Started on: 07-21-2010 09:51 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: stickpony on 07-22-2010 10:06 PM
lou_dias

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
I used the search feature and found no answer.

I recall reading on 4.9 rebuilds that LS1 lifters could be used to make the 4.9 safer to rev past 4500 rpm. Is this so? Are they drop-in replacements?

Thanks,
Lou
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 09:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
May have found my own answer in the chart on this page:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymot...Item&item=8022922385
stickpony

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 10:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by lou_dias:

I used the search feature and found no answer.

I recall reading on 4.9 rebuilds that LS1 lifters could be used to make the 4.9 safer to rev past 4500 rpm. Is this so? Are they drop-in replacements?

Thanks,
Lou

that would be LS1 springs, not lifters.. the stock 4.9L lifters are roller lifters already, no need to change them out..do not only add LS1 springs, you have to lower the spring seat as well to prevent coil bind. this however dynamically changes the characteristic of the spring too since it isn't as "loaded" when the valve is closed. the stock 4.9L can safely rev to 5500 rpm, it just doesn't generate much power past 4500. if you want to shift the power band north a little and get good power to 5500 rpm, get the drop-in delta camshaft, in addition to longer pushrods, LS1 springs, and get headwork done too.. the port and polish on the heads and intake is what REALLY wakes this motor up the best...it is all documented in rick stewart's thread:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/061613.html
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 11:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post
To me, SBC springs and LS1 springs should represent 2 different animals unless they are infact the same part.

I'm having a head gasket job done. I don't intend to spend money on the heads, I just was curious what lifters to get. The heads only have about 58k on them.

If the springs are good to 5500, then that's ok to me. I do have an Allante intake on it. I don't need/want to rev it past 5200 anyway.

[This message has been edited by lou_dias (edited 07-21-2010).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
Mine revs easily to 5500 using the stock springs. I believe it will rev to 6k without valvetrain mods. 5500 is a "safe" limit but not the max.

There are aftermarket performance lifters out there for this engine. They don't do much except help reduce friction some. Maybe worth a couple pony's at best. Problem is they make the engine noisier. Summit has them if your interested.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

To me, SBC springs and LS1 springs should represent 2 different animals unless they are infact the same part.

I'm having a head gasket job done. I don't intend to spend money on the heads, I just was curious what lifters to get. The heads only have about 58k on them.

If the springs are good to 5500, then that's ok to me. I do have an Allante intake on it. I don't need/want to rev it past 5200 anyway.

while it is out, you might as well pnp the heads, it is well worth the money on the 4.9L, even without a cam shange..it really wakes up this engine in particular, just ask PBJ...

and yeah, SBC sprinsg are different than the LS1 springs.. the LS1 springs will have a behive shape
lou_dias

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 12:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lou_diasSend a Private Message to lou_diasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stickpony:
while it is out, you might as well pnp the heads, it is well worth the money on the 4.9L, even without a cam shange..it really wakes up this engine in particular, just ask PBJ...

and yeah, SBC sprinsg are different than the LS1 springs.. the LS1 springs will have a behive shape

If I was doing a full rebuild, then I would. I just want this thing running again.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 10:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

If I was doing a full rebuild, then I would. I just want this thing running again.

then stock springs will be fine... at least replace the cam while you are at it... easy install...goes along with replacing the lifters

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock