Started on: 12-10-2010 08:37 PM
Replies: 22
Last post by: Jefrysuko on 01-10-2011 10:26 PM
Lambo nut

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 262
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Just curious if anyone with a V8 Chevy/manual Archie kit has tried this adapter, and maybe has a picture or two. It looks like is should clear no problem, and I like the way both lines are able to hook up to the adapter, and not one of them going to the side of the engine. I tried doing some searching here on this product, but came up empty. I'm about ready to pull the trigger on this thing, but looking for confirmed usage.

Here it is on their web site, and Summit has them listed for $69.95
http://www.cantonracingprod...dd=action&key=22-592

Thanks in advance.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 12-10-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
If your not afraid to spend that kind of money for a remote oil filter adapter maybe one of these would fit the bill.

http://www.hylube.com/products/msrkit.htm
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2010 10:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
I did see that one during my searches, but there is a pretty big difference between 70 bucks and 280......

Kevin
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 08:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
Almost any oil filter relocation kit will fit with the Zumalt kit, but the Archie kits have less room. On my Archie kit, I used a similar one from transdapt, but it had to spin on so I have to shave some materail on it so it would be tight in the proper orientation (not an issue with the one above). Once it was in place, I had to clearance it, the starter body and the starter mount flange for everything to fit together. My biggest concern with the canton one would be if the bolt head that attaches it would clear the starter... probably could go to an allen head and counter sink it a little.

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 10:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info fieroguru! I emailed Archie last night and the nut was his concern too. I also emailed Canton last night, and asked for the measurement of how much the unit protrudes from the block including the nut, and if they did not have that, the height of the unit including the nut. I'm not expecting an answer until Monday so I'll wait and see what they say, unless someone chimes in that they have already used it. I hope it will work, because it looks like a nice piece.

Thanks,
Kevin
cyrus888

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-11-2010 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cyrus888Send a Private Message to cyrus888Direct Link to This Post
I used this on my V8 conversion. I had to cut some portion of it directly opposite the tube fitting to clear the Starter mounting block. Note: the engine/tranny adapter plate is NOT Archie's, but is similar, so I don't know if you will have to make clearance for your starter block.

See the archived thread (last photo): https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...070315-2-077659.html
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info cyrus888, but it is hard to tell if what you have there would work with Archie's set up or not. I'm guessing the thickness of the fittings, and a little more is about all the room there is to work with. What you have set up is the look I was going for though, both fittings in the adapter and using AN fittings etc. I will see what Canton has to say as to the dimensions, and I saw Moroso has a similar unit, that takes AN o-ring fittings. I emailed them also for dimensions. I will post what I do eventually find out.

Thanks,
Kevin
Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
If it spins on in place of the oil filter than I think you will not have enough room for it and the starter. The bolt in adapter is very tight and the ideal use is to block off the one port and use the one in the block right above the oil filter.
The adapter I have bolts in place of the spin on adapter so it will be tighter to the block then a spin on adapter.
fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 02:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I had to do some digging, but here is a better pic of the clearance issues in the starter area. Notice my oil filter bypass has the ports offset to the bellhousing side vs. centered about the oil filter. This helped to position the adapter in the slight recess in the started as it necked down. It also required a good 1/4" of clearance work to the starter mount flange. You can also see that if the ports exited parallel to the starter, they would not clear the starter body...

That area is very tight on an Archie kit. The Zumalt kit with its smaller ring gear and nissan starter allows alittle more room for the oil filter bypass, but it is still tight. The 4.3's (smaller oil filter base than the SBC) with the Zumalt kit can use the stock 4x4 S10 oil filter bypass piece.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 12-12-2010).]

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-12-2010 03:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

Jake_Dragon, I was pretty sure the spin-ons would be trouble, but I did see fieroguru's pictrue above earlier in another thread. That is tight! I do have the adapter that Archie recomends in my possesion, but was just looking at other options. I like what cyrus888 did, and was trying to see if I could do that with what is available today. If I can't no big deal, I just like the challenge.

The two I am looking at now are both a bolt on, they just bolt on to the original spin on adapter in the block and seal against the block in the same place as the spin on adapters or the oil filter would. Now I am hoping that the pieces are machined in a fashion that the holes for the fittings are closere to the block so that they might clear the starter. So far I only have pictures to go by that I can find on the net with no real specs, but it looks like the Canton unit would do as I am thinking at least some. If the base fits up in the block just slightly then the fittings look like they would be held higher then fieroguru's picture above. The actual picture and the drawing doesn't exactly match, so there again, I am only speculating.

http://www.cantonracingprod...90DegreeRotating.pdf

Here the Moroso one looks like it might be even better.....but again, not the best picture angle, or any numbers to use yet.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...-Black-/330503471203

I need to get my lazy butt back outside and mock things up again to take measurements so I will be ready if I get some good info back from the two companies. Then I'll need to order something if it looks like it might work and see what happens.

fieroguru I was going to give you a + but it won't let me give you a second one........

Kevin
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 10:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Got an answer back from Canton this morning. The total height from the top of the nut to the bottom of the gasket is 1 3/4 inches. Something to work with.
Still waiting to here from Moroso.

Kevin
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-13-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
is there a oil filter relocation kit for the 3800s?
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2011 11:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Any developments on this? Just curious.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
What timing!
I just got things the way I wanted yesterday, and a friend of mine is cleaning up my hack marks on the starter base at his shop sometime today. I got the Canton adapter to work, but would just not quite fit without rotating the starter just a little farther then the fourth hole that was there. More details later.
Turns out the Moroso unit and another Trans-dapt piece I got from Summit were not even for the older 350's but the newer ones. Could not tell this until I ordered all three units and had them in my possesion. Moroso never did get back to me after three emails, and a phone call that got put on hold, then finally answering machine. I hung up.
I will have full details/story and pictures hopefully in the next few days when I get all my ducks in a row. I won't leave you hangin

Kevin
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Lambo nut:

I won't leave you hangin

fieroguru

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-05-2011 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

I got the Canton adapter to work, but would just not quite fit without rotating the starter just a little farther then the fourth hole that was there. More details later.

Kevin

That jogged my memory... on my SBC setup I drilled/tapped another set of holes so the starter could be properly "clocked" to maximize clearance.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
OK Here we go. I want to start with saying I was not trying to reinvent the wheel as I know Archie’s system has worked fine for so long. I just saw this new product, and wondered if it could be used in our 350 mods. Archie’s main concern was with the nut possibly getting in the way, and he was right. If the nut were half as thick, it might go on just fine, but I did not have a way to accomplish this, so I went the route of repositioning the starter. Oh and before anyone ask I made the chip in the side of the starter to base plate mounting bolt hole you see in a few of the pictures. It was a stupid mistake, but it is fine, and will not affect the strength of that hole.
The Canton Racing adapter 22-592 will work, but it is not a direct bolt on. The other products I looked at will not work on the older 350’s, as they are for the newer SBC models.That would be the Moroso 23683 and the Trans adapt 1420. The Summit website was not clear to me as to exactly what they fit, and I could not get an answer from Moroso or Summit, so I just ordered all three units I looked at and went from there.

This is what I ended up with, and I’ll show you how I got there. Please excuse some of the crappy pictures. A photographer I am not.

This is how far the starter is now rotated to clear the Canton adapter

As you can see, the adapter clears Archie’s starter block on the adapter plate with room to spare.

Here is a closer look at the clearance between the starter and adapters mounting nut.

I knew I was going to need a different way to remove/replace the starter then Archie intended, so I had to clearance the transmission housing so I could get to the top bolt holding the starter block to the adapter.This took about a minute with an aluminum burr on a die grinder.

I had to drill two new mounting holes for the starter to mount to the base(s). One was in Archie’s block adapter as seen here. I also drilled two 1/8 inch alignment holes in this block which will continue partly into the adapter plate itself. Once everything is together, a couple of 1/8 inch drill bits will get things back where they go.

The hole in the upper left is one original hole I used. The marked one is the new one needed in the starter base to remount. It was then tapped for 1/4 28 threads.
You can also see in this picture, I trimmed both the bottom and the top of the starter base to clear the cradle at the botom and the Canton adapter at the top. I just removed an amount to get to the bottom of the first hole from each end.

The starter base would not set even with Archie’s block adapter and creates a small step between the two.

I used a small stainless steel washer to remedy this. I would snug the bolts down enough to make sure things were coming together before tighten them down too far so as not to put anything in a bind.

The Canton unit is well made machined out of a piece of aluminum. It has o rings for the attaching bolt at the head and in the area near the block. It also has a groove for the main seal to set in allowing it to stay in place and not push out which looks like could be a problem with the original Trans adapt piece in the next pictures.

The next couple of pictures are just show off pictures. Enjoy.

If anything does not make sence, let me know I will try to explain the best I can.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 01-08-2011).]

katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post01-08-2011 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Nice work Kevin - Thanks for sharing!

Pat

Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the input Pat.

I have been watching your thread in the Construction Zone, (although I just found it recently) and noticed a few similarities between some of our work. I did pretty much the same as you did for my trunk mod on my Lambo kit to make room for the true duel 2.5 inch exhaust I just had to have. I like the idea too where yours has the roll pins in the block adapter for the starter to provide a positive positioning when remounting. I like that better then my drill bits everytime I would need to remove/install idea. I'm paying attention to your water pump progress too. I have a block mount electric pump, and was thinking of going remote now. Keep it up!

And a thanks to Archie for providing the info he does!

Kevin
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the detailed info. With as many people who have problems with the Trans-Dapt unit leaking I will probably try the Canton one as well.

I can't tell for sure by your pictures but can the Canton unit be rotated so that the fittings point directly away from the Engine? It looks to me as if one of the fittings would probably hit the Archie starter block.
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2011 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
As it sets, the way I have it you can not turn the adapter straight out to 90 degrees as it would hit the starter block. You might get about 45 degrees if that. I will try to get a picture or two for you later, to see how far it actually does go before hitting the starter block, which I'm sure could be clearanced to allow for a little more rotation if a guy wanted to.You won't get 90 degrees though because then you would have to deal with the top starter block bolt too. I did not go that far, as I was planning on going the same route as Archie to get sweeping loops from the adapter to the filter mount using straight AN fittings and braided line.

Kevin

[This message has been edited by Lambo nut (edited 01-10-2011).]

PFF
System Bot
Lambo nut

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 03:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Lambo nutSend a Private Message to Lambo nutDirect Link to This Post
Well I just went out and checked. The side of the adapter where it is flat and transitions to the curved area in the rear is where it will hit first, not quite giving you 45 gebrees rotation. You could remove some of the starter block at that point, but the bolt will get in the way before you go too far. Now if a guy wanted to redrill the top hole in the starter block to recess the bolt some you might get closer to 90, but I was not going there. One of those situations where anything is possible I guess, just how much work would you want to do to get there?

Kevin
Jefrysuko

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post

Well I just went out and checked.

Thanks for the additional info. I figured that was the case, still looks like a really good option.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock