Started on: 02-01-2010 01:44 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: James Bond 007 on 11-16-2010 10:31 AM
Jncomutt

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
I've been searching for LEDs to use in a tail light project and there are so many options. I was lookin at Golden86's thread and I noticed he used a 10mm LED. Is a 10mm LED the best overall size for this type of thing?

Also, when it comes to the brightness, I'm seeing anywhere between 4000 and 135000mcd. Is there such thing as too bright? I just need some good info or places to look about which LED is the 'right' LED. I don't want to blind anyone, but I don't want the things to be too dim either.

Is this too much for auto use? I know a typical LED is 19-21mA, this says 100mA. Also, at .5w, it won't take long before these use more power than the factory bulb. Better choice?

------------------
--1984 3800 Turbo / 5speed
--518hp on a Dyno-dynamics
--11.8 @ 126mph

[This message has been edited by Jncomutt (edited 02-01-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
pmbrunelle

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post02-01-2010 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pmbrunelleSend a Private Message to pmbrunelleDirect Link to This Post
I can't say what size LED you should use... I would go for the ubiquitous 5mm ones, but that's just me. Depends how you want to mount them and whatever other considerations you may have, etc...

First, choose LEDs with the widest viewing angle you can find. You want the lamps to be visible to drivers not only directly behind you. i.e. you want floods, not narrow-beam spotlights.

That said, the mcd rating is pretty useless on its own. It is just a measure of the peak intensity, in the bright spot. You should be more concerned with total light power. This is measured in lumens, and you can find it (approximately) using the mcd rating and the viewing angle.

Given:
F = Luminous flux in lumens
I = Luminous intensity in candela (remember to convert from mcd to cd)
A = Viewing angle

F = I × 2 x pi × (1 - cos(A/2))

Just so you can have an idea of how many LEDs you will need:

A SINGLE typical 2057 bulb, (2057 is stock for a notchback), puts out:
Brake/turn filament: 400 Lumens
Park filament: 25 Lumens

[This message has been edited by pmbrunelle (edited 02-01-2010).]

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 01:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
That's some good info, thank you...
carbon

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 08:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
HID Planet - LED Forum

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 02-02-2010).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post02-02-2010 08:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

HID Planet - LED Forum

love the place

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

Trinten

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TrintenSend a Private Message to TrintenDirect Link to This Post
Found this thread when I was trying to find out how many 2057 and 1157 bulbs there are total on the Fiero so I knew how many LED replacements to Order!

I got wedge LEDs from http://www.Superbrightleds.com for the PONTIAC symbol and they worked great, so I'm in the process of buying their other bulb replacement units. Their website is a bit cumbersome (in my opinion), but great pieces.

Besides the "ready to plug in" bulbs, they also sell components, hope it helps you out!
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post
This is just IMHO, but the factory taillights are awesome and have a lot of detail in them. If you're hell bent on LEDs its much easier to get a drop-in replacement from eBay, good ones usually run about $20 for a pair. Just search 1157 led and look for the ones that have SMD LEDs. They are all cheap chinese parts though and tend to be less reliable than regular bulbs.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
The way that I am going to do LEDs only enhances the look of the stock tail light design... And plug and play LED 'bulbs' can and will only look horrible.
Brastic

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BrasticClick Here to visit Brastic's HomePageSend a Private Message to BrasticDirect Link to This Post
I have not seen good cheep eBay LEDs yet. I have used Superbrighleds.com before with good results. For me, I cannot use cheep plug in LEDs for the reasons mentioned above. Sure they might be bright when focused, but they are not bright and diffused enough for car use yet. For brake lights, I would use nothing less than 1+ watt leds. Anything less than that will be too dim.
masospaghetti

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for masospaghettiSend a Private Message to masospaghettiDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by carbon:

The way that I am going to do LEDs only enhances the look of the stock tail light design... And plug and play LED 'bulbs' can and will only look horrible.

I don't know what your basis of this is, but the newer designs that have side-firing SMD LEDs do a good job filling the lens with light and are at least as bright as stock.

I'm talking about the ones with the IC-looking LEDs, not the traditional bullet-shaped LEDs.

I have not seen good cheep eBay LEDs yet. I have used Superbrighleds.com before with good results. For me, I cannot use cheep plug in LEDs for the reasons mentioned above. Sure they might be bright when focused, but they are not bright and diffused enough for car use yet. For brake lights, I would use nothing less than 1+ watt leds. Anything less than that will be too dim.

A 1 watt LED that isn't directional usually works well to replace a 194-style bulb and will be considerably brighter. A guideline for the SMD-type LED bulbs is 6 SMD's = 1 watt, so a 24 LED SMD bulb would be approximately a 4-watt LED (which, by the way, would be appropriate for a stop/brake bulb).

A SINGLE typical 2057 bulb, (2057 is stock for a notchback), puts out:
Brake/turn filament: 400 Lumens

Are you sure about these numbers? 400 lumens is a lot. A 55 watt halogen headlight (9006-style) puts out about 1000 lumens, I find it hard to believe a 32 watt non-halogen could put out 400.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 07:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
light bulb note... see cave, lighting section
All OE and some alternate bulbs are in table in light bulb article

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top and bottom of every forum page...)

PFF
System Bot
Steve25

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2010 11:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve25Send a Private Message to Steve25Direct Link to This Post
I just got lights from Super Bright for the Tial and Turn lights.

They are the 24 LED, red. They are ok bright enough but not as bright as I would like.

------------------
Steve AT 88GTP DOT com
88 GT\3800 SC\L67\L26\4T65E-HD
NIC Cam\Comp Cam Hi-Tech 1.8 rockers\Rhoads XL Lifters
eBay Headers\Magnaflow Camaro muffler, 3.4 pulley
DH Tune

Wanna go faster?

carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 08:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post
'Not as bright as I would like...'

Exactly... I will only used LEDs from Phillips Lumileds... and not in some silly light bulb look-a-like form factor.
carbon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

carbon

4767 posts
Member since Apr 2004

Originally posted by masospaghetti:
Are you sure about these numbers? 400 lumens is a lot. A 55 watt halogen headlight (9006-style) puts out about 1000 lumens, I find it hard to believe a 32 watt non-halogen could put out 400.

code:
Specification          1157          H1157        2357

Volts(high) 14.0 14.0 14.0
" (low) 12.8 12.8 12.8

Watts(high) 26.8 49.9 28.1
" (low) 14.0 unknown 14.0

Amps (high) 2.1 3.9 2.2
" (low) 1.0 unknown 1.0

Base S8 S8 S8

Candlepower (high) 32 107 40
" (low) 3 25 3

Lumens (high) 402 1,350 unknown
" (low) 38 38 320

Average life (high) 1,200 400 400
" " (low) 5,000 400 5,000

Nice to see that the code tags don't work right anymore...

[This message has been edited by carbon (edited 11-16-2010).]

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2010 10:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
It allso depends how maney L.E.D.'s are being used and if the lense covers are tinted or not.
http://shop.ebay.com/?_from...t=See-All-Categories

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html...=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

Edit: I forgot to mention that,if you go with L.E.D. brake\Turn lights you will need an electronic turn flasher.L.E.D. lights with single purpose lighting, like the 3rd brake light,shouldnt need the electronic turn flasher.

[This message has been edited by James Bond 007 (edited 11-16-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock