85 2m4 to 3.1 swap by Sietetx
Started on: 09-20-2010 06:31 PM
Replies: 3
Last post by: kikinz24 on 09-21-2010 11:35 AM
Sietetx

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SietetxSend a Private Message to SietetxDirect Link to This Post
I have a 85 fiero and I am wanting to swap the 4 cylinder for a 3.1. What all do I have to do and what all do I need?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2010 10:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Sietetx:

I have a 85 fiero and I am wanting to swap the 4 cylinder for a 3.1. What all do I have to do and what all do I need?

Swapping a V6 into a 4cyl car is pretty much like doing a 3800 swap or any other kind of swap. Basically, the only thing going for you is that you don't have to fabricate anything... all the parts already exist... you just need to find them all and put it together. Your best bet is to actually buy a junkyard V6 car. Pretty much everything is different. The radiator I believe is different, the ECM, the rear cooling tube, the mounts, the engine wiring harness, the gauges (for the most part), and some other odds and ends like fuel lines, fuel pump, etc...

You're going to end up spending quite a lot of time.

HOWEVER... if you're willing to go with a carbureted 3.1 V6 (as long as it's a GEN-1 V6 like what's in the Fiero V6 already), you can easily get 200hp, and you don't have to worry about a computer. Then all you need are motor mounts and a fuel pressure regulator. Get the 3.1, and the Edelbrock intake (or the offenhauser if you can still find one) and then a 380cfm carburetor (is that right?) and go nuts...

I hear you can easily get 200hp from a carbureted 3.1/3.4 with the right cam.

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

phonedawgz

Feedback score:    (23)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 290
Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 03:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for phonedawgzClick Here to visit phonedawgz's HomePageSend a Private Message to phonedawgzDirect Link to This Post
Use a 2.8 engine harness and computer and its a plug in. It will work better than a carb setup. You do have to swap fuel pumps.
kikinz24

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2010 11:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
I'm using a fwd 3.1 in my swap right now. I'm keeping the fwd pulley setup so my s/c lines up easier. I relocated the alternator to a low mount setup everything is exactly the same as a 2.8 out of the fier except, knock sensor, oil pressure sensor location and crank sensor. If you plan to run the 3.1 topend (heads plenum and intake manifolds you have to changed a few plugs off the harness they're different from the stock fiero ones. I'm using the iron heads and fiero intake on my 3.1 so majority is plug and play. My hardest part so far is I'm going to be swapping a 7730 ecu.and adding dis. And have to repin my harness.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock