freeze 12 refrigerant??? by TKDchamp
Started on: 05-25-2010 12:13 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: sardonyx247 on 05-30-2010 07:10 AM
TKDchamp

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKDchampSend a Private Message to TKDchampDirect Link to This Post
Anyone using this? If so, how do you like it?
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Alex4mula

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I have been using it for over 4 yrs in my red car that has not been converted. Works very well for me.
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 02:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post
I'm on my second summer of using it. Still ice cold.
cjgable

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 02:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
I've had it in my car for about the past 9 or 10 years. Still works great, colder than R134.

------------------
'87 2.8v6 5spd

Tim Bell

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Tim BellSend a Private Message to Tim BellDirect Link to This Post
Where do you get it? I do not want to change over to R-134

Tim Bell
W Scott

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for W ScottSend a Private Message to W ScottDirect Link to This Post
cjgable

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cjgableSend a Private Message to cjgableDirect Link to This Post
My mechanic at the time suggested switching to it instead of the R134. He provided it.
Alex4mula

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Alex4mulaSend a Private Message to Alex4mulaDirect Link to This Post
I buy it at Ebay. I just changed my yellow car to 134A but I'm tempted to try it there too.
Darth Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post
A properly converted Fiero system using R-134a will cool every bit as good as R12 did. Many complaints about R-134a not cooling as well as R12 in conversions were and are generated because the conversion was not done properly or worn out A/C system components were reused when they should have been replaced. And simply going to the parts store and buying an R-12 to R-134a conversion kit and dumping that into your car is not a proper conversion. The entire Fiero A/C system must be flushed of all old oil and the accumulator and expansion valve (orifice tube) must be replaced. New variable expansion valves are available that will work in the Fiero that enhance the cooling ability of R-134a and put the system on-par with OEM R-12 cooling performance. If your Fiero is still using the factory A/C compressor, chances are it is worn out if it has any kind of miles on it and probably needs to be replaced. Trying to use a worn out compressor with any kind of refrigerant is not going to produce good results.

I advise people stay away from R-12 replacement alternatives such as Freeze-12. Why? Who is going to service your system after it is converted? The EPA mandates that different refrigerant types be kept seperate, this means you need different servicing equipment for every refrigerant type you (or your shop) services. Most repair shops these days only have equipment to handle R-134a refrigerant. Few still have R-12 dedicated equipment. And fewer yet have anything that they would be willing to use to work on your car if it has Freeze-12 or some other R-12 alternative refrigerant in it.

If you have the equipment to service your own A/C system and you want to use Freeze-12 or some other R-12 alternative, then by all means use it if you want to. But if you can't service it yourself and a shop that is willing to is hard to find, you may be better off just doing the R-134a retrofit. Today R-134a retails for about $3.00-4.00 per pound and every shop that services automotive A/C systems will service it.

-ryan
MACS Licensed Automotive A/C Technician
------------------
6+ years on this same swap -- NO engine or transmission failures...

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 05-25-2010).]

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Nothing against Freeze 12 but its mostly R-134a.
I use R-134A for the Fiero conversions that I have done and the results have been great. I get very cold A/C performance. It will make it very comfortable on even 95*F days. The outlet temps with R-134A are about 38*-39*F with R-12 about 34-36*F. Thats too little to make a big difference, The key is to do the retrofit correctly flushing and using a new accumulator with the proper amount of oil and refrigerent.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

deceler8

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for deceler8Send a Private Message to deceler8Direct Link to This Post
I used some sort of hydrocarbon refrigerant (can't recall the name) when I replaced the compressor about 4 years ago.

Very cold still.

R134 was okay, but this stuff seems closer to R12 in cooling ability. Like being able to see your breath.

------------------

PFF
System Bot
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
What ryan said... plus--

Any hydrocarbon is banned from Vehicle AC. See NHTSA.

Why... If AC has a leak then potentially fireball in the car, garage, house, etc.
Like this... http://www.imcool.com/artic...Refrigerant_Fire.htm

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Those hydrocarbon refrigerents work great. Trouble is that they are also highly explosive. Those cans of "Envirosafe" are basically cheap Butane camp fuel ( sold at high prices for refrigerent) and putting it in your A/C system is dangerous. In an A/C system Butane and oil are under pressure, if the mixture escapes, and ignites, you have a fire bomb. There are some videos of cars blowing up online with cars using Envirosafe in the A/C system. (like the above)

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

[This message has been edited by Dennis LaGrua (edited 05-26-2010).]

steve308

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 57
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 07:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve308Send a Private Message to steve308Direct Link to This Post
If your system has failed----do a proper and complete conversion to 134 --- do it right and with the fiero's small cabin you will have no problem with 134. If your original system (Freon 12) is just low you can drop freeze 12 in on top (even though your not suppose to mix refrigerents). The blend in freeze 12 has operating pressures closer to freon 12 which can be a plus in an older system. BE SURE TO MARK YOUR SYSTEM. Don't be that guy who destroys a shops recycling machine when and if you do take it in for a service!
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2010 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
And think...
Porsche owner has a fire/explosion in engine area...

Can you guess what the leak was evaporator core... Sitting in a fireball. Similar like this... (Yes, he is a moron...)

Wiki... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propane

In motor vehicles

Such substitution is widely prohibited or discouraged in motor vehicle air-conditioning systems, on the grounds that using flammable hydrocarbons in systems originally designed to carry non-flammable refrigerant presents a significant risk of fire or explosion.[10][11][12][13][14][15][16][17]

Vendors and advocates of hydrocarbon refrigerants argue against such bans on the grounds that there have been very few such incidents relative to the number of vehicle air conditioning systems filled with hydrocarbons.[18][19] One particular test was conducted by a professor at the University of New South Wales that unintentionally tested the worst case scenario of a sudden and complete refrigerant loss into the passenger compartment followed by subsequent ignition. He and several others in the car sustained burns to the face, ears, and hands, and several observers received lacerations from the burst glass of the front passenger window.[20]

Use Google and
hydrocarbon refrigerant explosion
hydrocarbon refrigerant fire

Remember...
OE refrigerant is Non Flammable. System in made for just that... Soft rubber hose, Main AC compressor crank seal, etc, is not made for Flammable refrigerant.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 05-27-2010).]

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
For the record: While I have no experience with Freeze 12 and would never use it in any of my own cars, it was listed as of June 3, 1997 under the EPA SNAP Program as an acceptable substitute for R-12, "... subject to (unique) fittings, (proper) labeling, no drop-in, and compressor shutoff switch use conditions.". According to the EPA, Freeze 12 consists of 80% R-134a (HFC) and 20% R-142b (HCFC).

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 05-27-2010).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Freeze 12 has different fittings too... If you are bent to use Freeze 12, Use them!
http://autorefrigerants.com/co00031.htm or search google/etc

And note: If you have a leak, even a very small leak, you must drain All freeze 12 to fix it. (Like you had a loose connection and you had to tighten it, etc.)
Why...

R12 or R134 is one type of refrigerant. Easy to add more refrigerant is based on pressure.

Freeze 12 has Two, at lest, kinds of refrigerant and they leak/evaporate at different rates. The only way to know is to drop all old refrigerant then use new stuff. You never know what the mix is unless you replace it with all new Freeze 12. Same with all mix/blend type product. Every time the system is low on refrigerant... Drain all old Freeze 12 and add new.

------------------
(Jurassic Park)

Justinbart

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 119
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 07:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JustinbartSend a Private Message to JustinbartDirect Link to This Post
maybe we should empty our gas tanks and replace it with water, wouldn't want to risk it.

------------------
Turbo 3800 E85 5spd spec5
11.53@126.7

Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post
The boiling point of R134a is -15 deg F
The boiling point of R12 is -21 deg F
The boiling point of ES12a is -30.4 deg F

Compared to a desirable outlet temp of 50 deg F, the boiling point of ES12a is 23.7% colder than R134a and 13.2% colder than R12. Just for fun facts, R12 is 9.2% colder than R134a.

So ES12a would be colder than either R134a or R12.

There are other, more technical factors involved. To state it in in a non-technical way for the audience here, ES-12a is composed of 'larger' molecules and is capable of transporting more heat.

If you look at a chart of recognized refrigerants, please note carefully what R290 is.

Yes boys and girls, evil, awful, blow up your car today propane, has a refrigerant number, R290. I'm thinking that someone knows something beyond what has been discussed here.

And this is from the EPS SNAP page:

"Is sale of hydrocarbon refrigerants legal?
Sale of subtitute refrigerants listed under the SNAP program is not regulated under SNAP."

If some can point me directly to the NHTSA citation banning R290 is automobiles, please do so. I need this for a project at work.

Thanks,

Steve

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\4T65E-HD

Wanna go faster?

[This message has been edited by Steve25 (edited 05-27-2010).]

Frizlefrak

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post05-27-2010 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FrizlefrakSend a Private Message to FrizlefrakDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Steve25:

Yes boys and girls, evil, awful, blow up your car today propane, has a refrigerant number, R290. I'm thinking that someone knows something beyond what has been discussed here.

May be, but it cooks a damn tasty bratwurst

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 12:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:

Freeze 12 has Two ... kinds of refrigerant and they leak/evaporate at different rates. The only way to know is to drop all old refrigerant then use new stuff. You never know what the mix is unless you replace it with all new Freeze 12. Same with all mix/blend type product. Every time the system is low on refrigerant... Drain all old Freeze 12 and add new.

Excellent point. Refrigerant mixtures like Freeze 12 are zeotropes, meaning that the individual contituents maintain their independent boiling points and vapor pressures. One effect of this is that zeotropes exhibits a property called "temperature glide," meaning that different mixture ratios have different thermodynamic properties.

Another result is that zeotropes like Freeze 12 must be added to a system in liquid form, else you are not guaranteed that the proper, as-manufactured constituent ratio will be preserved.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 05-28-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post
I would agree with most others here and just use R-134a.

The cooling performance is plenty for such a small cabin space in the Fiero. I just installed a reman compressor, new fixed orifice tube (not the variable orifice) and a new accumulator with R-134a. It blows COLD. There is no reason to risk your life and your car from becoming a fireball by using explosive refrigerant.

maybe we should empty our gas tanks and replace it with water, wouldn't want to risk it.

the fuel system was designed to contain a flammable substance. The A/C system was not.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 04:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Justinbart:

maybe we should ... replace it with water

That would be refrigerant R-718. You can look it up.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 05-29-2010).]

Cooter

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 138
Rate this member

Report this Post05-28-2010 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CooterSend a Private Message to CooterDirect Link to This Post
I've got 134 in my Fiero. It seems to cool pretty good-

BL3200

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BL3200Send a Private Message to BL3200Direct Link to This Post
My AC compressor was broken.
I replaced it (got it from auto parts), replaced the accumulator and let it recharged with R134a.
It works very well and very smoothly.

In Europe, R12 is strictly forbidden! If you own any, you can be prosecuted and get serious fine.

------------------
Bernard
Fiero V6 GT 1987 (Manual)

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-29-2010 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BL3200:

In Europe, R12 is strictly forbidden! If you own any, you can be prosecuted and get serious fine.

In accordance with the Montreal Protocol, in the U.S. it has been illegal to manufacture or import R-12 since 1993. However, existing stocks of R-12 (as of 1993) could continue to be used, and R-12 can legally be recovered, recycled, remanufactured, and reused indefinitely. Virtually all of the R-12 being used in the U.S. today has been recycled at least once. It is still strictly illegal to vent R-12 into the atmosphere, except for unintentional "de minimis" releases. I think this is a reasonable policy.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 06-11-2010).]

sardonyx247

Feedback score:    (88)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 218
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2010 07:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sardonyx247Click Here to visit sardonyx247's HomePageSend a Private Message to sardonyx247Direct Link to This Post
Just use 134a, in my GT with only one vent open and on low fan, (yes I know this is not the standard to measure) but I can get it coming out of the vent at 33 degs Can't get better as it shuts off at 32. Vents open and on high it is about 38 to 40ish and this is in Vegas. Just do it RIGHT and 134a is fine. But to use ANYTHING else but 134a or R12, if you ever need service every shop will tell you to go away as no one wants to contaminate their equipment. Besides 134a is cheaper than freeze12. And freeze12 is just 80% 134a anyway. BTW doing it right is flushing the system, new drier and orifice tube, don't try to flush the condenser or evaporator or you WILL just blow your new compressor. as they can not be flushed and get all the flush out. If they need to be flushed, you HAVE to replace them.

------------------
"DRIVE IT LIKE A FIERO"
'84 Fiero, engine to be determined
'87Blue GT 3.4L Swap Completed!!!!!!!! Boosted!!!!!!!
^^^^ Now in the Construction Zone^^^^
Las Vegas Fiero Club Parts/Sales/Service/Club
Fiero Road Club Of Northern Nevada

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock