Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  distributor..A1 cardone or Conventional..

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

distributor..A1 cardone or Conventional.. by gmctyphoon1992
Started on: 12-12-2010 10:55 PM
Replies: 31
Last post by: gmctyphoon1992 on 12-24-2010 10:34 PM
gmctyphoon1992

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
i have a 1988 pontiac fiero gt...etc etc.. i need a new distributor and i have a couple options open... i can do the original looking ocolet distributor from fierostore.com for $169 + $50 core charge or i can go get the A1 cardone distributor for $115.. are the A1 Cardones nice or do they have problems.. i know the design up top is different but would it be worth it to just get the same distributor on fierostore for the extra money or not? any suggestions..
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sricka01

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sricka01Send a Private Message to sricka01Direct Link to This Post
Go with Cardone...updated star pattern and it includes an ignition module. Installed one and it's been good.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 11:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
Rebuild the original with AC Delco pickup coil, and have a parts store test the ignition module a few times in a row to get it nice and hot, if it's still good, put new thermal paste on it and reuse it.

Cardone VS Fiero Store, if the price difference is THAT big, I'd go Cardone. Would NOT trust their module, though.

I've done 3 now, it's EASY!

[This message has been edited by RWDPLZ (edited 12-12-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post
I've been using a Cardone distributer for a couple years. It has worked perfectly for me. The ignition module that came with it is a no-name brand, but did not fail. I kept a spare in the trunk, anyway.

I just recently switched to DIS, so all my distributer-related parts are now unneeded. If you want any of it, drop me a PM and I'll hook you up.
donuteater306

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 02:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for donuteater306Send a Private Message to donuteater306Direct Link to This Post
I went with the Cardone distributor a few months ago too but i used a Delco module. I am happy with this distributor. Other aftermarket units that I examined had a very weak magnet. I could spin the shaft by hand and not feel much if any magnetic pull. Also, things didnt line up very well. The Cardone just seemed to be built well.
Old Lar

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I put in a cardone in my 88 GT from AutoZone. I had a junk one for a core. I kept the one it replaced in my extra parts box, along with a new distributor, modual and wires. The ignition components do wear out and I was starting to have issues with those components.
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
What’s wrong with what you have?
Mine was rusted up pretty badly from sitting for years but rebuilt it following that video (above) I pulled it, turned it upside down and filled the shaft with carb cleaner as it wouldn’t turn. I let it sit overnight and then with a little work it freed up. Then pulled apart, cleaned off all the rust (1000 grit on shaft) replaced the PU coil, reassembled with new cap and rotor and it works great. Cost was minimal for PU coil.
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 10:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
I have a similar problem with rust but mines pretty bad since its the original distributor... but my module is going and the PU coil is shot completely (thats probably the reason along with the tach filter for the irradic tach ).. the magnet doesnt seem to be holding up to well either...i pretty sure this is from my distributor also but i have white residue on my points which means it is running lean but i smell gas heavily from the exhaust which means it would be running rich so really can figure out what the problem is there...i bet i have bad sensors all over the place and leaks in my vacumn lines.. i really need to just look up all the codes i am getting but i dont have that thing yet so im waiting for that....... i figure instead of spending alot of time replacing almost all the parts on the distributor i might as well just by a new one... its too bad that MSD doesnt make their own distributor for the fiero it would make hooking up the MSD ignition box so much easier... also i heard good things about the A1 Cardone on their star shaped points.. apparently its supposed to burn better..
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post

gmctyphoon1992

693 posts
Member since Jun 2010
RWDPLZ, i might actually rebuild my old one and still buy the new one.. keep the old one as a spare.. good suggestion though if i had more time i would do it your way... and thanks for the video its very helpful since im mostly a visual learner lol....

i would drop a pm blacktree but i think i am going to go brand new on this one.. thanks though

and DLCLK87GT that is the funniest avatar i have ever seen lmao!

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 12-13-2010).]

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

Mine was rusted up pretty badly...

Was it as bad as mine?

I cleaned it up. Works fine!
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Patrick:

Was it as bad as mine?

I cleaned it up. Works fine!

If you zoom out on that picture,

PFF
System Bot
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RWDPLZ:

If you zoom out on that picture...

Yes, I've got to be honest. That distributor wasn't from out of my GT, it was actually brought up from the Titanic.

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

That's funny, because the Titanic was the first thing I thought of when I saw that too...

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post

if you zoom out ahahaha...
well it is definitely not as bad as that picture.. but cleaning it up isnt the only thing wrong with it... the magnetic pole seems weak..also i keep taking the rust off it and making it clean and nice it keeps coming back and getting worse..... idk i think the day i take it out ill just clean it up real well and see how the car runs.. if it still gives me problems ill buy a new one and use that one as a spare..

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 12-14-2010).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The rust won't make it not work. That's my guess as to why GM left it like that.

I do have a secret on keeping it from rusting again.

I'd go with Sun Yellow for the 'shock effect' when someone later opens up the distributor.
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
really the gloss yellow wont mess up the connectivity between the points..?
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-14-2010 11:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post

gmctyphoon1992

693 posts
Member since Jun 2010
would i be able to use a rustoleum paint.. as a substitute..

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 12-14-2010).]

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 04:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Well yeah but only if it's a cool color.

Yellow would be cool. Def not a lime green however.

I've got an excellent idea.A darker green for the steel parts that don't move and maybe a yellow-gold color for the steel shaft/steel rotor parts?

Good color combo eh?
Patrick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 03:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

I've got an excellent idea. A darker green for the steel parts that don't move and maybe a yellow-gold color for the steel shaft/steel rotor parts?

And of course... a clear distributor cap.

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
well if i owned a john deer fiero that would be cool...
hypo327

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-15-2010 11:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hypo327Send a Private Message to hypo327Direct Link to This Post
I bought my 86 GT almost three years ago, and the first thing I did was replace that cheap, rusty distributor. I think those old stock ones did come off the Titanic ;-) LOL! Just one look tells you how superior the whole distributor design and construction is. I thought the same thing about the cheap module, but it has performed perfectly for me also...that's with about 20K miles on it. My son put a Cardone on his '65 GT before I did, and his was running strong after about 30K miles...until he fell asleep at the wheel and totaled it. Totally wiped out the car, but the engine was still running great! Maybe because it had a Cardone...do you think? ;-) It did take the G-forces of a sudden stop from 60mph!

[This message has been edited by hypo327 (edited 12-16-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Rolling Thunder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
I've worked at O'Reilly's for 18 months and I don't remember ever having to warranty a Cardone distributor. Besides, with a lifetime warranty, it's a good deal. Just make sure the guy at the counter takes down your phone number so you don't have to hold onto the receipt.
Danny

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DannySend a Private Message to DannyDirect Link to This Post
Referring to the post above...

If you paint it red it will add horsepower and be faster...
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by gmctyphoon1992:

really the gloss yellow wont mess up the connectivity between the points..?

We don't have points. Those metal fingers are magnetized and are not supposed to touch. If you get the inner dist shaft nice and lubed so it spins freely you can feel the magnetic pull between the fingers as the shaft spins.
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
thats what i meant the fingers.. i know their not supposed to touch but i was wondering if it would intrude on the connectivity.. it was a joke anyways im not gonna paint my distributor internals yellow..lol

[This message has been edited by gmctyphoon1992 (edited 12-16-2010).]

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-16-2010 10:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post

gmctyphoon1992

693 posts
Member since Jun 2010
yeah red adds horsepower i forgot about that...

life time warranty points me more in the direction of the cardone..
Hudini

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2010 12:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post
Lol, I'm sorry. You never know if someone is serious or knows this thing or that thing.

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2010 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
its all good... its better to point stuff like that out than not to cause you never know when someone has got it wrong...
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 02:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
After

Before

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 12-24-2010).]

gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
even though this was a joke before i now sit and wonder......... i wonder if you could paint the fingers so they dont rust again but not have any problems from painting them... i bet it could work because i dont think paint would make metal loose magnetitivity any thoughts on that?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
The parts on my distributor are clear coated. Not I haven't installed it in an engine but yeah it will work just fine.

The only plact that it could make a difference is the grounding of the ICM. I don't thing the ICM actally gets much of a ground from the distributor but yeah. Since the ICM is screwed to the dist base any paint there should be displaced by the screw threads.

I am still planning on painting my reluctor and rotor some nice Green and Gold color scheme.

Carb cleaner on the aluminum. Wire brush on the rotor. Wire brush and then acid on the stator.

New pick up coil. I de-pinned one wire out of the connector to get the twist into the lead wires and the put the pin back in. I did it to make it look nicer, but also it keeps the wires out of the cap flange area.

Oh and after I had things pretty clean anyways, I put the shaft and body in the dishwasher to get them really nice and clean. Did I say I live alone?

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 12-24-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
gmctyphoon1992

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-24-2010 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gmctyphoon1992Send a Private Message to gmctyphoon1992Direct Link to This Post
ok that make sense.. i thought they were really shiny...cool thanks ill be sure pick up on those hints.....when i get around to it ill post pics of progress on it

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock