Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  where can I get the pins for the 4.9 ECM connector?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

where can I get the pins for the 4.9 ECM connector? by davidpc
Started on: 06-19-2010 04:47 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 01-10-2011 05:34 PM
davidpc

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2010 04:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davidpcSend a Private Message to davidpcDirect Link to This Post
Hey all,
I need to add an additional wire to the yellow plug going into my ECM for my 4.9L. Does anyone know a possible source/part #? The folks at the local Caddy dealership don't seem able or willing to help me find the right ones. I'm sure I'm not the first person that has had to do this. Any ideas?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
davidpc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davidpcSend a Private Message to davidpcDirect Link to This Post
I thought I would try this again because I am really in a bind! I can't even get the guys in the Cadillac place to help me find a part number or anything for these pins.
Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 04:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure where to buy new ones. That being said there should be several that you don't need already in the connectors. There are several things that can't be used in a fiero. If you can't find any let me know and I can send you a few of the extras I have.

Yellow plug? I think the airbag module was the only one that used a yellow plugs. Probably the same pins though. BCM also uses the same pins if you have one.

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 06-21-2010).]

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
There was a post on here many moons ago that had all the info in it, but I can not seem to locate it.

BUT - all I did was take one of the old pins into a local dealer and asked them if they had any. The part guy just opened up one of their storage bins, found the pins that matched a sold me a couple (he never put a part number on the invoice). The other solution is to find another set of connectors at the scrap yard and remove the pins from the connector and spice it into your harness.

BTW - you will need the proper crimping tool to crimp these pins - if you don't have it, don't bother as you can't get a proper crimp with just pliers and get the pins to fit into the connector.

The crimper looks like this:

Edit >> as mentioned, what yellow plug? The ECM has 2 gray and one green plug.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-21-2010).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
You can buy the pins from mouser. They have a link to the complete delphi catalog. As stated, you 'need' that tool.

Do you have a picture of one of the pins?

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 06-21-2010).]

Fieroseverywhere

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 89
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroseverywhereSend a Private Message to FieroseverywhereDirect Link to This Post
On the old pins you can just cut the existing wire ~1/2" past the pin. Then solder and heat shrink the new wire. I've never used that crimp tool even though there is one at the shop. I'm sure new pins are nice but I have never found them "necissary".

[This message has been edited by Fieroseverywhere (edited 06-21-2010).]

davidpc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 07:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davidpcSend a Private Message to davidpcDirect Link to This Post
Ok guys, I think we are making some progress here. Fieroseverywhere, I think the my yellow plug is the green one on yours. I bought this harness from Injection Technology, and it has 1 yellow and two black plugs that connect to the ECM. Unfortunately, since they made this harness specifically for a Deville, there are no unused pins/wires that I can cannibalize.

I emailed Injection Technology for help, but they don't seem to be that interested helping me after the sale. I may see if I can't go to a wrecking yard and find a connector and get the pins from it. That might be our best bet.

davidpc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 07:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davidpcSend a Private Message to davidpcDirect Link to This Post

davidpc

14 posts
Member since May 2008
Fieroseverywhere, do you think I might get one or two from you? Just let me know the cost for everything and I'll get it right to you. I appreciate your time. You have been very helpful from the very beginning of this problem!

Thanks to all of you for your help! I'm starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
David

[This message has been edited by davidpc (edited 06-21-2010).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
The reason the terminals are 'necessary' is because some of us make our wiring harness with NO splice connections between sensor and the pcm. I listed almost all the terminals that most of us need in another thread, and I was willing to source it for you if you had a picture. If they are similar to other GM pins, the might already be listed in that thread. For instance, do they look like the factory Fiero ECU pins?

On the other hand, using old pins spliced in isn't a bad solution if you have them. It will probably be cheaper to go this route, and it will be MUCH better if you don't have the correct crimping tool.
hobodude34

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2010 11:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hobodude34Send a Private Message to hobodude34Direct Link to This Post
I am also looking for the ecm pins. i just want it to look factory and hate soldering and heat shrinking. ive got a couple of sources to check and will be doing so tomarrow.
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 12:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by hobodude34:

I am also looking for the ecm pins. i just want it to look factory and hate soldering and heat shrinking. ive got a couple of sources to check and will be doing so tomarrow.

Considering some of the wires are too short to reach the ECM in the stock Fiero location and keeping the wires tucked away out of site as much as possible in the engine bay - you WILL have to solder and heat shrink. On the bright side most of these connections can be made inside of the cabin where the wiring is hidden away so you can't see it and it still looks factory - besides you can always cover the connections with a wire loom and black tape just like they did at the factory and you will never see the splice anyways unless you pull it apart. Plus you will still have to splice the wires into the Fiero harness unless you get new pins for the Fiero C203/C500 and relay connectors as well.

...but each to their own...

I don't have a picture handy of the pins, so I can't help there (I always just splice my harnesses together - and don't even recall the reason why I needed to buy a couple). I will have to look when I get home and see if I still have some used ones.

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 06-22-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 01:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
The caddy ecm pins are also the same as used on all the 2.8L V6 ecms as well as a bunch of TBI V6 and V8 applications. Every now and then I tear down the harness leaving the sensor end connector, wire and ecm terminal pin intact. Just coil them up and put them in the wiring box. Then as I build the harness, I pull the needed connectors/wires/pin from the box, connect the sensor and then route the wire the way I want it.

Most of the time the wires are too long, so I cut them to fit with a western union/solder/tape/heat shrink joint and stagger their placement to minimize the splices laying on top of each other. This keeps the material cost of the harness at a minimum (tape, solder and heat shrink) while retaining OEM automotive grade electrical wire.

I do not consider a proper splice a bad thing, GM has them all over the place in the harnesses with common grounds, power feeds, and reference signals.

[This message has been edited by fieroguru (edited 06-22-2010).]

davidpc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davidpcSend a Private Message to davidpcDirect Link to This Post
Thank you all for your posts. This conversation is getting more and more informative as we go. Your comments are a big help in figuring out how I want to go about this.
stickpony

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2010 09:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stickponyClick Here to visit stickpony's HomePageSend a Private Message to stickponyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by davidpc:

Ok guys, I think we are making some progress here. Fieroseverywhere, I think the my yellow plug is the green one on yours. I bought this harness from Injection Technology, and it has 1 yellow and two black plugs that connect to the ECM. Unfortunately, since they made this harness specifically for a Deville, there are no unused pins/wires that I can cannibalize.

I emailed Injection Technology for help, but they don't seem to be that interested helping me after the sale. I may see if I can't go to a wrecking yard and find a connector and get the pins from it. That might be our best bet.

david, i will make your life easier.. just keep it wired as a deville, and i will reprogram your chip for you as a deville, problem solved, and you don't have to go cutting any wires! email me privately at stickpony@gmail.com for more details. you need the VATS programmed out anyways more than likely, and i'm sure you want to have a correct speedo output, so i can fix that for you as well...

Aaron
davidpc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-23-2010 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for davidpcSend a Private Message to davidpcDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Aaron! Let's do that. I just sent you a pm, and will email you later today! Thanks again, everybody!
David
Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2011 05:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
See page 170 of the Delphi catalog here: http://delphi.com/pdf/conta...CS_GlobalCatalog.pdf

Can buy from Mouser or Digikey

[This message has been edited by Mickey_Moose (edited 01-10-2011).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock