Started on: 01-15-2008 12:51 PM
Replies: 51
Last post by: MountainHiBlue87GT on 06-30-2010 01:56 AM
darkhorizon

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 451
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 12:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
Everyone seems to have their own setup, and everyone else wants to know what people have done, so I am going to start this out, please help me dig up pictures if I have missed some of past setups.

this is sorta what mine is, Its a bit less bendy now and has tips on, but this setup sorta fit behind with the trunk fully there. Its very quiet but has a slight drone because the muffler is VERY cheap. Resonated tips helped the drone a bit.

Some random pictures of others

This is basicly identical to my other swap, and results in a very very quiet sound (magnaflow muffler) but sounds horrid at wide open.

this is a turbo muffler style setup, I imagine this is just loud period.

------------------
Losing site of our roots in the cathode rays.

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
3.8 SC

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 04:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post
If you use manifolds from a 95 3.8L Mustang, you can use this set-up.

This set-up cleans up the engine compartment and gets the heat away from the intake.
Plus, you get to keep all of your trunk. Heck, you can make your trunk bigger, if you want.
Now mind you, that you do have to modify the cradle, so the muffler will lay flat and the muffler can be a full size.
Not one that has to be chopped up, to get it, to fit in the tight place.

Here is a photo of the Mustang manifold, installed on a 3800 supercharged engine.

This is how I am planning to do mine.

Don Z.

[This message has been edited by 3.8 SC (edited 01-17-2008).]

ducattiman

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ducattimanSend a Private Message to ducattimanDirect Link to This Post
Very well done DH
FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
I too like using the Mustang 3.8 manifolds as they are easy to work with and flow quite nice. There is a few shots of exhausts I have built in the link below my sig. Dan

------------------

Signature compliments of F-I-E-R-O
2003 3800SC series II powered
www.photosled.com/showgallery.php/cat/631
www.photosled.com/showgallery/cat/1583

3.8 SC

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 06:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 3.8 SCSend a Private Message to 3.8 SCDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FIEROFLYER:

I too like using the Mustang 3.8 manifolds as they are easy to work with and flow quite nice. There is a few shots of exhausts I have built in the link below my sig. Dan

That is where I got the information from. Nice work!
$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
heads

It is all TIG welding with stainless filler.

Here it is all painted with cermaic heat paint

Here are pics of what it looks like from under the car

Ye ole exhaust tips, hooker headers 3" resonated dual tips

the tips are large, they look much larger in person, expecially when compared to what archie uses on the V8's
im not a fan of the tips and will be changing them one of these days

------------------

AIM:Onefast2M8
86 GT SC 3800 Intercooled
02 Jetta 1.8t

Originally posted by sostock:
"What you shouldadid was fetch me that shovel from over yonder, now i'm a fixin' to whip your ass ya dick bag."
FIERO1985

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-15-2008 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FIERO1985Send a Private Message to FIERO1985Direct Link to This Post
Heres mine pretty much slp headers customized by me and then 3" mandrels to a magnaflow

pics not the best but you get the idea

------------------
3800sc XP Hot Cam, Comp Pushrods, Comp Lifters, Stage 3 Blower,Ported Lower Manifold, N* Throttle Body, LS1 MAF, Ported Heads,.052 Cometic 4 Layer Headgaskets, Stage 2 ZZP Intercooler, 2.6 Pulley, SLP Headers. Elimislip Pulley Set up, 42.5 Lucas Injectors, Custom Tune! Ahhhhh.....yeah

bull_run

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bull_runSend a Private Message to bull_runDirect Link to This Post

Hi

Does anyone know where I can buy the exhaust flange for the 3.8 SC II Header I am trying to build my own exhaust and I can't seem to find this flange for the headers.

Rob
OHNIKO

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-20-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OHNIKOSend a Private Message to OHNIKODirect Link to This Post
this is a great thread,

some very feasible options here to consider..keep em coming!
Fog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FogSend a Private Message to FogDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by darkhorizon:

I have this setup, but it is WAY too loud.
So bought a new muffler that will gag down the exhaust...
This kind(not the actual one in the garage, but still...):

Should gag down the rumbling a little
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post
I used a spintek muffler with resonator tips

Imo great sound and not too load at idle or while cruising.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

PFF
System Bot
Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 06:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
hey ohio 86 did you cut your trunk?

edit... also what tips are those?

[This message has been edited by Jrgicehc (edited 03-21-2008).]

chrisgtp

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-21-2008 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chrisgtpSend a Private Message to chrisgtpDirect Link to This Post

holy crap why the funky bend in there? welds lookgood thow
ohio86se

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 52
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2008 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ohio86seClick Here to visit ohio86se's HomePageSend a Private Message to ohio86seDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Jrgicehc:

hey ohio 86 did you cut your trunk?

edit... also what tips are those?

No...the trunk was not cut. The muffler mounts between the trunk wall and the engine the same as the original Fiero muffler.

------------------

" DRIVE IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT"

ca420

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 09:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ca420Send a Private Message to ca420Direct Link to This Post
Do you have a pic of the exhaust installed from the bottom? It looks nice might consider doing that
buds

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2008 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for budsSend a Private Message to budsDirect Link to This Post
Not 3800 but still the same idea....2.5" mandrel, Camaro flowmaster cut 4" shorter, high flow cat and cut trunk.

grsychckn

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 07:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknDirect Link to This Post
3" stainless Cat from ebay, 1 3" U-bend, 2 90* 2.5" tubes, and camaro tips.

Zanriel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrielSend a Private Message to ZanrielDirect Link to This Post
I like those Camaro tips. What year did those come off of?

How much do the tips influence the overall sound of the engine, revved and/or idle? I'm curious.

Also, why is it that with a lot of high performance exhaust systems, you get a crackling sound when letting off the gas? Is that normal, and is there a way to prevent it?
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-25-2008 10:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Zanriel:

How much do the tips influence the overall sound of the engine, revved and/or idle? I'm curious.

Also, why is it that with a lot of high performance exhaust systems, you get a crackling sound when letting off the gas? Is that normal, and is there a way to prevent it?

The tips, mufflers, resonators, pipe size, all influence volume, but not so much about changing the tone. You can change the pitch and resonance frequency, but not much.

The cracking during decel is not really anything you can stop, the lack of a cat, and a full sized exhaust you get alot of the exhaust noises squeaking out.
grsychckn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 07:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknDirect Link to This Post

I think the tips came off of a '99 Camaro. Skitime was the first I know of to use them. I didn't have much of a choice as the tips I originally wanted to use were too deep to work with the setup I got. The camaro tips are only 10.5" deep I think, and I still had to cut them to make it work. I really like them though because they seem to fit the shape of the exhaust cutouts in the bumper perfectly.

I'm no exhaust expert, I only play one on TV, but it would be my guess that unless you get resonating tips, the tips you ultimately choose don't make that much of a difference.
Zanriel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 06:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrielSend a Private Message to ZanrielDirect Link to This Post
Aha, that's what I was starting to think. I was trying to look up resonators last night to figure out what those were, and it finally dawned on me that people were talking about tips. Resonating tips look kind of like jet engines to me, does that sound right?

I need to do some more research on that.

Thanks again DH (do people call you that?) for the tech info! That totally makes sense. The sound is there either way, but normal muffler/cat systems either dampen it or change the backpressure enough to cut down on it. There's nothing wrong with it though, it's just the way high performance exhaust systems usually sound because of different acoustics and dynamics. Is that about right?

Since this is the official 3800 thread, and I haven't quite read through the whole thing... well, I should before I ask any more questions, hehe.

I'll be double-posting soon!
PFF
System Bot
Zanriel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 06:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrielSend a Private Message to ZanrielDirect Link to This Post
Okay here's my second post and my question...

What is a nice quiet, yet high performance muffler/cat exhaust system? It looks like I will be getting the rear fascia for my Coupe -> Aero conversion, so I'm going to have dual pipes coming out the back. A lot of people like the loud "aggressive" setups, but I'm going for more of the "strong, silent type". That's why I was really favoring the Dynomax Super Turbo, but... it's too big?

Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Zanriel (edited 03-26-2008).]

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 07:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post

Okay here's my second post and my question...

What is a nice quiet, yet high performance muffler/cat exhaust system? It looks like I will be getting the rear fascia for my Coupe -> Aero conversion, so I'm going to have dual pipes coming out the back. A lot of people like the loud "aggressive" setups, but I'm going for more of the "strong, silent type". That's why I was really favoring the Dynomax Super Turbo, but... it's too big?

Any suggestions?

We have been looking for awhile to find something like this, but sadly we usually give up looking for it as it just does not exist in this size range. Your best bet is going to be the biggest (about 17inch wide body) chambered muffler you can find, with resonated tips, a cat, and maybe an inline resonator or 2.
Zanriel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 11:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrielSend a Private Message to ZanrielDirect Link to This Post
Hey grsy, another question...

What type of muffler did you end up with, and what type of headers are you using?
Zanriel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-26-2008 11:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrielSend a Private Message to ZanrielDirect Link to This Post

Zanriel

30 posts
Member since Mar 2008
Check out this, it looks like it would work and it's the kind I'm thinking of getting anyhow:

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynom...7740/10002/-1?CT=999

It's "F-Body" style. I'm not exactly sure what that means in terms of mufflers, but it has two ports on one side and one port on the other, like the one you had in your picture. It also seems like it's relatively small, but I'm not sure about a 3" pipe with the headers I got. I got the West Coast Fiero headers with Y pipe, and to be honest I don't know the diameter of the opening on that. Here's the description of the muffler though:

"Super Turbo; Muffler; Universal; Oval; 4.25 in. x 9.75 in.; Side - Dual; 3 in. ID; 2.25 in. OD; 20 in. Shell; 26 in. Overall;"

And here's the picture they show:

Does anyone know the diameter of the Y pipe that comes with the WCF headers? Also, someone earlier said that there were installation issues with it or something... what can we expect? It looks like it would work anyhow.

(Edit) Never mind. After looking at the picture more closely, I can see that it wouldn't really be ideal the way it needs to be set up. All the openings should really be even all around.

[This message has been edited by Zanriel (edited 03-27-2008).]

grsychckn

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 03:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for grsychcknSend a Private Message to grsychcknDirect Link to This Post

Hey grsy, another question...

What type of muffler did you end up with, and what type of headers are you using?

I'm using the TOG Extreme headers and a Flowmaster 80 exhaust. The flowmaster has one side with one inlet of 3" and one outlet of 2.5", the other end has an outlet of 2.5" - swap one 2.5" and the 3" on the muffler you have pictured.

[This message has been edited by grsychckn (edited 03-27-2008).]

Zanriel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrielSend a Private Message to ZanrielDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone have a good clean shot of the underbelly of a 3800 installed Fiero? I'm having trouble picturing where all the plumbing and connections go. I can imagine how it could be extremely tricky to get an exhaust system to fit in there without cutting into the trunk, but I have a tough time thinking about different ideas without knowing what it looks like.

I'm sure there's one in an install thread though... but maybe someone has one handy?

I found this link, but it doesn't really show much:

http://dtcc.cz28.com/swap/3800.htm

It does look like a pretty good general writeup though.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2008 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
My thread has a trunk cutting discussion....

------------------
Losing sight of our roots in the cathode rays.

Ultimate 3800 swap thread

Zanriel

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-28-2008 05:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ZanrielSend a Private Message to ZanrielDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll check that out! I've looked through it some but I'll take a closer look.
bull_run

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bull_runSend a Private Message to bull_runDirect Link to This Post

Anyone know where I can get the Exhaust Flange that connects to the 3.8 SC II Header. I am in search of 1 as I am about to build my custom exhaust. Anyone know? looking for a 2.5" exhaust Flange. for the factory header.

Thanks in Advance.

Rob
Younggun88

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 11:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Younggun88Send a Private Message to Younggun88Direct Link to This Post
Ill take pics of mine after it is done. You can find 2.5 flanges on ebay for cheap.
PFF
System Bot
bull_run

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2008 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bull_runSend a Private Message to bull_runDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Younggun88:

Ill take pics of mine after it is done. You can find 2.5 flanges on ebay for cheap.

I can't seem to find the flange that fits on the Header. as that header Flange enter hole circumference is 2.5''. Center bolt hole to center bolt hole is more than 5.5"

I only find the Center bolt hole to center bolt hole is 4" which is not what I want.

darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 02:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I would consider hogging out a stock downpipe flange if you have it.. I know I have a few..

My exhaust shop had the right flange laying around also, sold it to me for next to nothing also.
LAMBO

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-09-2008 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LAMBOSend a Private Message to LAMBODirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by bull_run:

Anyone know where I can get the Exhaust Flange that connects to the 3.8 SC II Header. I am in search of 1 as I am about to build my custom exhaust. Anyone know? looking for a 2.5" exhaust Flange. for the factory header.

Thanks in Advance.

Rob

I got mine here.
http://www.zzperformance.co...php?id=776&catid=110

Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 09:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post
Well Im going to revive this thread since I just took the exhaust off my car to paint it....

it is 3 inch in with dual 2.5 inch out. Flotech afterburner muffler
Painted without tips

Front side with the precisely engineered dent

Passenger Side view (pipes were not level because everything was loose to paint)

On the car...

[This message has been edited by Jrgicehc (edited 06-24-2008).]

Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post

Well Im going to revive this thread since I just took the exhaust off my car to paint it....

it is 3 inch in with dual 2.5 inch out. Flotech afterburner muffler
Painted without tips

Front side with the precisely engineered dent

Passenger Side view (pipes were not level because everything was loose to paint)

On the car...

This is pretty much the same exhaust as I am planning, I'm ordering the stuff tomorrow. What did you use right off the flange, a 3" 90* bend? Could you not use a 180* U bend from there to the muffler? Was it not a tight enough bend? So is that just a U bend with the bend cut and shortened, then welded back together?

Oh, and what kind of paint did you use to paint it?

[This message has been edited by Fiero Owner (edited 06-24-2008).]

Jrgicehc

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2008 11:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JrgicehcSend a Private Message to JrgicehcDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fiero Owner:

This is pretty much the same exhaust as I am planning, I'm ordering the stuff tomorrow. What did you use right off the flange, a 3" 90* bend? Could you not use a 180* U bend from there to the muffler? Was it not a tight enough bend? So is that just a U bend with the bend cut and shortened, then welded back together?

Oh, and what kind of paint did you use to paint it?

Yea thats a 3" 90 right off the flange, it was cut real tight.
The bend needed after that needs to be way too tight, I could have used a 180 and cut it like that but I f-ed up the one 3 inch 180 I purchased. I then bought 2 90's from napa to make that bend. Each side of that is cut exactly the same so it fit together real good without any crazy welding needed. You need to spend some time measuring so you dont spend alot of time welding.

As for paint..

Got it at advance auto parts, it has very good directions, and it looks good so far. The best part was it only needs to dry for a half hour. Then you can put the system on the car and bake it by idling it for 10 min, then cool it for 20, then idling for 20, then cool it for 20. then you go for a half hour drive and your done. I guess we will see how good it holds up.
darkhorizon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2008 01:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for darkhorizonSend a Private Message to darkhorizonDirect Link to This Post
I hate those tight bends... I still have mine in there and I know its costing me HP.
Fiero Owner

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-25-2008 06:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero OwnerSend a Private Message to Fiero OwnerDirect Link to This Post

Yea thats a 3" 90 right off the flange, it was cut real tight.
The bend needed after that needs to be way too tight, I could have used a 180 and cut it like that but I f-ed up the one 3 inch 180 I purchased. I then bought 2 90's from napa to make that bend. Each side of that is cut exactly the same so it fit together real good without any crazy welding needed. You need to spend some time measuring so you dont spend alot of time welding.

As for paint..

Got it at advance auto parts, it has very good directions, and it looks good so far. The best part was it only needs to dry for a half hour. Then you can put the system on the car and bake it by idling it for 10 min, then cool it for 20, then idling for 20, then cool it for 20. then you go for a half hour drive and your done. I guess we will see how good it holds up.

I just ordered all my exhaust bends and muffler today, same muffler you used actually. I'm putting the 3800SC in an 88GT as well. Let me know how that paint holds up, I'll look into getting some of it.
BV MotorSports

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2008 03:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Previous Page | Next Page

This topic is 2 pages long:  1   2 

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock