frame upgrade for convertible by jasonfox
Started on: 12-31-2010 02:34 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: jasonfox on 01-01-2011 06:58 PM
jasonfox

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2010 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
I have access to a boat crane, welder, plasma cutting torch, air tools, lots of free time and money, and a friend who works for beer (j/k on that part.)

What needs to be done to a fiero frame to support converting a notch-back into a convertible and not just a roadster.

[This message has been edited by jasonfox (edited 12-31-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 02:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Here's a good way to search.

I put in 'convertible frame" and selected all forums and then also the entire thread. Looks like there are some good threads in there of others who have already done what you are asking.

http://www.fierosearch.com/...rame&Action=DoSearch
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 02:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Interestingly you get the same amount of results when you spell convertible correctly

http://www.fierosearch.com/...rame&Action=DoSearch
jasonfox

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2010 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
already tried that, didn't get a good description from what I read of what I was looking for
Doc John

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doc JohnSend a Private Message to Doc JohnDirect Link to This Post
Frame reinforcement for targa tops:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/106719.html

jasonfox

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2010 03:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Doc John:

Frame reinforcement for targa tops:

//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/106719.html

Lol, thank youa ll for your superior searching abilities. I searched for an hour and didn't see these.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 257
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
There really isn't any difference with the reinforcement when building a Roadster vs. Convertible aside from ensuring whatever you do does not get in the way of the top.

Here are a couple of threads with some good pics:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000048.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/039369.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000055.html
//www.fiero.nl/forum/A...100421-1-074290.html

My first one was a bolt on deal that spanned from the rear cradle bolt to the front sway bar attachment points. It did have a 2x2 "X" brace from corner to corner as well... worked very well, but weighed 200 lbs and I lost 2" of ground clearance:

Russ Fiero was making one as well and connected the front/rear frame rails and added quite a bit of tube:

The last one I helped build used 2x3x1/8" tube to make a "C" section to reinforce the door openings and some tube, angle and sheet was used to make the tranny tunnel a structural member to resist the torsional forces. Very little ground clearance was lost with this setup (less than 1/2"). The plate is bolt on so the fuel tank can be removed:

jasonfox

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-31-2010 05:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
Awesome!!! You are the best, thank you.
17Car

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 17CarSend a Private Message to 17CarDirect Link to This Post
If you haven't read about it already, search or P.M. V8 Archie about the conversions he does. I believe he uses reinforcement on the fiero frame itself instead of a separate bracing structure.
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2010 07:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
You used to could buy this frame (picture below), from a Fiero convertible conversion company. Perhaps you could make one.

[This message has been edited by TopNotch (edited 12-31-2010).]

jasonfox

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post01-01-2011 06:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jasonfoxSend a Private Message to jasonfoxDirect Link to This Post
Definitely gave me the info I needed, thank you all. I've given myself a year long timeline to make this car into what I want and now I know how to plan the budget more properly.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock