Link to This Post
Well since i am replacing my heater core with non A/C, i figured id add a little to this write up

1. as jazzman said, you will be taking the core out from the front compartment. follow the same procedures he did above to clamp the hoses
*no need to take out the windshield fluid resevoir in non a/c procedure*

2. unscrew the bolts around the heater cover, i think theres about 6 or seven

3. Take off the hoses from the core (fight with it, it will take some prying and force)

4. unscrew the one bolt that hold in the metal bracket, which holds the core in place.

then just pull it out and reverse the procedure!
good luck!

------------------

*click to see my Fiero site*

[This message has been edited by Fiero~Spataro (edited 04-14-2004).]

FieroRumor

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 348
Rate this member

Report this Post07-03-2004 02:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRumorClick Here to visit FieroRumor's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRumorDirect Link to This Post
bump

For those of you who haven't seen this!
These types of threads are GREAT!!!!!

------------------

spearce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-16-2004 02:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for spearceClick Here to visit spearce's HomePageSend a Private Message to spearceDirect Link to This Post
I'm glad i found this thread. I smell coolant.

Steve

fierokit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 06:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierokitSend a Private Message to fierokitDirect Link to This Post
WEEE!!! Theres coolant everywhere on the floor ... I'm gona have fun fun fun replacing it, NOT .... thanks for the thread, it'll help a lot

+ + + + rating!!!

hajii

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-27-2004 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hajiiSend a Private Message to hajiiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Seanpaul:

I got excited when I saw the subject say "repair"...but you really mean replace..
Does anyone know of any ways to have the leek repaired? The local parts store
wants 85 bucks for the new part...

It depends on where the leak is...If it's on one of the tubes, you probably could repair it with a propane torch & some silver solder, just like sealing a pipe when you're doing plumbing...

------------------
85 SE 2m4 resurrected

PFF
System Bot
87FieroGTx

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2004 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87FieroGTxClick Here to visit 87FieroGTx's HomePageSend a Private Message to 87FieroGTxDirect Link to This Post
jscott1

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 415
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jscott1Send a Private Message to jscott1Direct Link to This Post
Great to see the non-A/C procedure has been added, but like Jazz Man I have never seen a Fiero without A/C.

------------------

1988 GT (Firebird Interior),1988 Fastback (Chop-top), 1984 Indy...and the rest Firebird Interior Installation Website

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post09-05-2004 03:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jscott1:

...but like Jazz Man I have never seen a Fiero without A/C.

Come to Canada.

Puck

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2004 06:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PuckClick Here to visit Puck's HomePageSend a Private Message to PuckDirect Link to This Post
Great write up jazzman i memorized it and went out in front of my condo and got to work

from start to stop took me about 35 minutes just because 2 of the heater core cover panel bolts were hard to get to being as how they are very top and the other one is jammed next to the insulation by the tire hump

A++++++++++ and all i did to find this was a search in pennock and BOOM i was under way

$49.95 + tax at auto zone with a lifetime warranty

Adam

Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2004 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Jazzman, I just replaced my thermostat to correct a low temp problem, and now I have a faint smell of coolant.

Was my next project, This will save me some time figuring it out.....

DR

88GT

RossT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 54
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 04:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RossTClick Here to visit RossT's HomePageSend a Private Message to RossTDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for great article Jazzmann and spataro , I just did my non air canadian 88gt. Picked up the heater core from rockauto.com for abot $31. Hardest part was getting the hoses off the old core without damaging them.

[This message has been edited by RossT (edited 12-30-2004).]

mattm

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2004 09:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattmSend a Private Message to mattmDirect Link to This Post
+ for both of you for the writeup.

Thanks, Matt

shredd

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2005 12:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for shreddSend a Private Message to shreddDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know for certain that the 88's had or did'nt have the top screw holding the core in place.
"The one you need to remove the speaker to get to"
JazzMan

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-09-2005 12:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post

Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 3 pages long:  1   2   3 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock