performance duke camshaft? by 2.5
Started on: 01-03-2011 08:08 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: 2.5 on 01-04-2011 02:05 PM

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero store sells this, how much power do you think it is good for? Would other things need to be adjusted in order to run it?

"85-88 4cyl PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT
This performance camshaft has been custom ground specifically for the 85-88 4cyl roller camshaft engine. It offers increased valve lift and duration over the stock unit. These cam profiles were selected to provide maximum power while still remaining compatible with the stock GM electronics. Engines will breathe better, which greatly increases horsepower output. Lift - .483, Duration - 268 with a 112 lobe separation.
Part # 52891 Price: $219.95"
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
joshh44

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
i emailed them how much hp gain you would get with that cam. they told me if i remember was about 10 or so more hp.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2011 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
If you put one of those on your duke, you may also want to put on some BBC roller rockers. I'm putting some on mine. I've read that the reduction in friction from going to slider rockers to full roller rockers lowers your oil temperature by 10 degrees. And BBC rockers fit the duke perfectly. You just have to drill and tap your rocker stud mounts to accept the BBC studs.
Search for "BBC roller rockers" on Ebay to see what I mean.
Of course, you'll also have to put on a bigger valve cover. The SD4 valve cover is perfect.
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 12:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by TopNotch:

If you put one of those on your duke, you may also want to put on some BBC roller rockers. I'm putting some on mine. I've read that the reduction in friction from going to slider rockers to full roller rockers lowers your oil temperature by 10 degrees. And BBC rockers fit the duke perfectly. You just have to drill and tap your rocker stud mounts to accept the BBC studs.
Search for "BBC roller rockers" on Ebay to see what I mean.
Of course, you'll also have to put on a bigger valve cover. The SD4 valve cover is perfect.

You mean like mine? Its under the aftermarket Holley valve cover, is it any higher? I don't think so... I have 1.73 ratio Herbert BBC rockers.
and a cam I think may be the same or similar one as to what T.F.S. sells. IDK I have never heard this car run...

armos

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for armosSend a Private Message to armosDirect Link to This Post
I had one of these on my 84 auto (Federal Mogul "sealed power" cam with new lifters, bought from Fiero Store). The 84 is a flat tappet cam, numbers are a bit different than the 85-88, but probably similar. I don't remember the duration, but I think the lift was .490 intake, .516 exhaust.
I should first point out that my engine wasn't in the best shape - it had low compression on a cylinder and blowby oil in the throttle body. So my experience might be colored by the condition my engine was in. The reason the cam got changed is because my timing gear stripped apart so the old one had to come out anyway. We took a shortcut, didn't rebuild the engine which it really needed.
I never measured the power change but I don't think it was anything dramatic. I did notice it definitely changes where you're getting the power, as you'd expect.

Before the cam, the engine definitely liked lower revs and lost power at high rpms. I had times where I'd floor it and cause the trans (auto) to downshift to high revs, and instead of pulling me back in my seat, it would actually push me forward. Apparently it had more power at ~2500rpm than it did at ~4500.
After the cam, that didn't happen anymore. It hits it's stride at about 3000rpm, below that point I think it's weaker than stock. It pulls to the 5000rpm redline without losing power, unlike the stock cam. However, like mentioned above my engine needed a rebuild, it's possible that if it were in better shape the low revs would have been better. Mysteriously, I would occasionally get a stronger than normal takeoff with this engine. This tended to happen when the engine was also loping a bit. Once the idle smoothed out, power also decreased. This made me wonder if the ECM was fighting the cam somehow.
Overall I was happy with it, and I'd use it again.
It would be interesting to match up with other upgrades to improve flow, but I never did anything else to it. Unfortunately the holley TBI, intake etc aren't really available anymore. Upgrading to later model cylinder head/intake might be possible but that's a can of worms.
KurtAKX

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 01:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KurtAKXSend a Private Message to KurtAKXDirect Link to This Post
Here's a lower than stock idle on a bigger than Fierostore cam.

This is with an aftermarket EFI setup with the idle dialed in at 720, but not yet tuned, so it'll get much healthier. Can't tune yet because I haven't finished the exhaust and the O2 is too close to the end of the currently open header to accurately measure.

Here's the cam specs:

I wouldn't worry about roller rockers so much, but you will need an adjustable valvetrain to accommodate for a reground cam's smaller base circle, and stiffer valve springs to handle the more extreme valve motion. These are Comp 981s which can handle up to .500" lift, provided you get the installed height just right (1.710 according to COMP)

Here's some reading...
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/113301.html

Here's a little about the engine...
http://s892.photobucket.com...20Rebuild/?start=all

[This message has been edited by KurtAKX (edited 01-04-2011).]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 184
Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 02:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2.5Send a Private Message to 2.5Direct Link to This Post
Don't 85 dukes and up come with rollers?

edit* oh thats roller lifters...

[This message has been edited by 2.5 (edited 01-04-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock