Hidden Antenna? by FirstDrCar
Started on: 11-17-2010 01:26 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: kellisor20 on 11-20-2010 03:14 AM
FirstDrCar

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...0467087413&viewitem=

Would this actually work on an 84 SE?

Has anyone installed something like this on their Fiero?

Thanks
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Scottzilla79

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Scottzilla79Send a Private Message to Scottzilla79Direct Link to This Post
I was just looking at that, I'm not ready to do body work on my car though.
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Scottzilla79:

I was just looking at that, I'm not ready to do body work on my car though.

Hardly seems like body work though
DLCLK87GT

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DLCLK87GTSend a Private Message to DLCLK87GTDirect Link to This Post
i've seen where people just attach the antenna to the metal body under the fender/over teh wheel and fill the hole. They claim no difference in reception. I plan on doing this but will also add a antenna amplifier that you can get at radio shack for cheep.
that's sort of the same idea....only different. And what's the point in a hidden antenna and then adding that plug..yuck.

[This message has been edited by DLCLK87GT (edited 11-17-2010).]

FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DLCLK87GT:

i've seen where people just attach the antenna to the metal body under the fender/over teh wheel and fill the hole. They claim no difference in reception. I plan on doing this but will also add a antenna amplifier that you can get at radio shack for cheep.
that's sort of the same idea....only different. And what's the point in a hidden antenna and then adding that plug..yuck.

What do you fill in the hole with if you choose to not use the antenna delete?
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Search under body work/ painting and you will find lots of threads on filling the hole. You can also search for antenna as there are also lots of threads on replacing one. On mine, I used the rear window defogger grid for an antenna and it worked just fine. Those threads cover the how tos including how I did mine.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 03:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I just ran wire from antenna mount...
New windshield is easy, has new trim, but I stuff it in gutter too.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 08:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
I am running an internal window mount antenna mounted to my back window. It hooks up to a 12V accessory connection, and is about 10" long and 1" wide. It seems to do a fairly decent job.
jaybeezi

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 11:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaybeeziSend a Private Message to jaybeeziDirect Link to This Post
I used one in an 84 SE years ago, worked fine.
hnthomps

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 10:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for hnthompsSend a Private Message to hnthompsDirect Link to This Post
I have used a "hidden" antenna on the front windshield and had mixed results. FM was good but AM was less than desirable (if you actually wanted to listen to AM). Mounting the stock antenna under the inner fender and closing the antenna hole worked the best. I have three cars done this way and am quite happy with all of them.

Nelson
FirstDrCar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirstDrCarSend a Private Message to FirstDrCarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hnthomps:

I have used a "hidden" antenna on the front windshield and had mixed results. FM was good but AM was less than desirable (if you actually wanted to listen to AM). Mounting the stock antenna under the inner fender and closing the antenna hole worked the best. I have three cars done this way and am quite happy with all of them.

Nelson

That seems to be the consensus and I will probably do that.
PFF
System Bot
cone shark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-18-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cone sharkSend a Private Message to cone sharkDirect Link to This Post
My hidden antenna happened by accident. The old whip kept loosening, so one day I added a drop of medium thread lock. Later I decided to remove the antenna to paint it and the mounting stud twisted off. I unscrewed the mounting bracket and simply soldered a wire to the coax center conductor and positioned the wire around the fender arc where the fender and liner meet. This kept the wire away from the space frame. I think signal strength is down slightly but I'm satisfied with the reception. The car looks much cleaner without the whip. But what to do with the hole?

I found some black nylon plugs at the hardware store. The plugs have little stepped ears that insure a tight fit over a range material thickness. The plug has a textured surface and the edges feather down nicely. It matched the black & silver colors of the '87 coupe.

[This message has been edited by cone shark (edited 11-18-2010).]

gtxbullet

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 12:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gtxbulletSend a Private Message to gtxbulletDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cone shark:

My hidden antenna happened by accident. The old whip kept loosening, so one day I added a drop of medium thread lock. Later I decided to remove the antenna to paint it and the mounting stud twisted off. I unscrewed the mounting bracket and simply soldered a wire to the coax center conductor and positioned the wire around the fender arc where the fender and liner meet. This kept the wire away from the space frame. I think signal strength is down slightly but I'm satisfied with the reception. The car looks much cleaner without the whip. But what to do with the hole?

I found some black nylon plugs at the hardware store. The plugs have little stepped ears that insure a tight fit over a range material thickness. The plug has a textured surface and the edges feather down nicely. It matched the black & silver colors of the '87 coupe.

where exactly did you get that plug? how much was it?

say...is that a Toranado I see? the second I saw the long fender with the flare on it, it popped into my head
cone shark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 08:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cone sharkSend a Private Message to cone sharkDirect Link to This Post
You can find the part at any hardware store that carries a good selection of the Hillman Hardware assortment trays.
I stopped at an Ace Hardware tonight and they did have them. About $0.40
Here's a couple of links:

http://wedo.hillmangroup.co...ts-assortments/98087
http://wedo.hillmangroup.co...ts-assortments/98088

The second link has a much better picture than my blurry close-up.

Yes that is a 1966 Toro. That spot has been its home for 44 years. My father bought it new. I'm pretty sure that it was my first ride at the ripe old age of 3 days. I'm absolutely sure my sister and I spent many many hours baking in the sun under that nearly horizontal rear window during summer trips (no A/C).

[This message has been edited by cone shark (edited 11-19-2010).]

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post11-19-2010 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
My antenna is pretty hidden whenever I park next to an SUV.
kellisor20

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-20-2010 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kellisor20Send a Private Message to kellisor20Direct Link to This Post
I have a similar "hidden antenna". mine works just fine. Oh and thats a nice toronado in the background of that pic. My brother has a nice 67 with the 425 rocket in it and it will haul. Funny fact about these two cars is that the Toronado has 385hp and the Fiero 135hp yet both have a zero to sixty in 7.5 seconds claimed. That is referring to the 2.8 Fiero. Both get heads turned all the same though. :P

------------------
86 2.8 gt

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock