Duke high idle on startup?? by Fiero Master
Started on: 11-27-2010 09:05 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: FirstDrCar on 11-29-2010 12:11 PM
Fiero Master

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero MasterSend a Private Message to Fiero MasterDirect Link to This Post
My 84 I just put together runs at a very high RPM on startup. Maybe 2000 or less. Is this normal or is my TPS going to **** . Thanks.

------------------
87 GT Fastback soon to be 3800 S/C Powered!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
It will run at a rather high RPM for around 15-20 seconds or so. The IAC is open at startup and starts closing upon warmup. The TPS does not control your idle, it only senses how much throttle is being applied.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post11-27-2010 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Check your vac lines.. Fortunatley for you there not as much of a maze as the V6 lines. you would be surprised how high one lose hose will shoot your idol.
86FieroSEv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 12:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroSEv6Send a Private Message to 86FieroSEv6Direct Link to This Post
Also, don't forget to check your engine coolant temp sensor. I have found the connector and sometimes the sensor to be a big cause of 2.5 startup and idle issues. Make sure the harness grounds to the engine are clean and tight as well.
phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
If your engine idles correctly when warm (900 RPM) you don't have a vacuum leak and you don't have a problem with your IAC.
86FieroSEv6

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86FieroSEv6Send a Private Message to 86FieroSEv6Direct Link to This Post
Hmmmmmmm, maybe. I have seen some IAC's jam up when cold and then start to move as they warm up from the circuit heat. Mostly due to carbon buildup and wear.
Joe 1320

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joe 1320Click Here to visit Joe 1320's HomePageSend a Private Message to Joe 1320Direct Link to This Post
Mine idles high also on a cold start. Always has. Warm start idle is right where it should be.
FirstDrCar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Check your vac lines.. Fortunatley for you there not as much of a maze as the V6 lines. you would be surprised how high one lose hose will shoot your idol.

Seriously... mine has a few that are in the process of being replaced.

On cold start, mine idles up to 2500

Originally posted by 86FieroSEv6:

Also, don't forget to check your engine coolant temp sensor. I have found the connector and sometimes the sensor to be a big cause of 2.5 startup and idle issues. Make sure the harness grounds to the engine are clean and tight as well.

Maybe that is it....

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock