Started on: 09-25-2010 03:06 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: tbone42 on 10-22-2010 04:03 PM
tbone42

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 128
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 03:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
The walls of the throttle body are dirty, scaly.. looks terrible. The injector is rusty under the wire plug. I am thinking I need to pull this off, clean it up, and reattach with new gaskets.
How do I go about doing the clean up? I do not want to damage anything (especially the once-shiney walls of the tb, do not want to damage..). Are there proper solvents or something I would use to clean it out? I looked for a new/rebuilt throttle body, but I am not sure anyone sells them anymore.

Also looks like the connectors that plug into the injector is a bit melted.. this car already has had a fire, albeit a small one.

84 Indy 2.5.

Thought this picture would be worth as many words..

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 09-25-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 03:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Carb cleaner dip.

http://www.amazon.com/B-9-P...GALLON/dp/B0002KKIIC

You take it apart and soak the parts and they come out looking great.

Well the aluminum ones that is. Not so sure about the steel, however that rusted nut I am sure you could find a substitue for.

[This message has been edited by phonedawgz (edited 09-25-2010).]

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 04:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
TBone I have a good t-body from an 85. It was running good when I removed it from a blown engine in 2007. It might be better to freshen up than a toasted one. $20.00 + shipping.
phonedawgz

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 04:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Does "The Raptor" come with the TB?
tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 04:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
Thanks josef- I will use that as my "backup plan".. I will try and clean it up first, mostly based on the "I have never done it before and want to learn how" principal. However, if it does not work, I will hit you up for that intake setup.
RWDPLZ

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 304
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 04:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RWDPLZClick Here to visit RWDPLZ's HomePageSend a Private Message to RWDPLZDirect Link to This Post
They're easy to rebuild, there's a kit made by GP sorensen, part # 96-617. I've rebuilt two now (one on car and one spare), makes a great difference in the feel of the car. Remove the IAC and TPS before you start. Use a can of carb cleaner, a toothbrush, a heavy wire brush, and a wire wheel on the end of a drill or bench grinder. Spray out all the vacuum lines, run a pipe cleaner through them, followed by compressed air.

Despite what the manual tells you, the fuel pressure regulator IS serviceable, and comes as part of the kit. Unless you're a girly-man and can't compress a spring and tighten a couple screws at the same time.

------------------

1984 Fiero SE

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by phonedawgz:

Does "The Raptor" come with the TB?

I am not sure what that is, I will have to go look and see!!
Nope, Raptor not included. Grandchildren would scream blood murder

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 09-25-2010).]

Bloozberry

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 311
Rate this member

Report this Post09-25-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BloozberrySend a Private Message to BloozberryDirect Link to This Post
I've always resorted to media blasting to clean up metal parts. Having a booth and a media recovery system is nice, but it's not necessary. Media blasting cleans parts very quickly and all you need is an air compressor, a $20 gun and a $10 bag of the right media for the job. (Oh, and a pair of goggles and a paper face mask). Some machine shops or body shops may even let you use their booth for a small fee. The media you use depends on the type of metal you're cleaning. For steel parts use either silica sand (cheap but not great for your health), or medium crushed glass ($10 for a 40 lb bag up here). For aluminum, there's lots of products like crushed walnut shells, baking powder, or glass beads to name a few, but I just buy a bag of fine crushed glass (looks like fine sand). As long as you don't direct the stream at any given place for too long, then you won't have any problems ruining the smooth finish on the inside diameter of the TB. Here's the before and after pics of my N* throttle body from my build thread to give you an idea what can be accomplished.

tbone42

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-22-2010 04:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tbone42Send a Private Message to tbone42Direct Link to This Post
[

[This message has been edited by tbone42 (edited 10-22-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock