Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Anyone know how to do the GT bumper mod?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anyone know how to do the GT bumper mod? by ALJR
Started on: 05-31-2010 08:17 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: dobey on 06-02-2010 10:20 PM
ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 08:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post
Not too sure what exactly you would call it; modified bumper? lower chin mod? I am talking about the front bumper on the GT models that use a second bumper flipped and cut, like in the below pic. Any one know how to do it? Or if there are any build threads that show how to cut the doner bumber and how to fasten it to the stock bumper?

Picture "borrowed" form PFF user Mike Murphy, hope you do not mind, I love the way yours looks... If you want, I can pull the picture...

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Old Lar

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 214
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 08:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Old LarSend a Private Message to Old LarDirect Link to This Post
I'm not sure exactly, but similiar effect is to take a second nose, slice it laterally, invert it and mount it to the underside of the original nose. Sort of like a mirror image of the nose.
Carver1

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2010 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Carver1Send a Private Message to Carver1Direct Link to This Post
Pretty simple to do. You just need to trim the sides to made it level with the ground. Other than that, just follow the factory trim line.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2010 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post
From my build thread:

Cut along the red line.

Next, cut the center section out. You want to follow the curve of the front end and cut far enough back that you just cut in front of the center support.

Next, remove the reinforcing strip from the lower part of the bumper, cut it, and install it where you just cut out the center support. You will have to hammer this piece on because it has "teeth" built in and they will really grab the plastic with no need for other fasteners. This will strengthen and straighten the piece.

After this, the piece is flipped upside down and the extra plastic of the spoiler is cut off. If you are mounting this on a stock car, leave the plastic intact. It will give you more mounting areas. For the IMSA, it has to flare out more so it needs to be bent to a different curve....the plastic has to be cut off. As I said above leave as much of this area intact for the stock front end.

Here is the piece temporarily held up with paint cans so you can get an idea of what it will look like.

The side pieces that curve around can be cut more level towards the front tires or can be left at an angle as you see in the pics.
So, what have we done? Cut a factory front end down, flipped it upside down, and created a break proof chin spoiler....kinda cool.

[This message has been edited by IMSA GT (edited 06-01-2010).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 10:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

From my build thread:

Could you post the link please? Or is your cut/paste the full build?
What did you use to bond the two together?

Thanks for the info,
AL
mtownfiero

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 04:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mtownfieroSend a Private Message to mtownfieroDirect Link to This Post
You could come take a look at mine if you wanted too. I dont have the center any more but the side cuts are the only ones that you have to taper the cut.
IMSA GT

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 251
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2010 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IMSA GTSend a Private Message to IMSA GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ALJR:

Could you post the link please? Or is your cut/paste the full build?
What did you use to bond the two together?

Thanks for the info,
AL

That was just when I was taking a break in the build. I wanted to hack up the old front end just to show how it is done. The piece was never installed and I just tossed it in the trash.
dobey

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 371
User Banned

Report this Post06-02-2010 10:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dobeySend a Private Message to dobeyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by IMSA GT:

That was just when I was taking a break in the build. I wanted to hack up the old front end just to show how it is done. The piece was never installed and I just tossed it in the trash.

Oh man. Wish I would have known. I totally would have given you a dollar for it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock