Factory upgrade fuel pump by DefEddie
Started on: 11-29-2009 07:40 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: DefEddie on 05-25-2010 11:18 PM
DefEddie

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
*Update-have had two of these pumps die on me now in less than 2-3 tanks of gas.*
*Read to bottom of thread for updates*

I've been trying to figure out which fuel pump to use when I swap in the 3.1 TGP motor.
I have a fuel pump on lifetime warranty from a truck like 10 years ago (before I went to Walbro's).
I pulled down the truck pump and the fiero 2.8 pump,here's what I found-the pics and application info speak for themselves.
Stock fiero part number E3240 (1988 fiero GT 2.8 Auto)

E3240 specs
Retail price---$73.99
Fitting size---5/16"
Fitting type---Inlet,filter/Outlet,hose connection
Gallons per hour--- 40 (151 liters)
Pressure rating---65-95psi
Warranty---1yr

E3270 specs
Retail price---$76.99
Fitting size---5/16"
Fitting type---Inlet,filter/Outlet,hose connection
Gallons per hour---50-60 (189-227 liters)
Pressure rating---80-90psi
Warranty---1yr

Part number E3270 is factory replacement pump for a 1997 chevy C1500 2wd 5.7.
Don't go any newer,or look up an SUV. I didn't check all app's but in 97 starting with the 4dr tahoe/yukon's they went to a factory module at $320+ (has exact same pump in it,just in a sending unit/module that your not supposed to disassemble-but you can)
Did a quick cross check of the vehicles I know have high fueling capacities.
The 97ish trucks of course are 350 sequential fuel injected vortec engine's.
It is also the stock replacement fuel pump for the 454 equipped truck,and just to make sure I checked a 91 GMC syclone 4.3 turbo and yep it's the same pump.

So basically,if it can fuel those your not going to have an issue with a turbo/SC 4.3 or smaller engine running out of fuel unless your running some massive boost,N20 etc..
It specs a little lower than the 255 *race* units but can be found at any parts store in the above applications. Don't mind the pressure rating,the SFI's ramp up to 65psi+ but only run about 45psi generally.
And the syclone is TBI right? so it can run low pressure also no issues.

I will pick one up in the morning (need to bring a core in that i've got laying around for the warranty) and install it when I get a day to do everything else i'm stacking up (inner/outer tie rods,rack bushing,shocks,pads,caliper rebuild,brake lines,end links/mounts etc..)

I see no possible issue with install other than maybe wiring the plug. I know they are both the same but most pumps nowadays come with a plug to be wired in anyway so your doing it regardless i'm betting.
Easier on application crossover that way I guess.
I'll take pics and update this thread with the install data.
I hope this info helps somebody.
As soon as I get ahold of an 88 front/rear bearing i'll use my bored time to find a hub that will swap in easily.

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 05-25-2010).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 10:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
i had badluck with my last warlbro. i replaced it with AC Delco pump for a 88 corvette. ZR1 i believe. got it from rock auto for 68 bux.
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
The fuel pump for an 88 corvette (all models) is an E3210
Specs are the same gallon per hour rating as the fiero pump,with a higher 65-95psi pressure rating.
So your not actually getting anything more from it other than capability of handling a higher pressure load.
E3210
Fitting Size: Outlet - 5/16
Fitting Type: Inlet - filter, outlet - hose connection
Gallons Per Hour: 40
Pressure Rating: 65-95 psi
Warranty: 1yr

It list's at Autozone retail for $51.99

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 11-30-2009).]

rogergarrison

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
I also used an 88 Corvette pump since I had one laying around for my 88 vette
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

I also used an 88 Corvette pump since I had one laying around for my 88 vette

Same here,I have one of the truck pumps with a lifetime warranty so FREEBIE.

I've been contemplating running a small bit of nitrous with the 3.1 turbo,as I have at least one full kit laying around here.
I've yet to do the math on what kind of fuel flow i'll need with my new injectors vs nitrous etc.. but i'm sure it will be way less than 60 gph-i'm not running 500hp here so i'm sure it'll be fine.
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 11:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:

The fuel pump for an 88 corvette (all models) is an E3210
Specs are the same gallon per hour rating as the fiero pump,with a higher 65-95psi pressure rating.
So your not actually getting anything more from it other than capability of handling a higher pressure load.
E3210
Fitting Size: Outlet - 5/16
Fitting Type: Inlet - filter, outlet - hose connection
Gallons Per Hour: 40
Pressure Rating: 65-95 psi
Warranty: 1yr

It list's at Autozone retail for $51.99

What about a '96 Vette? That's what I'm running in the Northstar car. That supplied fuel for a 330(+) HP LT4 just fine...
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 198
Rate this member

Report this Post12-01-2009 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
Hey guys,

I'm just curious, is there ANY benefit to one of these upgraded fuel pumps when all you have is say, a 3.1 stroker kit with 17lb fuel injectors on a stock fuel rail?

Furthermore, is there any benefit to this at all on a totally stock V6 Fiero? (other than the fact that it's brand new).
Thanks,

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
When you get right down to it,if your not running out of fuel or having pressure drop issues at high rpm/high load then no I can't think of any great reason to do it.
My pump already has some slight issues,and i'm swapping in a 3.1 turbo.
I'll bet a stock pump would be fine for my meager needs,but I need one and the upgrade is free.

I'm the type of guy that figures why replace for x amount when you can upgrade for only twice the price.
And if it's free,it's usually a no-brainer.
fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-02-2009 02:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post
I ran that 97 Vortec Truck pump in my 4.3 CPI fiero for about 8 months - it is plug and play. The whine from it was quite loud and became annoying on day 2. I replaced it with the whisper quite Vette pump and haven't regretted it.

The one in my actual 97 Vortec truck is even louder...
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

I ran that 97 Vortec Truck pump in my 4.3 CPI fiero for about 8 months - it is plug and play. The whine from it was quite loud and became annoying on day 2. I replaced it with the whisper quite Vette pump and haven't regretted it.

Yeah,I can hear the pumps in both my yukons (2dr and 4dr) they are loud.
I thought about this for a few minutes,but disregarded it since i'm waiting for a 100 sqft of Fatmat from the FedEx man

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post12-03-2009 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The other thing I forgot... on long drives the 97 truck pump seemed to overheat and momentarily shut off. Started on the interstate where when I got to the last 1/4 of tank after a couple hrs of constant driving the car would stall out. I coast to a stop and it would start back up and be good till I got to a gas station. Filling it up with cool gas would "fix it" until after another lengthy drive. Over time it gradually got worse and to the point that it would do it on my 19 mile commute... then it got yanked.

PFF
System Bot
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post04-01-2010 12:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

What about a '96 Vette? That's what I'm running in the Northstar car. That supplied fuel for a 330(+) HP LT4 just fine...

I know this is an old topic, but I'm going to be switching out my walbro for one of these. That 96 vette also calls for the 3270 fuel pump.
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Just thought i would post up,i've been having fuel pump issues.
I replaced the stock pump with the E3270,ran for about a week then died on me when I filled up the tank.
Pump was bad so replaced it,now just got it towed home-was dropping out fuel and died.

I have verified all the wiring previously when the pump went bad,and know it is good-while I was in there I bypassed the oil pressure switch with an overlay.
Will of course recheck the wiring,but pretty sure the pump is shot.
Starting to think this is just a crap china pump-which I hate to admit as I work for the establishment who sells them.

Am going to do some figurin' and make sure there isn't an issue with the lower pressure or something that is killing the pump.
I've been wanting/meaning to wire my own fuel pump circuit,guess it's time.

Not sure yet if i'll warranty this pump again or just go with an EP375 delco pump.
Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 01:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
The equivalent to the Airtex E3270 is the AC Delco EP381, if you wanted to stick with the higher flowing pump.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 05:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
The late 80's Vette pump (Delco EP376) will put out enough fuel to support over 300HP. They are a direct fit and run quiet. As long as you don't go crazy with boost and mods you can even use one on a 3800SC. The Walbro that I had was driving me crazy so I popped in the Vette pump and so far so good. Just one tip. Whatever pump you use MAKE SURE that you use SAE J30R10 submersible fuel line for the in tank pump to line connection. If you use std SAE J30R10 fuel injection hose, you will be doing the job again in a few months.

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

Jncomutt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JncomuttSend a Private Message to JncomuttDirect Link to This Post
But if you're buying a new fuel pump for a swap, why not just get the EP381, it is ALSO a direct swap, and should be higher output....
Hudini

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2010 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for HudiniSend a Private Message to HudiniDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DefEddie:
with the 3.1 turbo

What kind of boost are you running? With what size injectors? And running what fuel? Stock pressure?

I'm running the vette pump at stock pressure and found I needed bigger than 30lb injectors with E85 at 15lbs boost. 100% saturation barely keeps me at 14.5 to 1 and the engine knocks. I backed the boost down and the engine runs fine, just not as much power.

DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2010 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
I ended up just picking up the E3210 from work.
Besides the 88 vette,it's also the stock pump for the TGP.
Sounded like a no-brainer to me.

DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2010 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
My sending unit assembly had broken the brazing around the pipes entering the top.
I welded it when I replaced the fuel pump,but it was broken again.
Bit the bullet and pulled one from my 86 parts car.
Design is slightly different,ground goes on the top of the sending unit and the pump and sending cartridge ground to the pipe.
I installed the wiring from the 88 into the top of 86 sending unit,but decided to test the sending unit before I dropped everything in.
Sending unit was dead,dissassembled and barely got a reading with the probes a few mm from each other on the needle after aggressive cleaning.
So busted the plastic rivits on both cartridges and installing the 88 cartridge on the 86 unit.
Should be finished tomorrow,all the cool epoxies etc.. are in my toolbox at work.
Think i've got a fusor cartridge that would be perfect for this.
I plan to splice the ground wire attached to the top of the sending unit into the factory 88 ground-can never have too many grounds.

Houdini,I plan to run 10psi boost daily and about 15 max at the local strip on the weekend.
Haven't decided on injector's yet,did the math but have several suitable sets and styles so i'll see which have the best spray pattern on my machine.
I won't be running that big though or running E85,I will up the pressure slightly though for the better atomization-one of the reasons I will be going with a smaller injector than the 30's. I have them though so if they are needed then i'll use them.
I've got nitrous but not for sure if it'll be installed or not,if so I will revisit the pump again.
I have a stand alone fuel system for the nitrous that I used on my motorcycle,it could be installed but that seems kinda stupid to me.
The bike required it,no sense in it here I don't think.

I do plan to rebuild the old sending assembly with AN fitting's for the top.

[This message has been edited by DefEddie (edited 05-25-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock