Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How to install a Pontiac Vibe Stereo in your Fiero (writeup with pics)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How to install a Pontiac Vibe Stereo in your Fiero (writeup with pics) by Curlrup
Started on: 09-10-2008 02:18 PM
Replies: 20
Last post by: josef644 on 10-12-2010 07:00 PM
Curlrup

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 02:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
Well I got my new radio in. Here is how I did it. Thanks to cerulean for the idea and some tips on where to trim some fat.

Here is my radio $20 from Ebay, it had some button wear.

After some custom matched PPG basecoat I am ready for new graphics.

Here are the dry rub down graphics I made at work.

Graphics on, as easy as placing and rubbing.

Next some PPG Concept Clear coat textured across the front to protect those graphics.

Now for install. You need to remove your bezel on the front of your console, also pull the HVAC controls and let them hang. You need to trim the opening larger by about a 1/4 inch. Here is what you need to remove from the black plastic, and the metal shroud that goes over the plastic. I used a fiberglass cut off wheel on a cordless Dremel. The bar that runs under the HVAC contols I removed completely, you also need to get that pesky braket out of the back of the radio opening.

Now your new radio needs a trim. About 1/8 off the top of the front bezel on it.

Also there are a series of tabs you need to grind off the bottom, but you don't need to cut the bezel down. Now your radio shoul djust squeeze in the slot and the top of the radio bezel should just fit under the HVAC controls and be flush with the front face of the HAVC controls.

Now you need to trim out your Fiero Console bezel. There is a rib on the back of the bezel that runs across the bar that seperates the HVAC contols form the radio. Simply cut the top of the radio opening to that rib.

I fixed some cracks and scratches on my bezel and painted it GM gray and stippled a texture on it with some PPG Concept.

Then you put it all back together.

You will also need two wiring harnesses. One to plug into your exhisting radio plug, and one to wire into that harness that will plug into the Vibe radio. All of the wiring is the same the plugs are just diffrent, You will alsoneed to adapt your antenna plug. The Vibe radio has the newer smaller plug.

Now Ineed to get my new after market speakers in because the 20 year old stock speakers are shot.

Curly
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
ly41181

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ly41181Send a Private Message to ly41181Direct Link to This Post
Awesome work and looks great! Good job
arte444

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 03:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for arte444Send a Private Message to arte444Direct Link to This Post
Good job. I have a stereo out of a grand am, looks about the same. I haven't installed it yet because im not sure how to mount it in place.

[This message has been edited by arte444 (edited 09-10-2008).]

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 05:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Is the vibe a double-DIN size?
This opens up a whole new world.
I wasn't aware that it was that easy.
I've seen some real hack jobs done with double-DIN headunits, but yours looks great!

------------------
Raydar
88 4.9 Formula IMSA Fasback..........................88 3.4 coupe -soon to be something other than red

Read Nealz Nuze! Praise the Lowered!

jweisman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jweismanSend a Private Message to jweismanDirect Link to This Post
I thought those RDS radio's only work in the car they came from
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2008 08:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
The Vibe and Aveo radios were dumbed down to fit the Toyota and Daewoo chasis. So if you can get the plug for the radio some wire coming off you can wire directly into your exhisting harness or do what I did and buy a regular aftermarket pigtail that plugs into your exhisting radio plug and wire into that. Basically made an adapter cable to go from the Vibe plug to the big fat Fiero plug.

Also the Vibe radio is dumbed down so much I did not need to unock it. No codes on it, I gave it power and it lit up and started working.
chrismclubm

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2008 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chrismclubmSend a Private Message to chrismclubmDirect Link to This Post
i like the fiero decal, smart man!

------------------
1986 GT Fiero Owner & Enthusiast
For Fiero updates, visit my site and don't forget to click on the ads!
http://educatorstop15.we.bs/fieropage.htm

Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2008 12:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post
Is this a Double DIN stereo?

Or at least taller than the stock opening?
Austrian Import

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2008 12:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Austrian ImportSend a Private Message to Austrian ImportDirect Link to This Post

Austrian Import

3919 posts
Member since Feb 2007

Originally posted by Austrian Import:

Is this a Double DIN stereo?

Or at least taller than the stock opening?

From looking at your pictures in detail, I think I just answered my own question.
It looks to be closer to the stock 1.5 DIN size.

Great work!!

josef644

Feedback score:    (71)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2008 11:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Curlrup:

You will also need two wiring harnesses. One to plug into your exhisting radio plug, and one to wire into that harness that will plug into the Vibe radio.

Curly

Where did you get your harness adapters? I think I am gonna try this. I put a 21 pin adapter onto my Fiero radio harness. The P.O. had cut the factory plug off of the wires. I put a 1999 truck AM/FM/CD in the space and it uses the 21 pin plug.

[This message has been edited by josef644 (edited 05-13-2010).]

kriswinner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 11:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kriswinnerSend a Private Message to kriswinnerDirect Link to This Post
A question for Curlrup...

I used your writeup to do my install. I hacked at my dash and my $5 ebay radio with confidence with your help (my radio had burnt out backlight LEDs that I had to fix).

I used an extra center stack bezel from a prior year to cover up the face, but now it is time to paint it.
Can you give me more details on how you painted it?

1) What paint did you use for the basecoat?
2) Was there special paint or clearcoat that you used to get the texture (or was it a technique that you used)?

I'd appreciate as much detail as you can give me....and thanks for all the info so far. I would have never tried it without your information!

[This message has been edited by kriswinner (edited 05-18-2009).]

PFF
System Bot
ULTRA-kV6

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 04:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ULTRA-kV6Send a Private Message to ULTRA-kV6Direct Link to This Post
ya know the newer Vibes have a 6 disk CD player in them...hmmm.
30+mpg

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
I want a 1.5 DIN unit w/ no CD but an SD slot instead.

One 8 Gig SD card can hold the music from many (how many?) CD's.
DIY_Stu

Feedback score:    (50)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 111
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 06:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DIY_StuClick Here to visit DIY_Stu's HomePageSend a Private Message to DIY_StuDirect Link to This Post
A couple pointers for that stereo. The VIBE and the AVEO stereo's are the ONLY ONES that will work for this. If it doesn't have a wire in Both B1 (Battery) and B2 (IGN) then don't touch it. Also if you iluminate it and all three bulbs don't light up behind the display Don't ever expect to be able to replace them. I can chalk up two display drivers because the display didn't seat properly so now the radio works but the display driver kills any display that gets attached. Just because I tried to replace those bulbs.

kriswinner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2009 10:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for kriswinnerSend a Private Message to kriswinnerDirect Link to This Post
I was able to repair the radio LEDs.
Three soldered-in LEDs later (from Radio Shack), and everything works great. It's already working in my Fiero.
If anyone needs the link for the LED part numbers, let me know...I'm sure I can dig it up.

My radio was from a 2003 Vibe. As stated, the ones with "real" Theftlock don't work. Vibes (Toyota) and Aveo's (Daewoo) only.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2009 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by kriswinner:

A question for Curlrup...

I used your writeup to do my install. I hacked at my dash and my $5 ebay radio with confidence with your help (my radio had burnt out backlight LEDs that I had to fix).

I used an extra center stack bezel from a prior year to cover up the face, but now it is time to paint it.
Can you give me more details on how you painted it?

1) What paint did you use for the basecoat?
2) Was there special paint or clearcoat that you used to get the texture (or was it a technique that you used)?

I'd appreciate as much detail as you can give me....and thanks for all the info so far. I would have never tried it without your information!

I used PPG Global Base coat the same stuff youwould use on the outside of your car. I did a custom color match to the color of the radio and sprayed teh whole thing. Since Ihave access to a graphic rub down system I knew I could put all of teh lettering back on. The drawback is your buttons will not be backlit anymore. After base coat and graphics I mixed up a PPG Concept clearcoat a hefty industrial clear and spattered it on with low air pressure frommy gun and the paint oriface opened up to throw out big chunks of clear. Then let that cure up. The painting is definatly for someone with experience at painting and using paint as a texture. you will not replicate it too well with a rattle can or get as good of a color match. Hope this helps.

Curly
kriswinner

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2009 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kriswinnerSend a Private Message to kriswinnerDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the info.

My initial attempt at trimming the bezel was pretty good, but I used one that didn't match the interior (...I think a silver one from an '86).
I have an '88 Formula.

I guess if my attempt at painting fails, I'm confident enough in my trimming job to try trimming the original one and forgo the painting.
I just couldn't bring myself to mar the surface on my first attempt.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 09:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post
I have a new Fiero that needs a radio. Guess what I ordered off of eBay last night?? Time for Vibe Radio part deux.
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
Mine in my 88. The flash shows it is dusty and needs a wipe off.
Curlrup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-10-2010 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CurlrupSend a Private Message to CurlrupDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by josef644:

Mine in my 88. The flash shows it is dusty and needs a wipe off.

Looks awesome Joe!
josef644

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2010 07:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for josef644Send a Private Message to josef644Direct Link to This Post
I need one of them white 'Fiero' stick on's for the face of my radio.
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock