Started on: 07-20-2010 08:50 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Rickady88GT on 07-22-2010 07:45 PM
sspeedstreet

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 08:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
This isn't my idea; credit goes to Rickady88GT. I finally had a chance to drive my car yesterday and this mod is exactly what I was looking for.

I took two coils off a set of 1986 GT front springs with a 4.5" cut-off wheel (cut slowly and cool often) and installed. That's it. It lowered the front to just a slight nose down attitude and upped the spring rate around 20%. Nothing you can feel short of hitting a pothole. I installed a set of heim joint sway bar links at the same time so it's hard to say how much the springs did for cornering, but it turns on rails now.

I paid $30 for the springs and the time to do the mod. I'm a happy guy!

Neil

------------------
1988 GT, 5-speed, white, beechwood leather, 3.4 DOHC crate motor with Getrag 5-speed. 6-speed installation is next.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
michfiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for michfieroSend a Private Message to michfieroDirect Link to This Post
Hey Speed....

Do you have any details like how much of a drop? My apologies but I am not familiar with your ride...what year did you do the mod on? Any inssues to share re: the installation?

Thanks!
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 09:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
On a dead stock 1988 GT. I've always hated the nose up stance of the stock '88s. I would say it dropped it about 1.5".

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2010 09:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
This swap works very well, but it has been around several years.:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-066636.html
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2010 10:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

This swap works very well, but it has been around several years.:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/A...060206-2-066636.html

Thanks for adding that link. Rick never claimed to be the first to do it, he just recommended the mod to me.

[This message has been edited by sspeedstreet (edited 07-21-2010).]

teleotti_GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 06:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for teleotti_GTClick Here to visit teleotti_GT's HomePageSend a Private Message to teleotti_GTDirect Link to This Post
and what is the difference between this version and the cut of the original 88 springs?

EDIT: ok, the link above said all

[This message has been edited by teleotti_GT (edited 07-22-2010).]

sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by teleotti_GT:

and what is the difference between this version and the cut of the original 88 springs?

EDIT: OK, the link above said all

This does give you a little more rate vs. cutting the '88s, as the link describes. I was going cut my stock springs but Rick said he'd installed two or three sets and every one continued to sag. Due to age, I guess.
Erik

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 168
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 05:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ErikSend a Private Message to ErikDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't want more rate than cutting a coil off the 88 springs unless you like a harsh ride
sspeedstreet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sspeedstreetSend a Private Message to sspeedstreetDirect Link to This Post
Believe me, I don't want a harsh ride! It's firm but nothing that draws your attention. The rear is where over springing gets painful. I can't imagine what 350 #/in feels like.
Rickady88GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 202
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rickady88GTSend a Private Message to Rickady88GTDirect Link to This Post
Glad it worked out for you. Now do the 88 front springs in the rear No permanent mods and is easy to revers IF for some reason you don't like it.
I gota see that car

I LOVE the spring swap and wish I could remember who I got the idea from, BUT to who ever it was THANKS.

[This message has been edited by Rickady88GT (edited 07-22-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock