Started on: 07-13-2009 01:59 PM
Replies: 25
Last post by: Darth Fiero on 07-28-2010 02:18 AM
JamesCurtis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 64
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 01:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Hey guys, I am pre-planning the exhaust and I need to know if it's possible to setup the exhaust on a fiero with a 3800 without cutting the trunk that is not unbearably loud. I have clearance from the local exhaust shop to get the exhaust installed minus a cat. Can I install an exhaust system that doesn't make my ears bleed at cruising speeds without cutting the trunk, and if so what type of setup would you recommend?

------------------

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 04:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
It seems that Darth Fiero has convinced me into a single in dual out muffler as opposed to a dual-glasspack setup. Has anyone else had good experiences with holley's flow-tech terminator mufflers? I'm specifically looking at a single 3" in, dual 2.5" out.
Mike Gonzalez

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
I am using a Flowmaster 2.5 in dual 2.5 out....Its a little loud, but not so bad it drives me crazy !
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 04:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
Would that be an 80 series, and did you have to modify it?
Mike Gonzalez

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 130
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike GonzalezSend a Private Message to Mike GonzalezDirect Link to This Post
Yes, 80 series. Nope didnt modify the muffler, just enlaged the area it fits into on the cradle. Not much to make it fit.
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
Magnaflow part # 12158 is a single 2.5" in dual 2.5" out replacement muffler for the Camaro that is 4 inches shorter so it fits nicely.
It is a little loud but nothing that will get you pulled over and will fir with the trunk left fully intact. Dan
smartaxel

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for smartaxelClick Here to visit smartaxel's HomePageSend a Private Message to smartaxelDirect Link to This Post
The Magnaflow looks like the exhaust enters on the single side and exits from both ports on the other side. How do you plumb that? Dont you need the "in" on the side with the duals?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 09:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

Magnaflow part # 12158 is a single 2.5" in dual 2.5" out replacement muffler for the Camaro that is 4 inches shorter so it fits nicely.
It is a little loud but nothing that will get you pulled over and will fir with the trunk left fully intact. Dan

This has been my muffler of choice, but I cut the trunk each time.

Very good highway manners, but quite loud when you are hammering on it.
Rolling Thunder

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 10:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rolling ThunderSend a Private Message to Rolling ThunderDirect Link to This Post
I too am looking for a good 3800 muffler. I mainly want something that has little drone on the highway with my getrag.
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-50363FLT/

Same size as stock but bigger inlet and outlets
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
ride, is that the muffler that you're using?
PFF
System Bot
RideZiLightning

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 153
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 11:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RideZiLightningSend a Private Message to RideZiLightningDirect Link to This Post
Yessir, have numerous times

Sounds good, no drone, can be a little loud when you get on it, but it's definitely not bad
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2009 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
When I mash the throttle I hope it will be loud, sounds like the muffler I've been looking for at a great price! Thumbs up to you

------------------

Lilchief

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LilchiefSend a Private Message to LilchiefDirect Link to This Post
Darth did my exhaust using the flow tech muffler. Did alot better than most pro exhaust shops and used all mandrel bent pipe 3".This is with a 3.4, FOCOA headers 2.25" cross over into a 3"y and a glasspack where the cat use to be and Hooker dual resonator tips. I wouldn't want it any louder.

------------------

85 GT 3.4
14.9 @ 90 1.9 60' Old TH125/3.06
Unknown New 4T60/3.42

Samohtneas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 03:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SamohtneasSend a Private Message to SamohtneasDirect Link to This Post
Gonna keep this thread in mind.. I'll need this advice eventually!
revin

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 234
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 09:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for revinSend a Private Message to revinDirect Link to This Post
spintek muffler all the way.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2009 09:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RideZiLightning:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BIG-50363FLT/

Same size as stock but bigger inlet and outlets

This is what my 3800SC swap uses . Flotech Afterburner 3" in and dual 2 1/2" outs. Flows well but is just a bit loud. Can be made a bit more mellow with a pair of Heddman Hot Tips Dual resonators. Best benefit is that this muffler fits without any cutting or modifcations to the trunk

------------------
" THE BLACK PARALYZER" -87GT 3800SC Series III engine, 3.4" Pulley, N* TB, LS1 MAF, Flotech Exhaust Autolite 104's Custom CAI 4T65eHD w. custom axles, HP Tuners VCM Suite.
"THE COLUSSUS"
87GT - ALL OUT 3.4L Turbocharged engine, Garrett Hybrid Turbo, MSD ign., modified TH125H
" ON THE LOOSE WITHOUT THE JUICE "

americasfuture2k

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 105
Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 02:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for americasfuture2kSend a Private Message to americasfuture2kDirect Link to This Post
how was the back side header pipe fabbed to not hafta worry about cutting up the trunk?

------------------
First LX9 Fiero GT, 1987 | My Fiero Fuel Economy | MPG Display for OBD I
Youtube Videos of My GT | modernize your fiero with technology!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem
Fiero's are people too. We pay just as much attention to them, if not more than our loved ones
screw paying those bastards. im not going to become rich by paying for things.....

MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-28-2010 03:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
WCF headers & Exhaust with Spintech:

Trunk is intact!

Regards,

David
MountainHiBlue87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-29-2010 01:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MountainHiBlue87GTSend a Private Message to MountainHiBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
In response to Jame's comment about noise, the muffler is a specially made Spintec that is a bit larger and quieter and we added Cherry Bombs just before the exhaust tips because the tips have a megaphone effect

Regards,

David

[This message has been edited by MountainHiBlue87GT (edited 06-29-2010).]

TommyT913

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 08:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TommyT913Send a Private Message to TommyT913Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by MountainHiBlue87GT:

In response to Jame's comment about noise, the muffler is a specially made Spintec that is a bit larger and quieter and we added Cherry Bombs just before the exhaust tips because the tips have a megaphone effect

Regards,

David

I would love to hear a clip of this exhaust. Is it quiet? I'm looking for exhaust that's not much louder than the stock 2.8.

Tommy

PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:

This is what my 3800SC swap uses . Flotech Afterburner 3" in and dual 2 1/2" outs. Flows well but is just a bit loud. Can be made a bit more mellow with a pair of Heddman Hot Tips Dual resonators. Best benefit is that this muffler fits without any cutting or modifcations to the trunk

Have it on my Indy. Go without resonator tips if you want "really loud".

Flowtech Afterburner muffler PN 50363FLT
Hooker resonator tips PN 21430HKR

------------------
My World of Wheels Winners (Click on links below)

3.4L Supercharged 87 GT and Super Duty 4 Indy #163

2002z28ssconv

Feedback score:    (27)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 10:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2002z28ssconvClick Here to visit 2002z28ssconv's HomePageSend a Private Message to 2002z28ssconvDirect Link to This Post
I just ordered the Flowmaster 80 series. I plan to come out of the manifold, 90 to the driver's side, 180 down to the inlet.
Outlets will remain at the top and will exit through factory tips.
It probably won't sound like a sleeper, but it will look like it anyway...

I'll take pictures as I go and let you know how it turns out.
JamesCurtis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 09:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JamesCurtisSend a Private Message to JamesCurtisDirect Link to This Post
This is what I ended up with at a local muffler shop. 2.5" mandrel bent stainless.

[This message has been edited by JamesCurtis (edited 07-26-2010).]

ALJR

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-26-2010 11:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ALJRSend a Private Message to ALJRDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

This is what I ended up with at a local muffler shop. 2.5" mandrel bent stainless.

Thats gotta be loud?
Darth Fiero

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 361
Rate this member

Report this Post07-28-2010 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Darth FieroClick Here to visit Darth Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Darth FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by JamesCurtis:

It seems that Darth Fiero has convinced me into a single in dual out muffler as opposed to a dual-glasspack setup. Has anyone else had good experiences with holley's flow-tech terminator mufflers? I'm specifically looking at a single 3" in, dual 2.5" out.

Concerning DRONE...

I just completed a swap using this Terminator muffler and WCF headers and factory megaphone tips (no cat, resonators, or cherry bombs). The owner of the car was concerned with the amount of interior drone noise produced by the exhaust at highway speeds - as was I since this seems to be an ongoing issue with 3800 Fiero swaps when performance mufflers are used.

I tried something new with this latest swap I just completed. In the past when using factory manifolds, I ran 3" pipe from the manifold to the muffler using some 3" mandrel bends and a flex joint. Then I used 2.5" and mandrel bends out to the tips. In swaps where WCF headers were used, 2.5" tubing was used from the headers' y-pipe to the muffler since that is the max size of the y-pipe collector anyway. Still used 2.5" tubing from the muffler out to the dual tips. Always got lots of drone noise with either of these setups when using any performance muffler other than the Magnaflow 12267 (which does require a small amount of trunk cutting/modifying to fit).

The solution to the problem seems to be using smaller size pipe from the muffler to the tips. In this latest swap, I used only 2.0" dia tubing w/ mandrel bends out to the factory tips. There does not seem to be a lot of interior drone noise with this setup, certainly much less than compared to what I have heard before using the larger pipe from the muffler to the tips using any muffler other than the Magnaflow 12267. But I can tell you the amount of noise that exits the rear of the car seems to have increased. At least maybe that's my impression since less drone noise is now being transmitted to the interior of the car. This build has very light mods (pulley, induction, and exhaust - engine is otherwise stock), so I'm not overly concerned with the small outlet piping being too restrictive. On a heavier-modified swap I might be concerned about it.

So far the Magnaflow 12267 is the quietest muffler I have ever tried on a Fiero 3800 swap (even using the larger dia. outlet piping). The only drawback to this muffler is that it is too thick to fit between the trunk and the cradle which can be remedied if you notch the trunk (move the trunk wall facing the cradle in away from it by about 1" or 2" which is actually pretty easy to do; but welding is required. When doing this full trunk depth is retained, you just lose some area from front to back at the bottom of the trunk).

EDIT: To add a pic of the Magnaflow 12267 based exhaust system I built for a previous car...

------------------
7+ years on this same swap -- NO engine or transmission failures...

Custom GM OBD1 & OBD2 Tuning | Engine Conversions & more | www.gmtuners.com

[This message has been edited by Darth Fiero (edited 07-28-2010).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock