88 GT Coil-Over Spring Rates and KYBs by Brastic
Started on: 07-27-2010 06:56 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Blacktree on 07-30-2010 12:11 PM
Brastic

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 06:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I installed the coil overs in the back of my 88 GT with KYBs. On my stock GT, I went with the 350lb springs per the recommendation of WCF. The car drove fine with the stock struts, but now bounces too much. It took me a little while to figure out that I have either two blown struts or I have springs stiffer than the KYBs can handle. My gut is on overloading the struts. When I go over a bump now, the car bounces to much. It really feels like the struts are blown. I know that the stock springs are between 100-140lbs/in and that 350lb/in is too much. Does anyone know how stiff you can run the KYBs before they get over loaded? (And yes, I should have listened to everyone and gotten Konis)
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
KYB GR2?
I never had a problem with KYB GR2 and 350# rear springs.
Even with 450# front springs in the front, the KYB Gas-A-Justs worked great.
I was even was considering going to a stiffer front spring.

But if all you do is drive on the street 350 might be a bit stiff.
You'd have a harsher ride. I never felt bouncey with mine. Harsh? Yes. But I like it.

What brand are the springs?

Were you careful not to heat up the shock when you ground off the perches?
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 07:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
When I finally get my coil-overs done for my 1988 I plan to use these:

http://www.pitstopusa.com/detail.aspx?ID=3484

I couldn't handle 300 or 350 lb/in on the street.
hawkins04

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-27-2010 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hawkins04Send a Private Message to hawkins04Direct Link to This Post
it is probably the struts. they are not blown but the kybs are bouncy struts. hints the nickname Keep You Bouncing
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 12:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I have the KYB GR2s from the Fiero Store. With the stock springs the car did not bounce at all. I will see if I can get ahold of some softer coil over springs and test them out. I know that the right thing to do is to save up and get some Koni's.
nosrac

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 51
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for nosracSend a Private Message to nosracDirect Link to This Post
Do you have 8", 10", or 12" springs? The longer springs yield better performance.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I have the KYB and WCF 350# 8" springs in the rear. Have never really noticed any bounce. I used to get the bounce in the front back when I was using the ST springs. Went up to a 400# front spring and the bounce went away.

I don't really care for the GR2 rear struts either. They've always seemed a bit soft to me. But I love the gas-a-just front shocks. They are great for my street use. The roads are decent here so the higher spring rates work well in my case.

If I were to order new springs I would probably order QA1's from summitracing.com. They make a great spring for coilovers. Just wish they had something for the front...

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 07-30-2010).]

Blacktree

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 350
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2010 12:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BlacktreeClick Here to visit Blacktree's HomePageSend a Private Message to BlacktreeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Brastic: I know that the stock springs are between 100-140lbs/in and that 350lb/in is too much. Does anyone know how stiff you can run the KYBs before they get over loaded?

FYI, the stock rear springs were rated around 200-230 lb/in, depending on year and sub-model. You mentioned that your stock struts seemed better than the KYB's? This raises a red flag. Because the KYB struts are stiffer than stock. They should be less bouncy, but will probably be more jouncy (instead of the car body bouncing up & down relative to the wheels, the entire car gets jounced, because the suspension is so stiff).

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock