Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  what about Fiero Store "factory" WS6 springs??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

what about Fiero Store "factory" WS6 springs?? by fierosound
Started on: 06-01-2009 01:03 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: 82-T/A [At Work] on 10-29-2010 01:51 PM
fierosound

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2009 01:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Part #59020

84-87 FACTORY SPRING SET (front and rear)
Replace your factory suspension springs with The Fiero Store's OEM style replacements. These aftermarket springs are made to the GT WS6 style spring rates and heights. They will be a direct replacement for your GT or an upgrade to your non-GT Fiero.

Anybody bought these? Anyone have any idea who's making these? Moog, TRW?? Just want the front set.

Other than lowering springs galore, these are the only "factory" replacements I've seen anywhere. I'm just looking for NEW stock springs for my 87 GT with front lowering spindles, and I really don't need the rear springs from the set.

------------------

World of Wheels Winners
My 3.4L S/C 87 GT
& My SD4 Indy

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
dbmgmt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2009 11:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dbmgmtSend a Private Message to dbmgmtDirect Link to This Post
I recently purchased and installed these springs on my 87GT. I was replacing the previous owner's lowering springs. These were the ONLY springs I could find to raise the car back to it original stance.

Spring replacement went fine after I figured out what to do (with help from this forum).

The springs did raise the car all around. I probably raised the front a little more than I wanted. I'm not sure if I want to try and lower the front just a tad.

I'm not sure who makes the springs. Sorry!

Hope this helps,
Marty

------------------
=============================
1987 GT Owner
1984 Honda XL350R Owner
Love 'em both

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2009 06:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by dbmgmt:

I probably raised the front a little more than I wanted. I'm not sure if I want to try and lower the front just a tad.

Once it settles you'll likely be exactly where you want the car to sit.

Thanks. Anyone else?

82-T/A [At Work]

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 199
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post
I just finished putting my suspension back on it's own two feet (in the front at least) and I noticed that these new WS6 springs sit REALLY high. How long exactly does it take for them to settle? I suppose they'll do it after a few hundred miles or so?

Thanks!!!

------------------
Todd,
2008 Jeep Patriot Limited 4x2
2002 Ford Explorer Sport 2dr 4x2
2002 Ford Crown Victoria LX
1987 Pontiac Fiero SE / V6
1973 Volkswagen Type-2 Transporter

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2010 10:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
The ride height also depends on the choice of shock. Back when Fieros were new shocks did not have much gas charging if any at all. Now days just about every shock offered has a substantial amount of gas pre-charge which helps with the shock performance. The side effect is that it acts as a little extra spring constant for the vehicle which is seen in increased ride height.

If you changed your shocks when you did your suspension work this might be part of your increased ride height. I went with Koni front shocks as they have a low amount of gas pre-charge as compared to the more common parts store shocks. If you want to see what lift is being contributed by the shocks just simply disconnect them and see if the cars ride height changes at all.

Another factor which might be a contributor is bound up bushings. If you tightened up your suspension joints with the car supported by a jack you most likely have your bushings bound up giving the vehicle some additional spring constant as well.

With the car supported only by it's wheels loosen up the suspension joints (bushing locations only), move the car around a little and let it settle before tightening back up. It's kind of hard to do this if you don't have a lift but I have seen as much as 1" difference in ride height.

If the car is going to settle it will do it within the first couple trips around the block and only be worth fractions of an inch in my experience.
AL87

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AL87Send a Private Message to AL87Direct Link to This Post
The Fiero Store doesn't like to advertise the manufacturers of the parts they sell, but I have been told by them that they will supply
any specific information if requested. they said some of thier parts suppliers wish to remain "secret", so they don't advertise them.
pontiackid86

Feedback score:    (12)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 344
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 01:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pontiackid86Send a Private Message to pontiackid86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by AL87:

The Fiero Store doesn't like to advertise the manufacturers of the parts they sell, but I have been told by them that they will supply
any specific information if requested. they said some of thier parts suppliers wish to remain "secret", so they don't advertise them.

This is because a lot of there remade stuff is cheap china junk but its good to have them. I dont see that kinda following for any other car out there.

[This message has been edited by pontiackid86 (edited 10-27-2010).]

82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 08:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jefrysuko:

The ride height also depends on the choice of shock. Back when Fieros were new shocks did not have much gas charging if any at all. Now days just about every shock offered has a substantial amount of gas pre-charge which helps with the shock performance. The side effect is that it acts as a little extra spring constant for the vehicle which is seen in increased ride height.

If you changed your shocks when you did your suspension work this might be part of your increased ride height. I went with Koni front shocks as they have a low amount of gas pre-charge as compared to the more common parts store shocks. If you want to see what lift is being contributed by the shocks just simply disconnect them and see if the cars ride height changes at all.

Another factor which might be a contributor is bound up bushings. If you tightened up your suspension joints with the car supported by a jack you most likely have your bushings bound up giving the vehicle some additional spring constant as well.

With the car supported only by it's wheels loosen up the suspension joints (bushing locations only), move the car around a little and let it settle before tightening back up. It's kind of hard to do this if you don't have a lift but I have seen as much as 1" difference in ride height.

If the car is going to settle it will do it within the first couple trips around the block and only be worth fractions of an inch in my experience.

You know, I think you're right. I was positive that I had reminded myself to not tighten the bolts down... but I think I did it anyway... I'm going to have to fix this when I get it all back on the ground. (and not on dolleys). For what it's worth, the height I'm measuring is between the top of the tire and the top of the wheel arch. It's like half a foot...

Thanks!!!

------------------
Todd,

fieroguru

Feedback score:    (45)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 258
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2010 09:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroguruSend a Private Message to fieroguruDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pontiackid86:
This is because a lot of there remade stuff is cheap china junk but its good to have them. I dont see that kinda following for any other car out there.

The real reason is probably so you do not know the mfg part # and search google for the lowest cost vendor. Like their stabilizer bearings... their price is 84.95+ shipping. Since I know the mfg part # I can get them for $23.45 each ($46.90 for a pair) + shipping.

There is nothing wrong with marking up and reselling products... that is how businesses make $$.
82-T/A [At Work]

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-29-2010 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 82-T/A [At Work]Send a Private Message to 82-T/A [At Work]Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fieroguru:

The real reason is probably so you do not know the mfg part # and search google for the lowest cost vendor. Like their stabilizer bearings... their price is 84.95+ shipping. Since I know the mfg part # I can get them for $23.45 each ($46.90 for a pair) + shipping.

There is nothing wrong with marking up and reselling products... that is how businesses make $$.

I totally agree. I'm more than happy to pay a little more for products from a speciality shop that dedicates itself in just Fiero parts. The reason is, they've ALREADY done all the research for me on the parts. It really is great that I can go to FIEROSTORE.COM and essentially find pretty much everything I could want for my Fiero... all in one convenient location. Plus, if I EVER have a problem with anything they sell, they have ALWAYS refunded my money, given me a store credit, or shipped a new item out. They are excellent in every respect. Small price to pay...

------------------
Todd,

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors