Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3.6 Direct Injected V6 Camaro engine swap?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

3.6 Direct Injected V6 Camaro engine swap? by Rick 88
Started on: 10-23-2009 04:05 PM
Replies: 37
Last post by: katore8105 on 07-02-2010 07:46 PM
Rick 88

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 04:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
I drove a new Camaro with the 3.6 Direct Injected engine with a 6 speed, and it ran great! I think this is still a 60 degree V6, correct? I can imagine it in a much ligher Fiero attached to a 5 or 6 speed. It is also is capable of high rpms which would be a natural for a Fiero. Is anyone contemplating or already working on a swap like this. 304 horsepower and 29 mpg highway in a Camaro plus a 5.9-6.0 zero to sixty time. In a 1000 lb lighter Fiero I am sure it would be noticeably quicker.

[This message has been edited by Rick 88 (edited 10-23-2009).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
joshh44

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 04:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for joshh44Send a Private Message to joshh44Direct Link to This Post
im sure that engine isnt cheap. since it being a new engine. im sure in the next few years or so. they will be alittle cheaper. and maybe some even at the auto wreckers from cars that been in an accedent?
anyways
i think that would be quite lovly in a fiero think it will fit with out any major modifications?
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 04:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
They actually started using them in the 08 Caddy CTS. Those run really well also with the 6 speed auto. I have seen some low mileage take outs on the net, but I would not even know where to start on the electricals. I guess we need a " V6 Archie" to do a plug and play harness.
kevin

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kevinSend a Private Message to kevinDirect Link to This Post
How about Fast Fiero in Dallas? I think he might be the one to crack those electronics. You out there Larry?

Cordially,
Kevin
P Mag V8

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for P Mag V8Send a Private Message to P Mag V8Direct Link to This Post
Speaking as a Service Manager for a local Chevy Dealership,The direct injection V6 is an outstanding engine. Smooth and rev happy, difficult swap... but anthing is possible...I wonder if they would miss the one out of the Camaro in the showroom??? Hmmmm
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 08:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
I would be very interested in this engine attached to an f40 6-speed transaxle in a Fiero. I understand the f40 does not have ideal ratios, but with the rpm range of the 3.6, I think it would not be an isssue.
skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-23-2009 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post
My guess... It won't be long until we see it swapped. Look at what has been done already.
VR6, TDI, BMW v12, etc.

This -is- a GM engine after all. I'm sure somebody will do it soon enough. Then there will be a standard.
RickN

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 72
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RickNSend a Private Message to RickNDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rick 88:

I drove a new Camaro with the 3.6 Direct Injected engine with a 6 speed, and it ran great! I think this is still a 60 degree V6, correct? I can imagine it in a much ligher Fiero attached to a 5 or 6 speed. It is also is capable of high rpms which would be a natural for a Fiero. Is anyone contemplating or already working on a swap like this. 304 horsepower and 29 mpg highway in a Camaro plus a 5.9-6.0 zero to sixty time. In a 1000 lb lighter Fiero I am sure it would be noticeably quicker.

"...3.6-liter VVT DI

The 3.6-liter VVT DI is based on GM Powertrain’s sophisticated 60-degree dual overhead cam (DOHC) V-6 engine. ..."

I found a few articles on the net that say it's a 60 degree engine. One of the guys at work rented a new Camaro to drive from Indy to St Louis and back, he loved it. He said it had lots of power.

------------------
RickN
White 88GT 5spd
White 85GT Auto
White 99 F250SD 7.3PSD 6spd
1956 Ford 860 Tractor w/ Freeman Loader
20Ft H&H Tilt Bed Trailer

[This message has been edited by RickN (edited 10-24-2009).]

BluEyes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BluEyesSend a Private Message to BluEyesDirect Link to This Post
It is a 60* V6, but it does NOT have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Fieros 60* V6 . Right now there are a few transmission options out there for mounting this in a Fiero without using an adapter plate. The GM 6T70 used in the Lambda SUV's, V6 Malibu, etc and transmissions from the SAAB Aero models that come with the 2.8L turbo engine. I am not 100% sure on the SAAB but it should have the same bolt pattern and would give a manual option.
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 02:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BluEyes:

It is a 60* V6, but it does NOT have the same bellhousing bolt pattern as the Fieros 60* V6 . Right now there are a few transmission options out there for mounting this in a Fiero without using an adapter plate. The GM 6T70 used in the Lambda SUV's, V6 Malibu, etc and transmissions from the SAAB Aero models that come with the 2.8L turbo engine. I am not 100% sure on the SAAB but it should have the same bolt pattern and would give a manual option.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Saab 2.8 turbo is essentially the same block (different bore and stroke) as the 3.6 VVT and uses the F40 6 speed. I can't confirm myself, but in theory, the F40 should bolt directly to the 3.6VVT...why would GM used two different bolt patterns for essentially the same block...makes no sense.

[This message has been edited by Eau_Rouge (edited 10-24-2009).]

Isolde

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 133
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 03:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IsoldeSend a Private Message to IsoldeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Eau_Rouge:

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Saab 2.8 turbo is essentially the same block (different bore and stroke) as the 3.6 VVT and uses the F40 6 speed. I can't confirm myself, but in theory, the F40 should bolt directly to the 3.6VVT...why would GM used two different bolt patterns for essentially the same block...makes no sense.

Yeah, like the LS4 and all other LSx variants. GM is stupid that way. They should've just done a 4T65E-HD with the LSx bellhousing pattern. Then the SBC and 4.3 guys would really want it.
PFF
System Bot
katatak

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 82
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 06:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katatakSend a Private Message to katatakDirect Link to This Post
Rick, all you got to do is sneak one of those V6 Camaro's off the lot - we can figure out the rest. I wonder if the dealership would notice the New Camaro with your old 2.8 in it? Even better, I bet Dan has one on the rental lot! I do believe that the Electronics would be a lot to deal with though.

Pat

skuzzbomer

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 92
Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for skuzzbomerSend a Private Message to skuzzbomerDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

I do believe that the Electronics would be a lot to deal with though.

Just swap everything over- dash and all. (might be a bit time consuming)
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by katatak:

Rick, all you got to do is sneak one of those V6 Camaro's off the lot - we can figure out the rest. I wonder if the dealership would notice the New Camaro with your old 2.8 in it? Even better, I bet Dan has one on the rental lot! I do believe that the Electronics would be a lot to deal with though.

Pat

I don't think any got totaled out in the eastside hail storm. Pat you need to drive one with a 6-speed. It is amazing how this engine revs. I would take one with the 6-speed manual G6 tranny. Bet I could suprise a lot of people with this set up and I think it would sound great with the right muffler. The Camaro mufflers leave a little to be desired as far as sound quality.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 07:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Rick 88

3914 posts
Member since Aug 2001

Can someone confirm this? We need a Saab technicians input.
Eau_Rouge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Eau_RougeSend a Private Message to Eau_RougeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Isolde:

Yeah, like the LS4 and all other LSx variants. GM is stupid that way. They should've just done a 4T65E-HD with the LSx bellhousing pattern. Then the SBC and 4.3 guys would really want it.

Regarding the LS4 having a different bolt pattern, I can understand, after all the LS motors were initially designed for RWD applications only. It was only when GM decided to apply it to FWD that the bolt pattern had to change to one that worked with FWD bolt pattern transmissions as the LSx RWD bolt pattern doesn't bolt direclty to any FWD transmission - correct?

From what I have heard, the 3.6VVT block and all it's displacement variations were developed by GM with FWD and RWD applications in mind and from what I recall, I believe someone has stated and posted pics that this block has two bolt patterns designed and built into each block. Maybe those of us who hope that it will mate directly to the F40 6 speed will be pleasantly surprised.

Didn't the G6 use the same automatic transmission with the 3.9 V6 and the 3.6VVT? Something to look into...

Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-24-2009 11:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Regarding the LS4 having a different bolt pattern, I can understand, after all the LS motors were initially designed for RWD applications only. It was only when GM decided to apply it to FWD that the bolt pattern had to change to one that worked with FWD bolt pattern transmissions as the LSx RWD bolt pattern doesn't bolt direclty to any FWD transmission - correct?

From what I have heard, the 3.6VVT block and all it's displacement variations were developed by GM with FWD and RWD applications in mind and from what I recall, I believe someone has stated and posted pics that this block has two bolt patterns designed and built into each block. Maybe those of us who hope that it will mate directly to the F40 6 speed will be pleasantly surprised.

Didn't the G6 use the same automatic transmission with the 3.9 V6 and the 3.6VVT? Something to look into...

My wife had a 2006 Malibu SS with the 3.9 and 4 speed auto. Her new CTS has the 3.6 DI with the 6 speed auto. I am not sure on the bellhousings. I also drove an older G6 GXP that had a 3.9 with a 6-speed manual. So, I would think the the manual tranny might bolt up to the 3.6. The 3.9 was a nice motor in the SS. It would move a Fiero around very well also.
ghost187x

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 02:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ghost187xSend a Private Message to ghost187xDirect Link to This Post
you guys need to research the forums lol.

the saab 2.8 motor uses a different six speed. that six speed wll bolt on to the LLT. the g6 six speed will not.
theres a website that offers the motor and computer harness, but it was expensive.
i have been told that the computer is hard to crack. the engine will not operate without the little things. its real complicated from what i was told...

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/084103.html
http://www.mechtech-ms.com/ctsv6.php
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 03:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

They use multiple bolt patterns on the transmission. The F40 has been built with at least three (four?) different bellhousing patterns.

The high feature V6 (new 2.8, 3.0 and 3.6) has a unique bellhousing pattern that nothing else shares.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 10-25-2009).]

BluEyes

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2009 10:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BluEyesSend a Private Message to BluEyesDirect Link to This Post

why would GM used two different bolt patterns for essentially the same block...makes no sense.

Because the HFV6 block is not essentially the same block as the classic 60* 6's. They both share the same V angle and cylinder count, maybe bore spacing, but that's about it. I have seen bare blocks for these motors and they are entirely different from ours. Everything from the different front for the DOHC timing chains, no valley (there is a water passage there to feed the water pump) and oil drainback runs in passages down the outside of the 'V'.

However, the 3.6 and its relatives do all use the same bolt pattern whether FWD or RWD but I believe that there is no 4 speed auto that will bolt to it, only 6 speeds.
fierocarparts

Feedback score:    (66)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
With this engine becoming so common, Any details on a swap that has been done? I've searched (a little) and haven't found anything. Looking at the next generation swap.

------------------
When life gives you lemons, thank them for the Fiero.

PFF
System Bot
TrotFox

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 11:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TrotFoxSend a Private Message to TrotFoxDirect Link to This Post
About this swap I can only say,

YES PLEASE!!!

I love the sound of the 2.8 that's already in my car and the SIDI series lives up to the efficiency I would like to have. That's both weight to power and fuel mileage efficiency I'm talking about... This is the motor I've been waiting for and when the time comes for a major upgrade This is what I want in my car. It may get a 3.4 in the interim if the 2.8 goes belly-up soon but eventually, the SIDI 3.6 is what I dream about. :)

Trot, the Formulating, fox...

------------------
| /\_/\ TrotFox \ Always remember,
| ( o o ) AKA Landon Solomon \ "There is a
| >\_/< trotfox at gmail.com \ third alternative."

FastFieros

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 265
Rate this member

Report this Post11-12-2009 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastFierosClick Here to visit FastFieros's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastFierosDirect Link to This Post
I looked into this engine. There is a 252HP version and a 305HP version. The 305HP is on the 6T75. It is of course the HFV6 as they are calling it today.

$8800 turnkey for a nice 6k or less engine and trans installed turnkey on the 305HP version. I suspect I would have alot more into it, but being the first one, you have to start somewhere. No adapter plates going this direction wtih the combination.

First available swap date is in January at this time. 3 3800SC swaps are in progress right now.

http://www.fastfieros.com/projects of the future already in progress.
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-13-2009 09:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Loyde,
Would this be auto or does it have to go stick?
Thanks,
Steve

------------------
When life gives you lemons, thank them for the Fiero.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post11-14-2009 01:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I have often thought that the 252 HP version with the 6 speed automatic (6T75?) which was available in the G6 GXP, would make an excellent swap into a Fiero.
My wife's mom has the same engine in a CTS, and it certainly isn't slow.
If the transverse transaxle has the same gear spacing as the longitudinal version, it would be sweet indeed!
Darth indicated to me that he thought he could crack the PCM.

This is a swap I hope to try at some point.

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

sYkboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2009 09:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sYkboySend a Private Message to sYkboyDirect Link to This Post
This should make it easier. Anyone who has a 3800 swap should already be half way there. I may do this someday. Not sure if you could use the SIDI but would make the 3.6 easier.

http://archives.media.gm.co...acrosse/index05.html
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2009 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by sYkboy:

This should make it easier. Anyone who has a 3800 swap should already be half way there. I may do this someday. Not sure if you could use the SIDI but would make the 3.6 easier.

http://archives.media.gm.co...acrosse/index05.html

6700 rpm redline according to the information. Now we are talking! This is the engine swap for a Fiero. It should sound great.
fierocarparts

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierocarpartsSend a Private Message to fierocarpartsDirect Link to This Post
Any updates or is it a national security issue?
Found this info:
http://www.gmpowertrain.ca/...DI/LLT%20Summary.pdf

------------------
Life is just SO much better when you own AND drive a Fiero!

[This message has been edited by fierocarparts (edited 04-21-2010).]

Traveltop

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TraveltopSend a Private Message to TraveltopDirect Link to This Post
I second the update request... I was looking into purchasing a 4.6L Northstar engine for my swap, but I think I will wait abit more and see if this engine is the next big thing.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-21-2010 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierocarparts:

Any updates or is it a national security issue?
Found this info:
http://www.gmpowertrain.ca/...DI/LLT%20Summary.pdf

Definitely National Security...... I really want one of these engines in my Fiero......
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 02:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post
So has anyone confirmed the bell housing pattern and that of a MT to fit the vvt sidi? Its been a while since I have seen this talked about and would like to see what others have come up with.

Edit to add: some good information on it here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLT#LLT

[This message has been edited by katore8105 (edited 06-27-2010).]

PFF
System Bot
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 03:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK, the only FWD manual transmission that will bolt up to this engine is the F40 out of a '08+ Saab 9-3 with turbo 2.8.
Rick 88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-27-2010 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rick 88Send a Private Message to Rick 88Direct Link to This Post
I saw a complete Saab 2.8 Turbo with the six speed manual on ebay recently. However the trans was set up for all wheel drive.

Would the Malibu six speed auto with paddle shift bolt up to the DI motor?
ConvictedRedneck

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 12:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ConvictedRedneckSend a Private Message to ConvictedRedneckDirect Link to This Post
Somebody do it!
http://www.youtube.com/watc...Fglo&feature=related

Edit:

Pleeease! http://www.youtube.com/user...n#p/u/14/tVoBGgWtU_k

P.S. How do I embed youtube vids?

[This message has been edited by ConvictedRedneck (edited 06-28-2010).]

iluvsd619

Feedback score:    (25)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 03:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvsd619Send a Private Message to iluvsd619Direct Link to This Post
Yes someone do it! So we can go turbo with it too!

http://www.youtube.com/watc...37PU&feature=related
Carcenomy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CarcenomyClick Here to visit Carcenomy's HomePageSend a Private Message to CarcenomyDirect Link to This Post
Oh how I'd love to do this... they're even starting to become reasonably available here...

I will look into it one day, but my 2.8's too healthy to throw away so soon. Soon as my good friend Fred has his DIYEFI system running, I'll have another ponder...

If someone wants to beat me to the punch I'm more than willing to watch and witness the results.

------------------

kikinz24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kikinz24Send a Private Message to kikinz24Direct Link to This Post
There is a lot I mean aolt of work involved in swapping this motor in. I have all the info on my laptop when I get home ill post what trans goes up to the motor. I was originally planning on doing a 2.8 twin turbo. Which is the motor out of the saab turbo x in europe. Same 2.8 as the new caddys just tweaked a bit. 325hp from the factory on the saab. Its a lot of electrical work. The drive by wire setup. The pcm needs the gauge cluster in order to run I mean you would need to do a full harness and dash swap. Its doable but deff too much for my liking. But thoswe motors sound sick with a 2.5in exhaust and flowmasters. Deep low end and high rev pitch. Just sounds wonderus.
katore8105

Feedback score:    (28)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-02-2010 07:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for katore8105Click Here to visit katore8105's HomePageSend a Private Message to katore8105Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by kikinz24:

There is a lot I mean aolt of work involved in swapping this motor in. I have all the info on my laptop when I get home ill post what trans goes up to the motor. I was originally planning on doing a 2.8 twin turbo. Which is the motor out of the saab turbo x in europe. Same 2.8 as the new caddys just tweaked a bit. 325hp from the factory on the saab. Its a lot of electrical work. The drive by wire setup. The pcm needs the gauge cluster in order to run I mean you would need to do a full harness and dash swap. Its doable but deff too much for my liking. But thoswe motors sound sick with a 2.5in exhaust and flowmasters. Deep low end and high rev pitch. Just sounds wonderus.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock