4.9 what to grab? by BlackFieroz
Started on: 12-25-2010 11:17 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: stickpony on 12-29-2010 11:44 PM
BlackFieroz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 11:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlackFierozSend a Private Message to BlackFierozDirect Link to This Post
Do i need or should i grab any motor mounts from the donor car? of a 4.9 Cadillac? I think i only need to make 2 mounts if i remember correct.

What about the fuel pump? Would it work in the fiero tank?

[This message has been edited by BlackFieroz (edited 12-25-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post12-25-2010 11:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Just get all the wiring, computer, all engine/trans related items including mounts if you are fabbing your own, and the emblems to stick on after you swap into your fiero!

The mounts can be made out of angle iron and some off the shelf parts.
You can use the air snorkel also and mod it to fit the fiero box.

I parted out a caddy awhile back and got some cool items to use later.
Power antenna
tail lights
all the little stuff that i might need.
nuts and bolts, etc.

I don't think the fuel pump is needed. I'm running a stock GT in mine. No problems.

------------------
88 GT "The Stray" 4.9L
86 GT 2.8L 4 speed
07 Solstice GXP 2.0L turbo
08 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Dually.
05 Tahoe on 20's (Kid hauler)

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
i'm sure i could fly a plane no problem.

[This message has been edited by Carver1 (edited 12-25-2010).]

zx9rc2

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 12:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for zx9rc2Send a Private Message to zx9rc2Direct Link to This Post
i'd grab the vats module and the key if you can. depending on how your bypassing vats you may need it. on my caddy (94 deville) it's mounted in the back seat craw in the trunk pull the backing off its a little black box with an 16 pin connector with only 8 wires all small gauge.
Niterrorz

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NiterrorzSend a Private Message to NiterrorzDirect Link to This Post
ya when i ripped apart my cadi i took the engine, tranny (even tho i was doing a manual swap), comp, wiring, motor mounts(even tho i bought WCF mount and will fab my other one), as for the bypass im gonna have stick pony reprgram mine cus he deletes error codes with it to.
Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-26-2010 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
Dont forget the Oil lines and Oil Cooler. They designed the motor to have one so I trust their R&D. I installed it on my last 4.9 swap and will be installing it with this one as well.

------------------

Found a 88 formula Waiting to get a fence so I can re-home it
There are Two kinds of Fiero's : Notchies and Donors!

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post12-27-2010 11:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Grab everything you can. Its better to have left over parts then not enough. It also saves a few bucks over multiple trips to get the things you forgot. Deffinately need this stuff...

-Engine. Obviously.
-Trans. If going auto only, minus axels. Grab all wiring for it also.
-All accessories (AC, cruise, alternator, starter. Can leave power steering pump/tensioner.)
-PCM - make sure to grab PCM not BCM. PCM = 3 connector, BCM = 2 connector and looks just like a fiero ECM.
-Engine harness. From sensors to PCM.
-Oil cooler lines (grab an assortment from multiple cars if possible)
-Grab a tach wire connector from another vehicle with HEI ignition and a tach. Caddy's never had one so you have to look elsewhere. In a pinch a second coil power wire from a caddy will work after slight modification.
-Exhaust fittings. Manifold and expecially the center outlet pipe. These are hard to find aftermarket so grab the originals if possible.
-Misc vac line in good condition and extra wire loom. For the loom the factory GM stuff is much more heat resistant then aftermarket. Grab more then you think you need.
-Save all nuts and bolts. You'll need them.
-Engine mounting brackets. Rubber mounts not necissary unless you want to modify the cradle to use them.

(optional)
-Auto dim mirror + wiring. Its a good time to grab one if you want it. These Caddy's almost always have one.
-Interior/exterior temp sensors, delayed accessory relay, sun load sensor, factory power lock remote receiver, ect. Lots of little goodies in these cars.
-Deville strut tower brace. Works well for an engine TQ bar. It's 1" square stock with mounting brackets.
-Extra front valve cover ("V8 PFI" cast into it). Makes install slightly easier. Provides clearance for decklid hinge without needing to trim it.

92-93 4.9 Deville fuel pumps are the same part number as 88 2.8 fiero. 85-87 2.8 pumps also work fine. 94-95 caddy are different and wont fit without tank modification (not recommended but possible). If your converting from a duke you'll need a new pump. I wouldn't trust one from a wrecking yard but you can if you want.

If going manual attempt to find an Allante starter. It will make the install much easier and is a better starter in general.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 12-27-2010).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BlackFieroz:

Do i need or should i grab any motor mounts from the donor car? of a 4.9 Cadillac? I think i only need to make 2 mounts if i remember correct.

What about the fuel pump? Would it work in the fiero tank?

you have a PM..
Jackdaniels

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post12-29-2010 06:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JackdanielsSend a Private Message to JackdanielsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:

you have a PM..

Let me know if you ever get a reply.....just a hunch.

[This message has been edited by Jackdaniels (edited 12-29-2010).]

stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jackdaniels:

Let me know if you ever get a reply.....just a hunch.

meaning what, he doesn't read PMs?
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-29-2010 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

stickpony

1187 posts
Member since Jan 2008

Originally posted by Kento:

Dont forget the Oil lines and Oil Cooler. They designed the motor to have one so I trust their R&D. I installed it on my last 4.9 swap and will be installing it with this one as well.

Amen and a halleluah to that brother....oil coolers rule

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock