ROUND Leather Auto Shift Knob - Install by Fiero-in-Paradise
Started on: 07-18-2010 11:48 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: Fieroseverywhere on 07-19-2010 11:00 AM
Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2010 11:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
This is a continuation of my thread that I had in the General section, same title. I'm "moving" it to the Tech Section since I installed it today and have pics and install info to share.

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/080157.html

Okay, with the IROC shift knob, you have a wierd release button to deal with. It has two spring steel prongs sticking out of the bottom, and I had to devise a way to keep it in place with the rod.

So starting with 1/4" round alum stock, I taped off the amount that needed to be filed off. Its a rather long amount, since it actually goes well into the release button.

The next picture below shows the area of the rod that I had to file off. Comes out to just about 1/8". You can see how the prongs on the release button can now slide over it.

But not so fast! Those two prongs have an indentation in them, so when I tried to slide it on the rod, it just spread open.

So I then had to measure carefully and used a drill bit (by hand) to make shallow indentations in the aluminum rod.

With the indentation made on both sides:

I can now slip the release button onto the rod.

Here is a picture of the finished rod, it measures 6 3/4" long, and I tapered the bottom. (In actuality, however, I did not know exactly how long to cut the rod, so I waited until later in the install process.)

Okay, so here's a picture of the old leather knob. Not all that bad, but as I mentioned, I was looking for a unique look for my Mera. (I searched PFF, and did not find anyone that had installed a round leather AUTO shift knob.)

So the next step was to cut 1/4" off the shaft. I probably filed off another 1/16", but the key here is to go slow, and to file just the minimum amount required to allow the release button to work properly. If you cut off too much, then the button will sit too deep into the knob.

Here is a look into the round leather knob. You can see the single metal tab that sticks out, to match the cutout (keyway) of the shaft.

Next step was to use the Dremel and cut a groove around the shaft. This new groove will be used for the circular spring clip.

Test fitting of the spring clip. (I'll probably go back later and make the groove a little deeper.)

Okay, round leather knob is on, and now installing the circular clip. Once it gets onto the shaft, you can use two small screwdrivers to jam it down into place.

I decided to put shrink tubing onto the rod for two reasons. One, the 1/4" rod is slightly smaller than the plastic "adult toy" thingy that its replacing. Also, the shrink tubing will keep those two pesky little prongs on the release button in place.

Finally, the release button-and-rod assembly just drops into the knob and shaft. Nothing holds it in place, and you can easily pull up on it. But the way it sits, it won't go anywhere.

So here's a couple pics of the finished project. Well, not quite finished...I need a better looking boot.

I know this is probably not to everyone's liking, but I think it matches the uniqueness of my Mera.

Thanks for looking!
Tom

[This message has been edited by Fiero-in-Paradise (edited 07-19-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2010 11:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I think that looks great. First round auto knob I've ever seem. Excellant work!

You also have the shiniest ash trays I have ever seen in a fiero.
IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock