Started on: 06-08-2010 08:36 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: ltlfrari on 06-09-2010 10:55 AM
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
Cut to the chase.. I believe the RodneyDickman.com Clutch Slave to be better quality then the Fiero Store or Delco/other auto parts store slaves. If you want to know how/why I came to that conclusion, here is my longwinded explanation:

The OEM Original Getrag slave was a steel cylinder, welded up, and painted black. They were very good quality, and seemesd to last for years. Now, the majority of aftermarket ones are seemingly all cast iron, while the Rodney Dickman one is aluminum. Based on some Pennocks experiences, II believe the Delco one is just a re-branded Wagner (or similar) Cast iron one and just like the Fiero Store.

Before Rodney came up with the Aluminum ones he sells, I installed a "Fiero Store" Slave cylinder into my Formula. Due to some problems with my swap, I only got 100 miles on it over the course of a year or 2. It was garaged in between breakdowns. Unfortunately, it seemed like I had to re-bleed the clutch about 3-4 times over those (whopping) 100 miles of drive time. Because of this, I got frustrated, and purchased a RodneyDickman.com Aluminum, dual seal slave.

When physically comparing the two slaves, there is quite a difference. The Fierostore one only has a single seal (which looks to have begun breaking down after 100 miles), and the push rod comes to a semi-sharp point. The Rodney Dickman one has two seals, and the push rod is rounded, just like the original was. Why does the push rod point matter to me? On the Getrags, the shift arm seems to wear down over time. If you compare the contact area of a brand new one, to the contact area of a high mile used one, you will see a lot of material missing. Mine was about 1/4 inch worn into the clutch arm. Our clutch hydraulics already have tight tolerances, so adding a good 1/4 inch less to the clutch arm throw kinda blows. I feel the pointy rod would wear/damage this area more then a nice, rounded rod, and possibly wear down quicker too.
Below is the wear of old clutch arm, to new. Notice how deep the wear becomes:

Below is a 100 mile FieroStore slave next to Rodney's aluminum slave. Note the corrosion on the FS model, and that was AFTER I'd painted it silver (cheap engine paint, no primer). The Aluminum slave will never rust.

Here are the Slave piston rods. Note the Fiero store one comes to a sharpish point, which will wear on the already fragile tranny lever. The Dickman one is rounded, like the original was:

Here is the single seal piston on the FieroStore one:

Here is a closer area of the Single Seal Fiero Store. Note the rubber-goop that was making its way past the seal:

Here is the Rodney Dickman one. Note the two rubber seals.. double protection.

This is all just my opinion. I am not a mechanic, just an avid Fiero enthusiast! Unfortunately, as of this post, I haven't put any miles on the Rodney slave yet, so I will chime in after 100 miles to compare if I had to re-bleed, or had any issues. As of now, though, I'd definitely say the Rodney slave is superior in build quality.

[This message has been edited by smartaxel (edited 06-08-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierogt28

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 09:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt28Send a Private Message to fierogt28Direct Link to This Post
I put a little dab of grease in the push hole (clutch lever) so the lever doesn't wear or rust.

------------------
fierogt28

88 GT, loaded, 5-speed

Jonesy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 104
Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 10:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JonesySend a Private Message to JonesyDirect Link to This Post
its basically a no-brainer around here.. If there is a part that the Fiero Store & Rodney both sell.. Go with Rodney.. I put his aluminum slave in my car about 3 months ago.. Works like a champ.
Fierology

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierologySend a Private Message to FierologyDirect Link to This Post
I'm doubtless of the higher quality of Rodney's parts. However, with some honing and an MR2 piston I wonder how a cast iron model would compare. It's much cheaper. I want Rodney's slave, but it's blow to the wallet. Thanks much for your writup, and I look forward to your comments after use. I'll be finally buying mine tomorrow, so let's see if I disappoint everyone or go ahead and dish it out.

-Michael
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I put both of my aluminum slaves on sale again.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

Rodney

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 08:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post

Rodney

4715 posts
Member since Feb 2000

Originally posted by fierogt28:

I put a little dab of grease in the push hole (clutch lever) so the lever doesn't wear or rust.

Not always the best thing to do. It is a catch 22. Dry will wear. But grease attracts dirt and that wears also.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
All new web page!:www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
Put some dry graphite into the clutch arm hole.
ltlfrari

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 127
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2010 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ltlfrariClick Here to visit ltlfrari's HomePageSend a Private Message to ltlfrariDirect Link to This Post
I put a generic cast one on from Rock auto with the Toyota piston upgrade. Has to slap some paint on the slave as the outside rusted within a couple of days but otherwise it's been fine.

------------------
Dave

www.ltlfrari.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock