Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Adapting an 84 harness to work with 86 engine/transmission (pics)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Adapting an 84 harness to work with 86 engine/transmission (pics) by pontiackid86
Started on: 09-28-2010 05:42 PM
Replies: 24
Last post by: pontiackid86 on 09-30-2010 02:06 AM
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
Ok So today in operation IMSA I have started to replace the 86 harness that came with my new engine to an 84 harness. All the important things match up but there is a few small odds i have to mop up before I can procede.

Below are pics of various conectors and wires that dont seem to fit the connection's on the engine.

Ok 1st up is these 2 wires. One is a red wire with a blackish grey connector at the end. The other is a black wire with a white connector at the end. These wires are located down near the transmission area. The car it came out of was an 84 4 speed. I am resinstalling this motor with an 86 isuzu 5 speed. What do i need to do with these wires and are they to the transmission?

Nex up is what i beleave to be the fan control switch. The pic of the switch was taken off the engine that came with the car. i noticed the fiero store sell's a fan switch that looks like it would fit this plug? Should i just go with that?

Nuext up is 2 wires down by the ignition system/distributer. One is a black wire with a loop at the end of it but dosent look stock (ground?)
The other is a brown wire thar looks like it was cut before me pulling it. What are these 2 wires and what should i do with them.

Thanks in advance guys.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
mattwa

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 05:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mattwaSend a Private Message to mattwaDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about the last set of wires, but on the first set, I do know those do not go to the transmission, they go to something else. Most likely something with the distributor, since 84 distributors were different from 85-86 distributors. They could be in conjunction with the last set of wires, maybe the coil? I don't know as much about the Iron duke as others, sorry.

[This message has been edited by mattwa (edited 09-28-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by mattwa:

I don't know about the last set of wires, but on the first set, I do know those do not go to the transmission, they go to something else. Most likely something with the distributor, since 84 distributors were different from 85-86 distributors. They could be in conjunction with the last set of wires, maybe the coil? I don't know as much about the Iron duke as others, sorry.

I dunno. they dont reach to ther distribbutor area. they exit out of the loom right next to the connector to the speedo gear on the transmission.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

pontiackid86

19632 posts
Member since Sep 2008
So you guys can scratch the question on the fan switch. i figured it out myself. Went to autozone and orderd the part i need..... and what do you know. cheaper than the fiero store.
Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

So you guys can scratch the question on the fan switch. i figured it out myself. Went to autozone and orderd the part i need..... and what do you know. cheaper than the fiero store.

You have to watch the fan switches. There are two different kinds, all of the '84s and the '85-'86 2.5s with A/C had a two speed fan switch setup. Convert that fan switch to the single pole fan switch like your '87. Rodney sells the conversion kit on his website, or if you have a single wire fan switch harness, you can cut it off and wire it to the high speed wire. My wife's is already converted, and Angelica's will be as well.

Speaking of which, my daughter's is an '84 4-speed. If you ever want to come down and jot down some notes off it, or if you want me to take pictures of anything, let me know. I will try to trace those other wires for you tomorrow and find out where they go.

[This message has been edited by Hulki U. My-BFF (edited 09-28-2010).]

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

You have to watch the fan switches. There are two different kinds, all of the '84s and the '85-'86 2.5s with A/C had a two speed fan switch setup. Convert that fan switch to the single pole fan switch like your '87. Rodney sells the conversion kit on his website, or if you have a single wire fan switch harness, you can cut it off and wire it to the high speed wire. My wife's is already converted, and Angelica's will be as well.

Speaking of which, my daughter's is an '84 4-speed. If you ever want to come down and jot down some notes off it, or if you want me to take pictures of anything, let me know. I will try to trace those other wires for you tomorrow and find out where they go.

If you could trace thoes wires for me and take some pics that would be awsome. mainley i need the one by the bistributor and the 2 near the transmission. Like i said... i could havce the thing running this weekend and ready for littiz.

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 08:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Wasn't there one on the dead engine?
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 08:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Wasn't there one on the dead engine?

Cant really go by that because the engine was just the block and pistons.. not to mention i think it was a 1985 block mated to an isuzu transmission, and the original harness was all cut up so i dont have a lot to work off of.

phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
green black - green white - Temp Gauge Sender?
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post

phonedawgz

17091 posts
Member since Dec 2009
Thick pink/red wire starter??
bubbajoexxx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 112
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:

Ok So today in operation IMSA I have started to replace the 86 harness that came with my new engine to an 84 harness. All the important things match up but there is a few small odds i have to mop up before I can procede.

Below are pics of various conectors and wires that dont seem to fit the connection's on the engine.

Ok 1st up is these 2 wires. One is a red wire with a blackish grey connector at the end. The other is a black wire with a white connector at the end. These wires are located down near the transmission area. The car it came out of was an 84 4 speed. I am resinstalling this motor with an 86 isuzu 5 speed. What do i need to do with these wires and are they to the transmission?

Nex up is what i beleave to be the fan control switch. The pic of the switch was taken off the engine that came with the car. i noticed the fiero store sell's a fan switch that looks like it would fit this plug? Should i just go with that?

Nuext up is 2 wires down by the ignition system/distributer. One is a black wire with a loop at the end of it but dosent look stock (ground?)
The other is a brown wire thar looks like it was cut before me pulling it. What are these 2 wires and what should i do with them.

Thanks in advance guys.

the 84 harness is a harness of its own and can not be replaced with the 85 86 harness as the pinout on the main plug dose not match up to the 84 it will plug in but the pin positions are differant and the wires have to relocated for it to work get the correct harness or you are in for a hole world of work to get it to work
PFF
System Bot
bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Thick pink/red wire starter??

pink wire grey plug is coil power and the black with white plug is tack
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

the 84 harness is a harness of its own and can not be replaced with the 85 86 harness as the pinout on the main plug dose not match up to the 84 it will plug in but the pin positions are differant and the wires have to relocated for it to work get the correct harness or you are in for a hole world of work to get it to work

Already looked into this... the engine i'm using is a 1986 the harness that i am using is a 1984 so it should work that way i could see if i was using the 86 harness but i'm not up for that much work.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 09-28-2010).]

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post
the blue plug with the green wires goes into the 84 head above the thermostat housing for the temp light and gauge

the black wire with white stripe is ground

the red wire and brown wire on the cardboard is alternater

[This message has been edited by bubbajoexxx (edited 09-28-2010).]

bubbajoexxx

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bubbajoexxxClick Here to visit bubbajoexxx's HomePageSend a Private Message to bubbajoexxxDirect Link to This Post

bubbajoexxx

1630 posts
Member since Aug 2003

Originally posted by bubbajoexxx:

the blue plug with the green wires goes into the 84 head above the thermostat housing for the temp light and gauge

the black wire with white stripe is ground

the red wire and brown wire on the cardboard is alternater

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
^ What he said. Now GET TO WORK!!!
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post
She'll be up and running this weekend... thanks guys.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 11:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
pk86... Email send

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 11:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

pk86... Email send

I'll call you tomorrow, I dont ever use the email i signed up on here with.. i dont even remember the password to it.

Hulki U. My-BFF

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 248
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hulki U. My-BFFSend a Private Message to Hulki U. My-BFFDirect Link to This Post
Rick, do you still need those pics now that others have let you know what the wires are? I still can do this for you after it stops raining next year.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 08:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Hulki U. My-BFF:

Rick, do you still need those pics now that others have let you know what the wires are? I still can do this for you after it stops raining next year.

lol sure i could still use them. thanks andy
PFF
System Bot
av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post
Save yourself many headaches and get the wiring diagrams for both the 84 and 86. Guessing what goes where can get frustrating and/or expensive. It's much easier to properly modify your harness if you have a diagram of both harnesses to look at right in front of you. I don't think you'll need to make too many changes, but some of the colors may have changed and the lengths/connectors may have to be changed. Also what year ecm are you going to use? Depending on which ecm you use will most likely change how you need to wire it. Get the diagrams, you'll have it up and running properly much sooner.

------------------
BLACKKER 1988 choptop v8

http://www.foxvalleyfieros.webs.com/

N.I.F.E. member #461
http://www.fierofocus.com/

pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by av8fiero:

Save yourself many headaches and get the wiring diagrams for both the 84 and 86. Guessing what goes where can get frustrating and/or expensive. It's much easier to properly modify your harness if you have a diagram of both harnesses to look at right in front of you. I don't think you'll need to make too many changes, but some of the colors may have changed and the lengths/connectors may have to be changed. Also what year ecm are you going to use? Depending on which ecm you use will most likely change how you need to wire it. Get the diagrams, you'll have it up and running properly much sooner.

I actuley have all the wiring ran. I'm using an 84 harness and completley did away with the 86 harness, In theroy it should run the same the harnesses are almost identical except for the fact that the 84's are on 2 sepret looms.
Also i'll be using the 84 computer so it shopuld all run the same.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 09-30-2010).]

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 12:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post
That engine is no where ready to be put into a imsa. it needs to be cleaned, painted and looking awesome. Clean the harness and then re loom the whole thing. When your done with that spend hours on the engine bay. Cmon man. Its a IMSA. Why not do a clean ass engine install when putting it in.
pontiackid86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2010 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by 87antuzzi:

That engine is no where ready to be put into a imsa. it needs to be cleaned, painted and looking awesome. Clean the harness and then re loom the whole thing. When your done with that spend hours on the engine bay. Cmon man. Its a IMSA. Why not do a clean ass engine install when putting it in.

Thats what i intend on doing. i'm not going to clean it majorley cuz 1 the engine bay is already spotless and 2 lol its an iron duke and it wont be in there to long.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock