GT Sail Panels by steve1173
Started on: 08-26-2009 09:15 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: JimmyS on 09-04-2010 12:03 AM
steve1173

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for steve1173Send a Private Message to steve1173Direct Link to This Post
My mechanic removed the GT sail panels without breaking as they were loose & ready to fly. He wants to put them on again without using doublesided tape as he feels they will fit better. Don't know if they are original of aftermarket. Is there any adhesive that would hold. It looks like one side was held by tape & the other was held by black adhesive.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Iowa GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 10:55 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Iowa GTSend a Private Message to Iowa GTDirect Link to This Post
The double-sided trim adhesive tape should work provided both surfaces are properly cleaned before application. I have never had a problem with a trim piece coming off when I used the stuff. If you use some other type of adhesive, you risk not being able to get those sail panels off without breaking them, i.e. if you wanted to do an all-over paint job. Just my $0.02 though.
whodeanie

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 01:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for whodeanieClick Here to visit whodeanie's HomePageSend a Private Message to whodeanieDirect Link to This Post
use only 3M black High bond tape. it is the only tape that will hold and if you glue them on you will never get them back off again if you need to.
they came with high bond tape from the factory.
DougC

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 03:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DougCSend a Private Message to DougCDirect Link to This Post
As I learned from my mistake, DO NOT USE 3M double sided tape, Stock No. 06384, which is what is recommended on FieroSails.com that is for the notchback sails, not the GT. I guess it's just not tall enough to get a good grab on the GT version.

I'm going to go cry over my wallet now.
seadog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seadogSend a Private Message to seadogDirect Link to This Post
Man I am glad I saw this! I was about to use 3M 06384 on shark- grill panels.
There seems to be different 3M high bond black double sided tapes.
Does any one know the correct one or part number to use for this?

Ah it looks like VHB 5652 might be it... but the thickness is 1.10 mm - 06384 is 1.14 mm thick.
I am confused.

[This message has been edited by seadog (edited 08-26-2009).]

JimmyS

Feedback score:    (31)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 124
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 05:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post
Call Doug Kinney at www.fierowarehouse.com

He sells the "correct" tape for the GT style sail windows.

Also, it is probably not a good idea to use tape on aftermarket fiberglass sails. It is best to use Black Silicone Adhesive. You can buy it at your local hardware store. Don't buy the cheap stuff either. Spend the extra $2 and get the GE Silicone II in Black.

[This message has been edited by JimmyS (edited 08-26-2009).]

seadog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 06:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for seadogSend a Private Message to seadogDirect Link to This Post
Jimmy, good info for a tape source.
For the fiberglass panels, I will use the black adhesive I want them secure.
Try to make it to a Suncoast Fieros meet one of these days, Would like to see your car in person.
D2inDFW

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 10:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for D2inDFWClick Here to visit D2inDFW's HomePageSend a Private Message to D2inDFWDirect Link to This Post
Folks

Has anyone seen a pair of the Fiero Warehouse's Gen II GT Sail Panels installed? If so, what do you think about them?

Regards,

David
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2009 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by seadog:

Jimmy, good info for a tape source.
For the fiberglass panels, I will use the black adhesive I want them secure.
Try to make it to a Suncoast Fieros meet one of these days, Would like to see your car in person.

PM sent
jim

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-03-2010 02:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jimSend a Private Message to jimDirect Link to This Post
I know this is old thread but could anyone provide the part number for the tape needed on a GT?
JimmyS

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-04-2010 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JimmySClick Here to visit JimmyS's HomePageSend a Private Message to JimmySDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jim:

I know this is old thread but could anyone provide the part number for the tape needed on a GT?

I do not know the correct part number but I do know that the correct tape only comes in a very large roll and is quite expensive.

Call Doug Kinney at www.fierowarehouse.com

He sells the "correct" tape for the GT style sail windows, and will sell you just enough to do 2 windows. It will save you a lot of money not having to buy a large roll just for 2 windows.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock