Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Cowl Hood Fiberglassing Frenzy, plus 3800S/C Widebody guest appearance by Car-2-Lo

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Cowl Hood Fiberglassing Frenzy, plus 3800S/C Widebody guest appearance by Car-2-Lo by Capt Fiero
Started on: 04-26-2010 11:34 PM
Replies: 16
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 06-14-2010 09:37 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post04-26-2010 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok so we did a huge fiberglass tech day at my place. It turned into a Mini Tech as only the major players showed up.

Video has pics of our local Choptop owner and too cute of fire451's daughter after getting back from a spin in the chopper, Fire451 is doing a Choptop himself, however with V8 power rather than 3800SC power.

Video from the day is here, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulC1l9xt7Ls

Pics

Car2Lo sizing up the new cowl hood.

My big hole in the hood for the air to vent through.

1st layer of fiberglass on the edge

filler/sealer, some sort of fiberglass based putty.

Partially primed and installed. There was a ton of sanding and from what I understand we still have a ton more work to be done before it is perfect.

I started to get a bit crazy and paint the corner of the nose just to see what it would look like. I can't wait to have this thing all painted. It should look amazing

Then the one side shot showing the rear scoop and the front scoop.

When we are all done the car will be black with white accents.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

[This message has been edited by Capt Fiero (edited 05-02-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post04-27-2010 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
Interesting... Looks good, but...

You've got some broken links mingling in there. Just FYI.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
All the links seem to be working from this end.
SMTHGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-01-2010 10:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SMTHGTSend a Private Message to SMTHGTDirect Link to This Post
Looking good Capt... What else you going to glass..?? Remeber, I LOVE GLASS...

------------------
SMTHGT.....
Aka. "SmoothGT"
1987 GT 4.9L~V8~4T60E

SlowGuitarMan

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SlowGuitarManSend a Private Message to SlowGuitarManDirect Link to This Post
There are two pics that don't show up. Looks cool though so far.
RCR

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 102
Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RCRSend a Private Message to RCRDirect Link to This Post
end tags missing from pics...

keep up the good work.

Bob
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 04:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
These still need to be tweaked and put on, kinda worried about the amount of body parts that will have to be removed to install these.

I think we are going to tweak the angle of the opening to blend better with the rear scoop's style.

You can kinda see the rear cowl scoop in a few of the above shots.

P.S. thanks for fixing the messed up links, I totally missed that, I was looking for broken jpg's and not for my own screwed up code.

------------------
85GT Soon to be 87GT,93 Eldorado 4.9, 5spd Dual O2 Custom Chip, Custom Exhaust. MSD Everything Capt Fiero --- My Over View Cadero Pics Yellow 88GT 5spd Full Poly Suspension, Lowered 1/2" in front, Corner Carver.

PS40

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 04:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PS40Send a Private Message to PS40Direct Link to This Post
what year scoop did u use on the front i like that idea

------------------
All ways on my IPHONE!!!!!!

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-02-2010 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The hood scoop came off a 1983 GMC 1 Ton Hotrod Truck, so I have no idea what it was originally made for. I think it was just a generic hotrod cowl from a performance shop.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 01:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
The artist won't let me post any more pics until he is done with it, so here is a bump anyway.
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Just a quick update.  Car2Lo came and did some more work on the nose, and I did a quickie black and white primer dusting just to see what it will look like.  I am really pleased so far.
Here are the quick shots, sorry for the darkness I shot them at 8pm tonight.

PFF
System Bot
jsketcham

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 03:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jsketchamSend a Private Message to jsketchamDirect Link to This Post
Hi Captn, Love the look of that front bumper. did you make a mold for the lower part of it and how did you attach it to the urethane bumper? I'd like to see how it is put together if ya have any before/after shots of it. I have the same cowl induction hood up front too and love it. Looks Great!
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 05:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
About 3/4 the way down the page shows the rebuild of the nose. https://www.fiero.nl/forum/F...2/HTML/098362-3.html The nose had been built and destroyed when I got the car. Car-2-Lo, had to take the nose apart and rebuild it due to damage. We left it in the same basic shape as I got it in as I kinda decided I liked it. He used a mixture of fiberglass putty and foam to make the shape, then used his own technique of roughing up the urethane and blending in fiberglass strands then a special type of filler to create a seamless joint. Then a lot of sanding and more sanding to get it to the way it is now.

------------------

87antuzzi

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 228
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 07:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87antuzziSend a Private Message to 87antuzziDirect Link to This Post

[/QUOTE]
More about the exhaust!
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2010 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Heres a clip from that same thread I linked to earlier.

The exhaust goes from the Y-Pipe into a bottle muffler where the cat would normally be, then simply exits straight out the side via a small dog leg in the pipe to keep it high enough.

Yep me actually marking before I cut. Well I didn't cut, I just marked then drilled the 2 corner holes, John did all the cutting.

John taped off all the edges and made sure all the cuts were straight.

John pointed out that there was a clamp that was going to be in our way and needed to be trimmed. I looked in there and went, well hmm. The clamp is

there for decoration. The pipe has been welded.

So out came the zip disk.

No more clamp. Let's get rid of a tiny bit of rust.

Mounted and perfect.

Well that was until a little bad habit of mine came back. I went grabbed some sand paper, grabbed a dry rag, did a quick sand, then a quick shot of

white primer. I had to see what it would look like. I think I like it. I think I like it a lot.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-08-2010 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

Well I got a little more done today, a lot of sanding and primering and more sanding and primering.

It is still going to need the primer sanded and more coats added before final paint, but at least it is now one colour and acceptable for the all Pontiac show, even if it is "under construction"

I am too tired to make a huge write up, there are a lot of places that I need to touch up, but for now, I am happy with the progress for one day.

------------------

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-14-2010 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock