AC Delco PF52 oil filter has shrunk by Larryh86GT
Started on: 12-17-2009 08:39 AM
Replies: 35
Last post by: carnut122 on 11-17-2010 07:51 PM
Larryh86GT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 08:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

I had 2 PF52 filters that I bought in the summer. Yesterday I bought 2 more. The new filters are 4 3/8" long. The old ones are 5" long. From the side view you can see the steel is cheaper. The rubber gasket is thinner too.
Larry

[This message has been edited by Larryh86GT (edited 12-17-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero84Freak

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 08:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero84FreakSend a Private Message to Fiero84FreakDirect Link to This Post
That's strange. I just bought a PF52 two days ago and it was the longer one on the right. Maybe I picked up an older stock...

That's interesting though because if they indeed have shrunk then that's reduced oil capacity a little bit. No more filling up with exactly five quarts and not checking anything
jaskispyder

Feedback score:    (22)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 205
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Different GM part number it looks like... hmmm
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 227
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 09:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Probably contracted to different manufacturers. Is one of them labeled "Made in China" and the other not?

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 12-17-2009).]

Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Probably contracted to different manufacturers. Is one of them labeled "Made in China" and the other not?

Good question. I'll take a look when I get home from work tonight.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Marvin McInnis:

Yes... contract change no doubt. Printer has change means part is different co. (Look at print job... Font and Duraguard, even ACDelco logo, is different.)

Change was in work before bailout probably. Part contract take a long time. Delphi (Was GM part divisions) is sourcing parts allot in Pacific Rim and Asian/China. Thanks to UAW. Thanks to Obummer... All contracts will change soon and cheaper too.

GM part # has change too. Look at # on right.
Old: 25171377
New: 19212xx (I can't made out some #. 36 I think)

New Screams cheap part.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post
Any chance they may be counterfeit?

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 02:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RickN:

Any chance they may be counterfeit?

thats what im thinking. one has a barcode, the other doesnt.

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:

thats what im thinking. one has a barcode, the other doesnt.

Yes, the filter is possibly a counterfeit. But the bar code would be extremely easy to counterfeit, too.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 12-17-2009).]

jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Look up the part number on one of the many GM part sites....

Also, take it to a GM shop and ask them... show them the difference. They may be able to confirm it.

J.
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 05:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
In the review on oil filters (the link is here, somewhere) the P52 is no longer recommended.
What, then, are the maker and part number for a good substitute?
PFF
System Bot
Fiero_Adam

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero_AdamSend a Private Message to Fiero_AdamDirect Link to This Post
Yep, the AC filters are cheaply made and not as good as they use to be. It's quite apparent just from that picture. I'm not sure if it's better than Fram or not at this point (yes, I said Fram)! Compare filters before you buy. Wix filters are normally very good. A lot of store brand filters are pretty good as well. And there's always the higher end filters like K&N and Mobil.

------------------

wheelman2148

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 06:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wheelman2148Send a Private Message to wheelman2148Direct Link to This Post
Re: oil filters. Not too long ago , I was talking to a good friend of mine and he was telling me about a experiment he read about on the pontiac forums. A guy bought several brands of oil filters and cut them open to examine the insides and see how much element each one had. Purolator came out on the bottom . AC was not that good either. The filter with the most element inside was Mobil 1. This is all I use now on all my cars. I do not have the stock number handy as the filter is on the motor. Be very careful when buying oil filters, stay away from the cheapos. They have little element in them and some will even let the prime up of oil drain back to the oilpan, meaning your car will start dry. This happened to me several years ago with a Group 7 oil filter. There are a lot of Fugazy products on the market today. Buyer Beware !!
hookdonspeed

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for hookdonspeedClick Here to visit hookdonspeed's HomePageSend a Private Message to hookdonspeedDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wheelman2148:

Re: oil filters. Not too long ago , I was talking to a good friend of mine and he was telling me about a experiment he read about on the pontiac forums. A guy bought several brands of oil filters and cut them open to examine the insides and see how much element each one had. Purolator came out on the bottom . AC was not that good either. The filter with the most element inside was Mobil 1. This is all I use now on all my cars. I do not have the stock number handy as the filter is on the motor. Be very careful when buying oil filters, stay away from the cheapos. They have little element in them and some will even let the prime up of oil drain back to the oilpan, meaning your car will start dry. This happened to me several years ago with a Group 7 oil filter. There are a lot of Fugazy products on the market today. Buyer Beware !!

mobil filters are rebrands, of i forget what company, and wix are good filters also.
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

A couple more pics. Both boxes say Product of USA. The box on the left is the better made and larger filter.

Larry

------------------

Without question the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer.
Oh I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention
but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza.
-- Dave Barry

Patrick

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 458
Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 09:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PatrickSend a Private Message to PatrickDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Larryh86GT:

Both boxes say Product of USA.

That's fine and dandy, but where are the filters made?

Riddick85

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Riddick85Send a Private Message to Riddick85Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by wheelman2148:

I don't know if this is what you are talking about but I came across this a while back. Make me feel glad I always used bosch filters.
http://www.300cforums.com/f...lters-dissected.html
wheelman2148

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-17-2009 10:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wheelman2148Send a Private Message to wheelman2148Direct Link to This Post
Hi Riddick, just finished looking at that site you had posted. This may very well be the one my friend told me about awhile back. Very interesting as well as informative. I remember back in the mid '60s when I worked in a gas station, some oil filters were the type that were installed in the metal cannister. The one that comes to mind is the old Chevy type # PF 141. At least you could see what you were putting in your car. Now it's pot luck. Thanks for posting that site. Ernie
americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 12:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
if you notice, those part numbers underneith the model number is different on the box.

i just put on a PF47 on my aveo today, and it too looked smaller and it was definantly different from the past ones. this one was bought a couple months ago too.

they should have cut up an AC Delco one as well and that crap ford uses. unless they did and i just forgot what they use.
------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

[This message has been edited by americasfuture2k (edited 12-19-2009).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 01:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...all the AC Delco PF52 filters I have bought in the past have been white in color (maybe a Canadian thing?). I have been using the Puralator ones of late...
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 01:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
I run Fram... (I know.. crappy, but I change it every 3K and haven't had any issues), Purolator and AC Delco. The nice thing about FRAM is the rubberized grip and it is just easier to use this filter than to try to get a wrench in there, plus if the car dies, I get to buy a new one!

I may just start buying Purolater for everything, sad, but AC Delco used to be the standard.

J.
PFF
System Bot
Dodgerunner

Feedback score:    (61)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 323
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 02:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DodgerunnerClick Here to visit Dodgerunner's HomePageSend a Private Message to DodgerunnerDirect Link to This Post
Darn, was using the AC's guess loosing another filter options. The new ones look too cheaply made.
carbon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 132
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 02:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carbonSend a Private Message to carbonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

I run Fram... (I know.. crappy, but I change it every 3K and haven't had any issues), Purolator and AC Delco. The nice thing about FRAM is the rubberized grip and it is just easier to use this filter than to try to get a wrench in there, plus if the car dies, I get to buy a new one!

I may just start buying Purolater for everything, sad, but AC Delco used to be the standard.

J.

I have never owned a filter wrench... I put a little oil on the rubber seal and snug it up to where I need a good hard twist to get it off, but I have never needed a wrench on any of my cars. You don't need to torque down the filter...
Bruce

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
What is the Purolator part number for the comparable AC Delco P52?
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 02:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, but I do know that, but I would rather make sure it is tight enough, than too loose. I know someone that didn't have his filter tight enough and it backed off and leaked.

The location of some of these filters makes it hard to get a grip on them, unless there is something like the rubber coating on the filter, or a wrench.
jaskispyder

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 02:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jaskispyderSend a Private Message to jaskispyderDirect Link to This Post

jaskispyder

21510 posts
Member since Jun 2002

Originally posted by Bruce:

What is the Purolator part number for the comparable AC Delco P52?

Almost had it memorized: L24011, but double check with the book they have on the shelf.

[This message has been edited by jaskispyder (edited 12-18-2009).]

Mickey_Moose

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 03:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jaskispyder:

Almost had it memorized: L24011, but double check with the book they have on the shelf.

The Puraltor website will tell you what the part number is for most cars (may not have that Ferrari part number)
jetman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 273
Rate this member

Report this Post12-18-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jetmanClick Here to visit jetman's HomePageSend a Private Message to jetmanDirect Link to This Post

AC Delco PF52 oil filter has shrunk

Curly Howard says....."That's sabatoogies!"

This is crap! It was one thing when they downsized cereal, deodorant or candy bars but this is total bull crap. I bet they cost more now too?!

css9450

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 85
Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 10:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for css9450Send a Private Message to css9450Direct Link to This Post
Is the new one of the E-core design? Some Delcos are and some are not; the only PF52s I've used are not.

Its made in USA so I'll assume its by Champion Labs.
Marvin McInnis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 06:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Marvin McInnisClick Here to visit Marvin McInnis's HomePageSend a Private Message to Marvin McInnisDirect Link to This Post
Based on a little research it seems that GM part #25171377 (old PF52) is probably made by Wix, and the new #19212086 (new PF52) is probably made by Champion Labs. Two signature identifiers are the number of holes in the oil inlet and the crimps or notches that hold the gasket in place.

I'll update this information as I learn more.

Update: The official AC Delco explanation for the change is now posted here. It's a new "feature!" Yea, right!

Update from this source (12/5/2009): "There are currently three different versions of the PF52 oil filter available at various retailers. One is made by Wix and the other two are made by Champion Labs. The new filter is made by Champion Labs and is part of their new eCore design." (Emphasis added.)

Update 12/22/2009: Today I examined one of the new "PF52" filters and verified that #19212086 (shorter) is indeed a Champion eCore filter. I also verified that the WalMart "SuperTech" #ST3980 is a Champion eCore filter, identical to the AC Delco "PF52" #19212086, priced at about a dollar less.

[This message has been edited by Marvin McInnis (edited 12-22-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-19-2009 06:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
if the new Delco's are fram, then damnit
PFF
System Bot
Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post
The 2 filters are taken apart and the quality of each is shown:

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/105372.html
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I've been using WIX oil filters in both Fieros, my van and my Goldwing GL1500 motorcycle. Excellent products.

Reviews http://people.msoe.edu/~yod.../oilfilterstudy.html

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& Super Duty 4 Indy #163

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 12-20-2009).]

Larryh86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-20-2009 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Larryh86GTSend a Private Message to Larryh86GTDirect Link to This Post

Not to add to the confusion but here is a 3rd part number for the PF52. This is identical to the larger 5" filter pictured earlier.
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post01-14-2010 10:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
Was at my local Farm and Fleet store the other day. Looked at their stock and they were the new plastic insides type.

Bent down and looked and found 2 new old stock good ones in the back.

------------------
Rodney Dickman

Fiero Parts And Acc's Web Page:
www.rodneydickman.com
Rodney Dickman's Fiero accessories
7604 Treeview Drive
Caledonia, WI 53108
Phone/Fax (262) 835-9575

carnut122

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2010 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for carnut122Send a Private Message to carnut122Direct Link to This Post
Not to beat a dead thread, but do any of the rest of you use the PF52 on your Briggs and Stratton engine on your riding lawn mower?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock