Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Update you turn light and not a LED item...

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Update you turn light and not a LED item... by theogre
Started on: 11-28-2009 07:27 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: americasfuture2k on 12-22-2010 04:36 PM
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 07:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Upgrade you turn light? And no LED option?

Buy a new flasher!

Flasher go weak long before they go dead. You flasher is likely original flasher in the car. In Fiero, that means 20-25 years.

Better yet... Buy a electronic unit. Unlike thermal flashers, this runs faster and load doesn't matter. (1-10 bulb) Also... Blow a light bulb and the rest still work. One gotcha... Check your bulbs more often.

Electro-mechanical unit.
Tridon EL12 Standard noise
Tridon LF12 Loud noise (Yes, they are Loud. Think UPS trunk.)
Both appox $10

Tridon LL552, Bulb Load 1-6 lamp, appox $7. Do Not use for hazard circuit!

What about the hazard flasher?
If you want it... use part # above. Hazard flashers usually doesn't wear out. (It doesn't get use like turn signal.)

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TopNotch

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2009 09:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TopNotchClick Here to visit TopNotch's HomePageSend a Private Message to TopNotchDirect Link to This Post
I need one of those high noise units. I leave my flasher on sometimes in my 88 because I can't hear it. The one in my 86 is much louder. I replaced the one in my 88 with a new standard one, but it's still too quiet.
theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 10:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
It still in the clip on left side of the steering column support?

EL12 is one I have. Not very loud. Same or quieter as thermal unit. I use the chip and it OK on noise for me.
FierociousGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post
Good post. What is the difference between:

TRIDON-LF12-C
TRIDON-LF12-K
DefEddie

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DefEddieSend a Private Message to DefEddieDirect Link to This Post
Probably reverse polarity or connection.
americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 10:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FierociousGT:

Good post. What is the difference between:

TRIDON-LF12-C
TRIDON-LF12-K

one is louder, as the package says. there is a difference between the hazards and the turns. hazards have more of a load since all the bulbs are lit at once.

EVERYONE: change over to the electronic units! you will be very pleased now i need to get a spare to hack apart and make a variable flash rate

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

theogre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 10:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
LF12-K is Three pin. Fiero won't fit.

LF12-C is Two pin. I don't know if C means anything or not. They don't list one.

See Tridon here http://www.novitatech.com/tridonflashers.html Email them.

Originally posted by americasfuture2k:
there is a difference between the hazards and the turns. hazards have more of a load since all the bulbs are lit at once.

No... LF12 and EL12 can handle hazard or turn signal. 1 to 10 bulb load. In Fiero, hazard and trailer is just fine.

Old thermal unit had different flasher. A light one for turn signal and a heavy duty one for hazard.

------------------
Dr. Ian Malcolm: Yeah, but your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.
(Jurassic Park)

The Ogre's Fiero Cave (It's also at the top of every forum page...)

Fiero-in-Paradise

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-29-2009 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero-in-ParadiseSend a Private Message to Fiero-in-ParadiseDirect Link to This Post
The Tridon electronic flasher lasted me about two years in my 88GT (daily driver). When I went to Checker to replace it, all they had in stock (electronic type) was "Blazer" brand. There were two models, so I went with the one marked "Heavy Duty." Glad I did, it's nice and loud. And it seems to have a slightly faster blink rate than the Tridon electronic model I had.
FierociousGT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post11-30-2009 09:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierociousGTSend a Private Message to FierociousGTDirect Link to This Post

[This message has been edited by FierociousGT (edited 11-30-2009).]

americasfuture2k

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post12-22-2010 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
now all there is to do is to hack one of these apart to figure out how to adjust the flashrate.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock