Fiero Stock Performance Sound System by AL87
Started on: 09-28-2010 01:30 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: fieroluke on 10-03-2010 05:07 AM
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 01:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
I found a Fiero with the Stock performance sound system (still intact) at a local junkyard yesterday.
I didnt have the tools to start stripping it, so today I'll pay another visit.

I want the whole sound system so I have a few questions as to where a few things are, and what exactly I should pull off of it.

I know I should pull the head unit.
The Factory sub assembly.
The Sub control in the overhead interior light pod.
And the stock speakers.

The only things I need help locating are the factory amplifier, and the location/routing of any extra wiring harness where are they?

I want to try and leave it in as good a condition as possible because later I'll be pulling as much as I can off of it.

------------------
AL' Owner of:
88 Fiero I4
87 GT
86 SD4 Holley
85 Sport V6

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 01:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Got your Service Manuals? They are handy... http://www.fieronews.net/fusion/downloads.php

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-28-2010).]

dobey

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post09-28-2010 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post
You don't need to pull the head unit or standard speakers (unless you need them, and the ones in the car are in presumably good condition). If they're the original speakers, I wouldn't bother with them.

You'll need to pull the head unit out to be able to unplug the harness plug for the amp/sub/power/overhead console, though.
Dakota Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dakota FieroSend a Private Message to Dakota FieroDirect Link to This Post
Not to go off topic but, is the amp in these systems purely to run the sub, or the entire system?
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dakota Fiero:

Not to go off topic but, is the amp in these systems purely to run the sub, or the entire system?

Look at the diagram I posted earlier. Subwoofer Amplifier Assembly connects to subwoofer. Radio powers the other speakers.

Factory Service Manuals have wiring diagrams with wire colors like this. Did you download one?

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 09-28-2010).]

RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
If it still has the original pushbutton radio (no volume or tuning knobs, just buttons), then grab that too if you can get it cheap, it's worth marginally more than the other factory radios. Any original Fiero tape player will power the original sub setup just fine.
Carrolles

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CarrollesSend a Private Message to CarrollesDirect Link to This Post
I don't have capability to copy or send from here but the 88 Factory Service Manual (available for download as mentioned above) has diagrams of the entire system on pages 9A-8, 9A-9, 9A-10, and 9A-11. It should cover all years (86, 87, and 88) that the Performance Sound System was available.

With this you can see exactly what to pull and from where.

Hope this helps.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2010 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I just took this out of my car. You will need to remove the dash to take out the whole wiring harness that goes to the overhead control. There is a 7mm bolt that holds the harness to the fromt chassis. That harness plugs to the regular radio harness (like a Y connector) and goes to the amp, sub speaker and to overhead control. The wire that goe to the overhead runs across the rear dash to the side pillar and up. You may be able to do it with the dash in place but it is only 6 bolts and everything will be there in front of you. The sub amp is on the right (passenger) wall of the center console behind a plastic cover (more or less at the radio position on the side).
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
thanks, I have what I need, I found this all out at the junkyard, I paid about 75 for the entire sound system (sub, speakers, amp, head unit and harness)

What would be the price for this stuff If I wanted one of these at say... a fiero swap meet?

------------------
AL' Owner of:
88 Fiero I4
87 GT
86 SD4 Holley
85 Sport V6

av8fiero

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 10:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for av8fieroSend a Private Message to av8fieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

thanks, I have what I need, I found this all out at the junkyard, I paid about 75 for the entire sound system (sub, speakers, amp, head unit and harness)

What would be the price for this stuff If I wanted one of these at say... a fiero swap meet?

about double depending on condition

------------------
BLACKKER 1988 choptop v8

http://www.foxvalleyfieros.webs.com/

N.I.F.E. member #461
http://www.fierofocus.com/

RWDPLZ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 10:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

$100-$150
PFF
System Bot
AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2010 11:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
Thanks! I think I have a great find then! I just gotta wire it into my fiero now.

------------------
AL' Owner of:
88 Fiero I4
87 GT
86 SD4 Holley
85 Sport V6

AL87

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 12:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
what is the amp wattage exactly?
I see the sliding swich controlls how much power the amp send to the sub.

would there be such a replacement in the aftermarket world?

------------------
AL' Owner of:
88 Fiero I4
87 GT
86 Holley SD4
85 Fiero V6

fieroluke

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-03-2010 05:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierolukeClick Here to visit fieroluke's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierolukeDirect Link to This Post
The amp has a 20W IC (TDA2005 if anyone cares). The schematics are on my website, if you want to build a replica...

------------------
Visit my website: www.fieros.de for lots of technical and other Fiero related information
Maroon 87 GT daily driver with Firebird Body Control Module, Power Window Controllers and Dash mounted Scantool/Trip Computer

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock